Gas Cap Well Collects Water

robicats62

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1990 Vanden Plas and the fuel door/cap is situated such that water collects in the in the well underneath the door when there is a heavy rain. I don't know if there used to be a gasket around the door (there is none now). Is this a common problem? If so, is there a solution other than carrying around a turkey baster in order to suck up the water and thus avoid getting water in the gas tank when refueling? Also wondering if there is some kind of drain that might be clogged, allowing the water to collect. Thank you for any help!

gwj

Reaction score
I used a steel guitar string to poke out my drain the the XF, they suffer too!

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
This is a problem that can affect pretty much any car. When washing the car, I usually wash behind the fuel filler flap and hose the drain out too. If this type of drain gets blocked (sunroof drains too), something like strimmer cable, bicycle brake cable or guitar strings can be used to try and dislodge any debris from the drain pipe. just be carful not to put a hole in the pipe or dislodge the pipe from its mount. Repositioning it might be tricky. That's why my preference is plastic cable.