Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have noticed that both front tyres are wearing heavily on the very inside edge. Never had that before, especially so quickly as the tyres are fairly new and still have 5mm + of tread on them.
I'm guessing that something in the front suspension is worn. Everything in the suspension is factory original and has done 50k miles.
Visually everything looks fine, I can't really see any excessive movement with a pry bar but I'm not an expert at this.
I seem to recall that a few years ago the dealer said that the banana arms were leaking but not worth replacing at that stage. I guess they must have fluid filled bushes, they also look quite rusty. Could these cause the inner edge wear. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
May be worth getting those arms checked and or replaced first and then have the geometry tested on completion.

Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
get the tracking checked first.

Mine is at 145k on mostly all original suspension components minus the drop links, no wear at all..

Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmm, this is my dilemma. I'm sure the tracking could be adjusted back to spec but would that be papering over the cracks if there is something worn in the suspension?

Nothing seems to knock or have play in it but those tyres have worn very quickly and only on the very inside edge. Tracking was done 15k miles ago.

Cords are showing on the inside edge. The three central water channels are worn pretty evenly.

aIMG_3193.JPG

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
I'm sure the tracking could be adjusted back to spec but would that be papering over the cracks if there is something worn in the suspension?
Exactly why it should be checked out first before having the geometry done.(y)

·
Registered
986 Posts
With the price of tyres nowadays, best to make sure there's no wear or damage, then have not only the tracking, but the camber and rear end checked as well.
After a rear suspension rebuild, and a double check of front suspension components, I've had a four wheel alignment done on mine. Fronts were still spot on, and the rear adjusted to spec, and the difference can really be felt in the handling. Although there was very little movement in any of the bushes etc I replaced, and geometry had been checked when I first got the car as I felt the front tracking was out (rightly so as it turned out), replacing them and getting it all back where it should be was worth the effort.

Reactions: JimboV8

·
Registered
504 Posts
Firstly make sure you have 40 psi in the tyres. Low presure will casue ware on the edge.
Next get the tracking checked.
Only then start looking for other suspension faults.

Mellow

·
Registered
986 Posts
Firstly make sure you have 40 psi in the tyres. Low presure will casue ware on the edge.
Next get the tracking checked.
Only then start looking for other suspension faults.

Mellow
Always run my pressures at around 34/35psi, and not had any wear prob's, but agreed, too low and the edges will wear.
I don't see the point in getting tracking done, then looking and finding an issue so you have to do it again. Surely it's better to make sure everything is good before having tracking done ?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Always run my pressures at around 34/35psi, and not had any wear prob's, but agreed, too low and the edges will wear.
I don't see the point in getting tracking done, then looking and finding an issue so you have to do it again. Surely it's better to make sure everything is good before having tracking done ?
The correct tyre presure for an STR is 40psi front and rear.
I think it is less for the other cars in the range??

Mellow

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
For me the two go hand in hand. If the tyres are wearing unevenly, the car probably also steers less cleanly than expected. Something is wrong with the suspension: out of adjustment, something worn or bent or even both.

Any decent place that does alignments should also be able to look at the tyre wear and have a pretty good idea what is causing the problem and be able to tell you if realignment is all that is required.

From the photo, it isn't obvious how that inner wear has happened, hugely incorrect camber (unlikely but possible) or somewhat excessive toe out. Camber problems exhibit fairly smooth wear. Toe errors cause a jagged, saw tooth pattern. Next would be to look for the cause of the excessive effective setting. Maybe it is just badly adjusted. Maybe it is something faulty. With just 50k miles, if the car feels otherwise tight, I would expect that it isn't anything major. But with that wear pattern, it would expect that the car would be rather sensitive to any road surface changes and be overly sensitive/twitchy when driving straight.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The correct tyre presure for an STR is 40psi front and rear.
I think it is less for the other cars in the range??

Mellow
Pressures vary depending on wheel and tyre size, and speeds and load. According to my cars hand book, the wider lower profile tyres run a slightly lower pressure than the narrower taller profiles, and range from 31psi to 39psi. The 'R' models are listed as 245/40 R 18 (front) 28psi for speeds below 100mph and 36psi for speeds above 100 mph and 275/35 R 18 (rear) 32 psi and 38 psi respectively, none are listed as high as 40psi?

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Really gutted to have this issue. These tyres are £400 a pair and they were new 15k miles ago and then I had to buy another one about 10k miles ago due to a pothole, now I have ordered another two, so that's a grand on just front tyres in 15k miles. Although I will sell the remaining good tyre for probably £70. Woohoo.

The tyres are 245/35/19 and 275/30/19
The book pressures are 33 front and 35 rear - this is what I run, or a tad over 34F 36R. I have done this for 15+ years and this wear issue is new.

Here is another shot of the worn out tyre. I can't see any saw tooth pattern but the horizontal grooves in these tyres are not big.

aIMG_3195.JPG

aIMG_3197.JPG

aIMG_3196.JPG

The tread across most of the tyre looks even.
The bit showing the cords is on the shoulder of the tyre, it almost looks like it doesn't make contact with the ground, but must do.
Funnily enough, one of the BMWs wears rear tyres like this. It has been back to BMW and triple checked, it will do this to a rear tyre in about 25k miles. But the Jag has always worn them evenly.

Here is the other tyre on the LHS, which is a little newer but seems to be going down the same road, pardon the pun.
These grooves measure 6.5mm to 6mm but the inner (pictured right) shoulder again looks very worn.

aIMG_3200.JPG

aIMG_3201.JPG

Here are the tracking results from Jaguar 15k miles ago.

aIMG_3203.JPG

aIMG_3202.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I still would have the tracking checked again. A bump against the curb can be enough to get it out of spec.

As for the tire pressure. If you have under inflated tires they wear on both outsides and with over inflation they wear in the middle of the tire.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
This video shows where all the problem areas and how to check them.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I have just found this on the American forum.

These are Brutal instructions on how to set the it up.

Attachments

Reactions: orsom weels

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It still looks to me as though it's rubbing on something.
I've had a good look underneath and in the arch and there isn't anything it can rub on, everything is factory in there, as is the suspension. I agree that given the wear is right on the shoulder, it does look abnormal. Thanks

I still would have the tracking checked again. A bump against the curb can be enough to get it out of spec.

As for the tire pressure. If you have under inflated tires they wear on both outsides and with over inflation they wear in the middle of the tire.
Thanks. I will be getting it aligned again, just got to make sure there's nothing badly worn first. I'll do some checking myself first, for what it's worth, and then think about having it professionally checked before alignment.

This video shows where all the problem areas and how to check them.

Thanks, will look at this tomorrow.

I have just found this on the American forum.

These are Brutal instructions on how to set the it up.
Interesting. All the front settings on this sheet are off what I have in the workshop manual. My manual says 2002.5-2008.
It looks like only the rear Toe is different on the STR, the rest is as all models. Which is surprising.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts