Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Here we go again :)
Winter travel to Belgium and Netherlands where I will spend 3 weeks. Then down to Munich and Italy just before Christmas.
Last winter I have travelled with summer tyres and I did't have any problem. This winter I do not want to take any chance considering also my car worth 4 times more my old Xf and I just got 4 winter tyres.
10.000 miles on the clock and I expect to not have any problem.
Any suggestion? Any experience on very long joirney driving the ingenium diesel? Will it burn oil ?
Will it be comfortable for many ours? ( I didn't drive yet more than 3 hours at time with this car. Will it be good enough to fly 120/130mph on the German limit free motorway?
With the old Xf v6 diesel I was driving effortless at that speed.
I d like to buy a can of engine oil, castrol or something else? ( thinking Motul or Titan).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any experience on very long joirney driving the ingenium diesel? Will it burn oil ?
Will it be comfortable for many ours? ( I didn't drive yet more than 3 hours at time with this car. Will it be good enough to fly 120/130mph on the German limit free motorway?
With the old Xf v6 diesel I was driving effortless at that speed.
I d like to buy a can of engine oil, castrol or something else? ( thinking Motul or Titan).
Hey!

The longest strait drive I have made is 700km from Oulu to Helsinki, one coffey break, so in my experience it is comfortable enough... :-D

But, about Castrol:
They have made a special oil just for the Ingeniums??? And it seems to be impossible to get from anywhere else than from the Jag-dealer counter. And they charge 300e/can!!!! Att least here att the northpole...

So; I also am wondering, if I can put in the Castrol Edge 0W30 Titan or not?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. Sounds confortable enough!
About castrol, you won't find can for sale yet. only at jaguar and only the 20L can. if you need to top up you are supposed to go the the dealer service.
I got a can of titan 0-30 and i think it s fine for the ingenium.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Last winter I have travelled with summer tyres and I did't have any problem.
You were lucky, not only are summer tyres simply not suitable for driving in low temperatures compared with winter tyres, it is also the case that winter tyres are compulsory at many points along your journey between 15 October - 15 April. Good call to have selected winter tyres for this journey.

Any experience on very long journey driving the ingenium diesel? Will it burn oil ?
If everything is sound then absolutely no problems - I have my 2.0 diesel for 16 months now and have covered over 50'000 km including runs of more than 1'000 km. Just pay attention to when it warns you that AdBlue is getting low and get a 5 litre top up - let the dealer or another garage do the full refill.

Will it be comfortable for many hours? ( I didn't drive yet more than 3 hours at time with this car. Will it be good enough to fly 120/130mph on the German limit free motorway?
As they say, your mileage may vary but I personally find my XF very comfortable and holds its own on the autobahn. The last time I was in Germany I could easily cruise up to 180 kmph and beyond. I did not take it past 200 because of roadworks mixed with stretches limited to 100, and it probably tops out around this point anyway, so your 130 mph might be pushing it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been Lucky, I didn't find snow on my Journey to and from Italy. Very cold in Swiss, -10 celsius, but tarmac absolutely clean and no ice or snow on it. 180kmh is the perfect speed to travel trough Germany quickly and safe.I ll find out the top speed in Germany :)
I wonder if i can stop at the pump on the motorway to refill the adblue on the car, if needed.
Not sure yet if I am going again trough Swiss on the way down. The plan on the way back is Bormio springs, for a couple of relaxing days, Livigno for shopping tax free and 2 days on the snow in St moritz.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you might be missing the point: winter tyres have a different rubber compound and the stopping distance is different, it is not a question of actual snow and ice. Also, simply put, where they are compulsory you will have issues in the event of an accident even if not your fault.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. Sounds confortable enough!
About castrol, you won't find can for sale yet. only at jaguar and only the 20L can. if you need to top up you are supposed to go the the dealer service.
I got a can of titan 0-30 and i think it s fine for the ingenium.
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...dge/edge-product-range/edge-product-page.html

Looks to be the closest you will get. Its probably exactly the same, but just dont say as much as they have a deal with Jag that you can only buy at dealers.
Its Castrol Edge, boosted by Titanium FST. Same as Jag suggest. Only difference is Jag call it Castrol Edge Professional. Reckon its the same inside the bottle, but don't come running to me if the engine blows up:-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.