Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted about my X type lacking power, but not throwing up any warning lights etc. Driving OK, but it had lost its sparkle.....Thought MAF, EGR/manifold clogging up, or turbo.....

Finally got around to looking into this. Whipped the air filter box out, and took the EGR off - nothing to report, so took the manifold off, but that was clean too. Looked at the turbo pipe with the inspection light, seemed fine. Getting a bit despondent. Decided to take the turbo pipe off. A few choice words later, and a few bruised knuckles, and off it came......this is what I found. A huge split, hidden from view. £41 later, the new one was on, and OMG what a transformation, goes like a rocket again, even at 152,000 miles. Smiles all round. A bit of DIY and a fortune saved yet again thanks to this fantastic forum.
Sleeve Bag Comfort Grey Luggage and bags

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hi Mark, keep your eye on the bottom 90 degree hose below the MAP sensor as this also split on mine well after changing the big one.

Foger

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I will keep an eye on that too....might be worth replacing as a bit of preventative maintenance. EGR blanked off 5 years ago!!!

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Worth considering Silicon as they do not split.

Roger

· Registered
155 Posts
On this other 90 degree hose, where exactly is it situated? Below the piece which the OPs pipe connects to? Do you inspect it from under the car?

I also changed the 1st pipe to a blue silicon one, needs a bit of soap or something to slip it on, but it looks strong enough.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure - but the last genuine Jag one one lasted 150k miles, and I wanted something that I knew would fit OK, and that I could get off the shelf this afternoon.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
My Jag one lasted just 53k, the new one (also Jag has lasted 54k and still ok. The other one lasted 101K so I put on a silicon as it is so awkward to get to.
Nick the 90 degree one is below the MAP sensor you have to remove the radiator shield to get to it. I must admit I found it easier to remove the whole pipe from the EGR and set it up with the MAP sensor and just have the one clip to tighten at each end.

Roger.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
When I worked for Rover we used to have loads of 827's coming in for lack of power. It was always the floor mat that had moved under the accelerator pedal!

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
When I worked for Rover we used to have loads of 827's coming in for lack of power. It was always the floor mat that had moved under the accelerator pedal!
I had one of them the Stirling fastback, Brilliant car with the Honda 827 engine but fairly thirsty.

Roger

· Registered
149 Posts
I had one of them the Stirling fastback, Brilliant car with the Honda 827 engine but fairly thirsty.

Roger
The Fastback shape 800 series was a brilliant vehicle concept wise (reliability is each owners subjectivity). When my 1996 'T' Series finally set me too many unsolvable issues (financial as well as mechanical) I had to retire it in June 2016. Did 30mpg at motorway speeds or around town. I replaced it with a '05 x-type estate. Power is the same but two more cylinders to feed so a little more thirsty. Computer says 32mpg, my back-of-a-*** packet maths says about 25mpg. I had hoped the estate would at least equal the Fastback Rover for load space dimensions but the Rover takes the accolades in those respects.

What was the list price of an 'X' (SE) in 2005? The £29k Rover came with a 6-CD changer, the Jag just a single disc Panasonic CD unit. You just can't beat progress.

Kev

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I agree with the 30mpg on motorways but around town was about 19mpg. I got 27mpg towing.
I had two , an 827 Vitesse fastback and the Stirling. I had no major problems with them and parts were cheap compared to the Jag. The only recurring problem was the dreaded driver dooor switch pack which had to be dismantled and resoldered a few times and the rattle from the cams at tickover but the engines would outlast the car and were more or less bulletproof if maintained correctly.

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.