Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I just bought a 1985 xjs in a sad state of repair, and I need some advice on pulling the fuel tank out, it's drained, disconnected, and unbolted from inside the trunk, but it won't budge. I removed the rear seat back to see if there are any hidden fasteners, but there don't seem to be. I didn't go as far as scraping off the adhesive foam back there but I don't feel any covers or bolts under it. Can anyone tell me if there's something that I'm missing? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Spud, I did remove the filler. From what I can find online I don't think there are any hidden fasteners, just the support straps in the trunk. There appears to be a big foam pad at the front of the tank, as well as the one under it, and I'm thinking that 32 years has converted those into glue. At this point I may hold off on pulling it out so that I don't destroy it. I really want to hear the engine run before I make long term plans for this car. Crankcase was full of stale fuel, I'm going to change oil and filter and see what the oil pressure and compression looks like next.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have taken the straps off and the filler pipes and breather/fuel pipes. It should come out. It must just be a tight fit
With the foam. Good luck

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BB, I actually came across your photos while I was looking online. Your trunk and whole setup appears identical to mine as well, right down to the color. Did you have any trouble pulling the tank out once everything was disconnected? Mine just will not budge an inch! The good news is that I cranked it for quite a long while today and the oil pressure came up to just under 20 psi. I started doing a compression check, and after three cylinders my starter decided to give up the ghost, not surprisingly. The three that I did check are right around 155 psi, so I'm confident that it will at least run if I straighten out the fuel and ignition systems. How well remains to be seen!

·
Registered
62 Posts
from what I remember, it was very tight removing it and with the new foams fitted I had to sit in the boot and push it in with my feet
so that's probably why its hard to remove,

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
in a word , yes, it was ' stuck '

i managed to unstick it by putting a suitable sized bit of wood down the left side and gently levering it from the wheel arch , the ' stick ' gave way and the tank was free to remove,

HOWEVER

i did this in the knowledge i was replacing the tank , not reinstalling it ,

good luck with the project

BB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have successfully removed the fuel tank from my car. For any parties in the future whom may benefit from my experience, I offer this advice... My car is a 1985 XJS V12 hard top coupe, I believe other years, convertibles, etc. may be different, but if for any reason you need to remove your fuel tank, have a replacement lined up, or some other strategy such as a fuel cell in mind. Mine looked okay on the outside, except for one spot under the right side retaining strap which I had intended to patch, but the inside is completely rusted. the foam padding and insulation had formed quite a strong adhesive bond to the tank, and it took a lot of force and back and forth movement to break it free. If you've seen Brake Busters pictorial documentation, mine is the same. I've had this car for only four days, and I suspect that there are not too many "mad scientists" out there who would bother with such a sorry beast, but today I am quite confident that it will roar again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.