Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

New member here who has finally emerged from the shadows after 3 long months using the priceless resources in this incredible forum!

Well after a rather busy weekend of having my rear chrome trim replaced (cracked when bought!), replaced all interior lighting with red (yes red!) LEDs and buying/fitting a new ambient temp sensor I set about trying to fix my rather weathered and tired-looking glove box.

I've had a search in the forum and can't seem to find anyone who has done this before but I'm sure there's other out there whose glove box has chipped and peeling paint?!

My solution was to strip the glove box down and remove the outer panel on the hatch door assembly, spend hours sanding it down and respraying it with 5 coats of paint.

I took photos throughout the process but just wondered if writing up a 'How-To' would be of any benefit? I'd be happy to write one if there's an audience for it!

I've included a photo of my handy work, and I took the (bold) liberty of choosing a paint colour that matches the upper dash and mocha carpets. I find the original ivory/beige just weathers too easy and shows up grime and marks. To blend in the 'look' I also popped out the ambient climate control grill and sanded/sprayed to match.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/shiggs1988/6.jpg

Would love to hear your feedback, I know how honest you all can be... ;)

Sam

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I clicked the link expecting it to look really terrible, but in fact, I think it looks good. It probably only works with a few colour combinations, though.

By the way, that golf tee you lost? It's stuck in the passenger air vent...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's arguably a bold statement but only noticeable at night. Definitely a conversation starter!

It's a matter of personal preference but it blends seamlessly with my Sony stereo illumination, speedo dials and transmission lights. I'm quite chuffed with it, and swapped over the boot light to match!

Will sneak out after dark and get a picture to you guys soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's arguably a bold statement but only noticeable at night. Definitely a conversation starter!

It's a matter of personal preference but it blends seamlessly with my Sony stereo illumination, speedo dials and transmission lights. I'm quite chuffed with it, and swapped over the boot light to match!

Will sneak out after dark and get a picture to you guys soon
Right photos are up at the links below. I think this is going to divide quite a few people, but to each his own I guess...

LED2.jpg picture by shiggs1988 - Photobucket

LED1.jpg picture by shiggs1988 - Photobucket

It wasn't quite dark when they were taken and the camera is a tad overexposed, the lighting is nowhere near as harsh in reality.

Still will be interesting to hear everyone's opinion!

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's very red :)

not sure how it would go with my black leather and carbon dash will have to find some red cellophane and stick it over the lights to test

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's very red :)

not sure how it would go with my black leather and carbon dash will have to find some red cellophane and stick it over the lights to test
Buy yourself a box of quality street and experiment with the wrappers ;-)

It's not quite that red to the naked eye, plus the spot lights on the dome aren't normally on unless manually switched.

Red and Black would be a winning combo... A bit like night vision!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great job on the glove box. I have a very tired looking center console & it annoys me every time I look at it, I'd love to be able to do some thing similar. Well done though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ambient Red Lighting just says Pimp My Ride, IMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.