Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been told by my garage that I have hidden rust on my Front Chassis legs. He poked it with a screwdriver and bits fell out! I know I can cover up and hide the stuff but I would like it done proper and some plates etc welded on. My garage does not know how to get to the legs. I certainly dont. So any pointers? Does it involve removing engines etc? Cutting panels to get at it?

I have asked FrankC and he could not help. Just thought it safer to get them repaired rather than hide the stuff and he suggested asking Race Diagnostics but I cant see how having it tuned could help. :confused:

So can anyone tell me how to get to the legs to weld?

G

·
Simon.

The reference to RaceDiagnostics is because over the years, he has reported and photographed in great detail how he solved the rust problems on his car (which were many !!!). If you do a search on this, and the "US" site, you can probably find them.

The rust is most likely behind the spring/shock-absorber assembly (coilover) much of which is hidden by the plastic inner liner. This can be removed fairly easily for a closer inspection. But - I think the 'bottom line' is that you will have to drop the front subframe in order to have enough access to the metalwork for a proper welding repair. The engine can be supported from above, so it doesn't have to come out of the car.

I will try and find RD's post on this, and put it here with an edit if I can find it.

Edit - you could read through this one for starters !!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...-left-when-turning-getting-worse-91230/page3/

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
that's not "front chassis legs rust". More likely is the side of the longerons behind the front subframe where the upper wishbone inner pivots are.

repair is actually quite straightforward, but you do need to drop the front subframe to do it properly.

Mine has been done at some point in the past, but I'm suspicious that it hasn't been done right. It's going to get re-done over the winter this year

and for reference, you don't need to remove the engine - it is possible to support the engine while you take off the subframe

·
7,785 Posts
This whole subject has got me curious. After looking at this post and doing some research it seems to be quite a problem on our cars. Whilst I have blitzed every inch of rust I can find on my car I am a little concerned that there may be hidden rust. Now here is my dilemma.......... do I go looking or leave well alone and live in ignorance? I had a peek upwards when I last saw my car up on a 4 poster and made a mental note to tackle some evidence of a tiny bit rust I saw 'up there' if you know what I mean. That could be indicative of problems in hidden sections? Its going to niggle at me now. Hmmmmmmmmm. Looks like I am going to have to have words with the garage. I no longer have the enthusiasm, or the right tools, to look in to this. On the other hand I could be opening up a whole new can of worms. Anything I can easily poke or prod to tell me I have the same problems, in those hidden bits, that Simon does?

Something for me to ponder. What would you do?

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
What would you do?
I would wait until the next MOT and ether ask the chap doing it to look or ask if I can get under and look myself but until then I wouldn't worry about it :wink:

·
7,785 Posts
I would wait until the next MOT and ether ask the chap doing it to look or ask if I can get under and look myself but until then I wouldn't worry about it :wink:
It had its MOT last October and flew through it. Doubt they would have checked in the hidden spots though. Still pondering........... :D

G

·
Frank.
Having read (I think) all of your posts and threads over the years, I would hazard a guess that the only place there could be rust you don't know about is in the hidden part of the double skin floor panels. (I don't remember you ever saying you have had the carpets out or this area already repaired).

If you get the car on a lift, you could try poking a bit of thin stiff wire (like a coat hanger) into the open ends of those panels and see if there solid metal there, or (as in my case) the underside of the carpets !!

·
7,785 Posts
Been chatting, via email, to my garage man. It looks like he is going to take it in and start poking about. Dont know when yet. Here is my logic..........

1... I could sell the car and truly say I do not know of any rust....... Would never do that. Treat others as you would hope to be treated. No plans to sell the car either.
2... I could keep the car and totally ignore any potential problems. That's not me. Could be dangerous? Perhaps if I had acted earlier etc It would bug me till I got it looked at.
3... I can keep the car. Get the areas inspected. See if I do have a problem. No problems no worries.
4... I can keep the car. Get the areas inspected. If it needs it get it fixed. Ok its more money down the drain but once its done and its done. Not only that if I have the sub frame dropped I can access all sorts of areas previously not available to me. Perhaps get the engine mounts replaced. Fog lights? All sorts of stuff is possible. In future years I can truly say its 100% with a clear conscience when I sell it. Though selling is very unlikely but none of us knows what the future holds.

Sounds like I am talking myself into option 4.:cool:

·
7,785 Posts
I inspected the floor panels when I first got the car. However when I did it I just killed surface rust. Hammerited, undersealed and waxoyl'd. At the time I was unaware of the double skin problem. Going to ask him to remove what he can and start poking about with a pointed screwdriver. May as well get that done too if it needs it. Just more to add to the list. Best get it done before spring.

G

·
You can't really remove anything but ................... it's a plate about 350mm or so square (on each side of the car) which is welded to the floor panel on only two sides. The gap between the two "skins" is only 2/3mm so an ideal place for water and mud to penetrate and then just sit there quietly rusting the inner floor panel which you can't see.

The panel has no structural significance and, as I understand it, is only there because of the manufacturing process and is a legacy from the old XJS design.

New panels are readily available so apart from a fair amount of labour to remove the carpets and trim, it's not a particularly difficult job.

Yes- a thin screwdriver or length of stiff wire should reveal any major problems. If there aren't any, it might be worth considering using a good seam-sealant to totally block up the two open sides of that panel.

(Much easier to see than to describe in words !!)

·
7,785 Posts
The thing I was going to remove was all the under seal I put on there to protect it. Probably power wash it off so he can weld if necessary. I can always re-apply the seal afterwards. I really thought I had got rid of all the rust until I saw all these horror pictures of hidden rust pockets. I even replaced rusty washers and screws.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.