Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK after my low oil pressure light came on last week I have not driven the car so today changed oil and about 700mls extra came out I put 6 1/2ltr in about 6 mths ago.

Time to get it to garage or wait and see if it happens again ?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Did you use the correct spec oil? The wrong type will cause dpf regen issues. How did you get the oil out? Pump from the top or drain on the sump?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pumped out from top but have just measured the bucket that I emptied the oil into which showed 8ltrs but in fact the reading in the bucket is wrong so just worked out that about 700ml extra oil came out not 1.5ltrs that I first thought.

Yes used Millers oil and double checked before buying now have Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5w-30 Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do you still have the old oil?
If you do, give it the ol' sniff test and if it has been contaminated with diesel you should be able to smell it.
If you're not sure take the old oil into your local garage and ask them to check it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Whatever's in the oil it doesnt explain the low pressure warning light you had. If that comes on again its time to get the car into a garage that can measure the pressure accurately with an external gauge, or get the sensor changed and hope its that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, when filling with oil never fill to the max mark, about halfway between the min and max, this allows you to see if the oil level rises and gives an early indication of any problems. Phil

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes can smell fuel and its about 700ml of it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, when filling with oil never fill to the max mark, about halfway between the min and max, this allows you to see if the oil level rises and gives an early indication of any problems. Phil
Not easy without dipstick this dash readout is daft.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some urgent advice needed Pl's

Go my car booked into my local indi who I have only ever used to flash my TPMS software so not taken it in for any mechanical stuff.

Called in today just to confirm time they want it in and told him I had 700ml of fuel in oil and had the low oil pressure light come up for 5 mins last week. He told me that it was probebly a leaky injector and that any problems with regens would not cause fuel to leak into oil ? thats not what I have picked up here most of you say it is quiet possible. Than I told him I changed the oil yesterday and put 6.5ltrs back but he said it needed 6.9ltrs in it ? thats not right is it.Also I asked if the could check the oil pressure and he didn't know how to do this on my car. I'm not sure I want them looking at my car TBH just get the feeling they are used to perhaps the older Jags what do you think.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, I wouldn't use them, there is no dispute that incomplete regeneration of the DPF leads to fuel in the oil, also the sump does not take 6.9 litres, check your handbook, if he doesn't know how to check the oil level how the h*ll does he do an oil change. Phil

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, I wouldn't use them, there is no dispute that incomplete regeneration of the DPF leads to fuel in the oil, also the sump does not take 6.9 litres, check your handbook, if he doesn't know how to check the oil level how the h*ll does he do an oil change. Phil
Doesn't sound very promising does it.

I will cancel tomorrow but don't know what to do now, I phoned the main dealer and they want £180 per hour labour so I'm stuck with a car that im not sure I should be driving.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There must be other indies within reasonable distance, try and get a recommendation off people, if you have changed the oil I don't think you will do any harm driving it. Phil

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There must be other indies within reasonable distance, try and get a recommendation off people, if you have changed the oil I don't think you will do any harm driving it. Phil
He kind of put the wind up me by saying it could be the engine on it's last legs he then went on to say he wouldn't be driving it so that got me worried. I do have a theory which is it's been 6 mths since I changed the oil and since then ive done about 3,800mls of mainly A road driving not on M-way much at all. I think it could have been struggling to regen correctly and dumping fuel which has built up overtime thinned the oil and thrown up low pressure Waring briefly which ive not seen since.

A part of me just wants to take it out on a long M-way run every week and see how it goes but for sure I can't afford to have major repairs done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
To be fair, the OP asked about checking the oil pressure not level but yeah, something`s not quite right. I wouldn`t trust them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
He kind of put the wind up me by saying it could be the engine on it's last legs he then went on to say he wouldn't be driving it so that got me worried. I do have a theory which is it's been 6 mths since I changed the oil and since then ive done about 3,800mls of mainly A road driving not on M-way much at all. I think it could have been struggling to regen correctly and dumping fuel which has built up overtime thinned the oil and thrown up low pressure Waring briefly which ive not seen since.

A part of me just wants to take it out on a long M-way run every week and see how it goes but for sure I can't afford to have major repairs done.
Do you have the facilities to do an oil change yourself, if so do one now with a new filter, it takes 6.5 litres if changing the filter, just under 6.0 litres if no filter swap, don't be frightened by this comedian, he is after your business and your money for doing nothing. Phil

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have the facilities to do an oil change yourself, if so do one now with a new filter, it takes 6.5 litres if changing the filter, just under 6.0 litres if no filter swap, don't be frightened by this comedian, he is after your business and your money for doing nothing. Phil
Yes Phil as I posted earlier I did the oil and filter change yesterday thats how I know 700ml too much came out and it smelt of fuel I put 6.3ltrs back to allow for any future rise.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I don't think that anoint of fuel in the oil will thin it enough to cause a low pressure warning. You either have a goosed engine or a faulty pressure sensor/wiring. The fuel in oil is a secondary issue. It could be caused by a leakng injector but that would show as other symptoms such as leaving clouds of smoke behind you and rough running especially on start up. It could also be caused by your remap. Your majority A road diving should be enough to keep the dfp happy

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Some urgent advice needed Pl's

Go my car booked into my local indi who I have only ever used to flash my TPMS software so not taken it in for any mechanical stuff.

Called in today just to confirm time they want it in and told him I had 700ml of fuel in oil and had the low oil pressure light come up for 5 mins last week. He told me that it was probebly a leaky injector and that any problems with regens would not cause fuel to leak into oil ? thats not what I have picked up here most of you say it is quiet possible. Than I told him I changed the oil yesterday and put 6.5ltrs back but he said it needed 6.9ltrs in it ? thats not right is it.Also I asked if the could check the oil pressure and he didn't know how to do this on my car. I'm not sure I want them looking at my car TBH just get the feeling they are used to perhaps the older Jags what do you think.
DPF failed regens and fuel being dumped into the oil are all well documented through this and many other Jaguar forums and across the wider community as a whole

The fact he doesn't seem to know this along with other points you mention would have me running for the hills!

Like Phil, I too change my oil and only ever fill to around the halfway mark to allow for this somewhat

You need to shop around and get yourself a good Indy as soon as possible

Good luck
Jim

·
Registered
998 Posts
DPF failed regens and fuel being dumped into the oil are all well documented through this and many other Jaguar forums and across the wider community as a whole

The fact he doesn't seem to know this along with other points you mention would have me running for the hills!

Like Phil, I too change my oil and only ever fill to around the halfway mark to allow for this somewhat

You need to shop around and get yourself a good Indy as soon as possible

Good luck
Jim
Jim is very right there. It is quite common for some diesel to get into the oil and it is usually incomplete regeneration of the DPF that is the cause. When the DPF goes into regeneration, fuel is injected for an extended time, and this un-burnt fuel is dragged down the exhaust which burns in the cat at the front of the DPF. The DPF needs to get to 600 degrees to burn away the contaminants. If your DPF is partly blocked by final ash, it will regenerate many more times than when completely empty. This often leads to fuel bore washing and the fuel passes the rings and contaminates the oil. A good Indy would change the oil, complete a forced regeneration and use a diagnostic device to check that the DPF is properly empty.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.