Front Passenger Window Alignment Adjustment

Shug

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm investigating how to adjust the alignment of the passenger front window slightly.

Currently I'm suffering a slight leak when rinsing the car with a hosepipe and I'm getting more wind noise from the passenger side when compared to the driver side. I'm hoping with a minor tweek, I can cure/improve both problems. I'm aware that wind noise was and still is an issue with the Coupe but I'm happy to dabble a few times to try and improve things a bit.

Does anyone have any advice, photo's etc on how to do this?

Thanks

Mparrish

Reaction score
Pull the door panel off, look for window nut on inside panel, tweak until adjustment fits need. Put back on door panel

Shug

Reaction score
Thanks ;)

It was indeed sort of like you suggested.

1st attempt took about 5 hours. I'll post up some photo's etc for anyone else who is thinking of this. And also the problems I've hit with attempt 1.

Some improvement, but still a good whistle at speed, :? so will attempt again Should only be about and hour - two next time around :eek:

Shug

Reaction score
Attempt #2, 3, 4 & 5 today. Still suffering the whistle on the passenger window :sad:

This was my method. Please note I have never removed a door card so this was a bit of a learning curve. I'm happy I can do this fairly quickly now so hopefully this may help someone else. Note, I do not claim this to be the best or correct way to do things.

1st of I put a couple of bits of tape on the window marked a reference line and then measured to the rain gutter. I wrote the size onto the tape. As the drivers door doesn't whistle I checked the dimensions at approximately the same points (approx 4mm difference). This seemed to be my goal (Hahahaha :roll: Hindsight is wonderful)

Door Card Removal

XJC%20Door%20Card_zpsi6qi60yp.png.html

Remove the door handle and pockets. This needs the chrome trim at the front of the handle to be slid back along the handle, I use a flat blade screwdriver under the front edge and prized it back. This reveals a screw underneath. Release this screw.

Underneath the door pocket there are 3 screws, remove these.

I removed the chrome trim from inside the Door Pocket, This slides off.

XJC%20Door%20Card%202_zpsmlakzb1y.png.html

The handle and pocket assembly is now held in place by 2 "T" pins in keyhole slots. A gentle tug upwards releases these, allowing the assembly to be removed and placed aside.

XJC%20Door%20Card%203_zps0yb0gpie.png.html

The door card has a number of plastic pins around the front, rear and lower edges use your preferences in tools to lift these edges away from the door. I'd bought a set of plastic tools but didn't need to use them due to the poor condition of my door card. The card just pulled easily off. The top edge of the card is inserted underneath the door crash roll so when the bottom of the card is released from it's pins then a gentle pull down allows the door card to be fully released. Again store safely.

The plastic sheet covering the door can be seen. Peel this off.

The crash roll is held on by 3 screws along the bottom edge, remove these and the crash roll will lift upwards of a number of pins.

XJC%20Door%20Card%204_zpsvtmtp68g.png.html
Sorry the photo has the crash roll and plastic still attached.

The window has 4 bolts allowing vertical adjustment. 1 horizontal bolt in each corner. The rear upper bolt is accessed by removing the rubber pad that is at the top edge of the door just below the window line. See the photo with the spanner through the opening. The other 3 bolts are accessed through holes in the inner door skin. I use a flat lever the raise the window mounting frame whilst tightening 1 bolt then swap to the other end and repeat.

My 1st major problem:-

Window%20Regulator%20Repair_zpscizw0g9c.png.html

After adjusting the vertical height of the window mounting frame then raising the window the rubber plug in the rear of the door was forced back out by the window. After comparing both doors for a comparison I decided to try the horizontal adjustment. To access the front bolt the speaker pod has to be removed. The rear bolt is next to 1 of 4 frame mounting bolts. Again these are on slots so pushing/pulling alters where the window tracks.

After a tweek and then checking again the rubber was fine but the motor struggled to finish the close with the door shut. A fairly loud clunk later and the window was in-operative AAAAh! :(

Operating the window button showed the motor was in fact turning, just the window wasn't moving. Removal of the regulator found the arm had detached from a previous repair. This was cleaned, and then after digging the welder from the back of the shed, a quick couple of welds, a bit of dressing and greasing later and the regulator was ready to go back in.

Re-assembly was the normal statement of " the reverse of the dis-assembly". Road trip to see how good my tweek was, well, well, well No significant change :(

Soooo where did I end up. . . . . well the second day I decided to not put everything back together to see or hear if I'd made an improvement. Several attempts with very limited success, shuffling the window up down in out I just needed to do the hokey cokey to finish things off. So for now I'm happy I can do this, I'm just not sure if the adjustment is the problem. I'm going to have another look at the drivers side to see what the other differences are. I've had the glass in a very similar position so there's something else I'm missing.

v/8 George

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm investigating how to adjust the alignment of the passenger front window slightly.

Currently I'm suffering a slight leak when rinsing the car with a hosepipe and I'm getting more wind noise from the passenger side when compared to the driver side. I'm hoping with a minor tweek, I can cure/improve both problems. I'm aware that wind noise was and still is an issue with the Coupe but I'm happy to dabble a few times to try and improve things a bit.

Does anyone have any advice, photo's etc on how to do this?

Thanks

v/8 George

Reaction score
will. have to look at. door. alignment. as body is like. new. only. drivers. door. no noise on. passenger. side