Front brake discs

Piousx

Reaction score
I replaced my discs and pads (Berkshire Jag Components but I can't remember which brand - maybe TRW) about 18 months ago and have done 14k miles since. I replaced them because they were juddering and all has been well since but the judder is back. Is it best to spend the least amount of money on discs as they are all likely to warp or a lot of money as the more expensive ones are made of something that will last longer? Euro Car Parts are £51.14 for a pair of Eicher discs, Rimmers are £233.24 for OEM.

Many thanks - Chris

JimC64

Reaction score
I replaced my discs and pads (Berkshire Jag Components but I can't remember which brand - maybe TRW) about 18 months ago and have done 14k miles since. I replaced them because they were juddering and all has been well since but the judder is back. Is it best to spend the least amount of money on discs as they are all likely to warp or a lot of money as the more expensive ones are made of something that will last longer? Euro Car Parts are £51.14 for a pair of Eicher discs, Rimmers are £233.24 for OEM.

Many thanks - Chris
Chris, are you sure its the discs?

Checked for sticking calipers etc, all else all A ok?

Jim

Piousx

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Truthfully I've only just noticed it creeping back in and it's too bloomin cold to stand outside and take the wheels off so I'm doing the chair based tasks first. Just sounding out the group on their approach to discs.

Cheers Chris

MrKis

Reaction score
As Jim says plus worn suspension components. You’d have to check the discs for runout.
Although, Jaguars do seem to suffer from brake judder more than most.

Have a good look at the discs. Can you see shadows or outlines of the brake pads?

I think any disc is susceptible to damage causing judder. But some have said the OEM discs last a bit better.

JimC64

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Truthfully I've only just noticed it creeping back in and it's too bloomin cold to stand outside and take the wheels off so I'm doing the chair based tasks first. Just sounding out the group on their approach to discs.

Cheers Chris
Had something similar on my X358 some years ago Chris

Changed out everything......discs n pads, came back after 4 or 5k miles

Front wishbones looked suspect, they got done too, were coming due anyway

Wheels as I thought I had a wobble ( one of them had a very good crack repair )

Turned out to be a sticking caliper

After you've been out for a run and park up, just check each wheel, see if one is noticeably hotter than the other.......worth checking as it may be your issue

Jim

JimboV8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Any unevenness in pad wear may reveal a sticking calliper.

JimC64

Reaction score
Chris, here is some of my issues that seem similar on my 358, probably around half way through

If you read onwards ( skipping the other stuff ) you'll see where I got too

Worth ruling out as if you stick new pads and discs on, the problem will simply come back sooner rather than later

Jim