Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wive would like to go on a holiday to America next year and need some suggestions.
A few year ago we've been to New Zealand and that was a Great! experience for us. We booked the flights and a camper and drove both islands in 4 weeks, no problem so far.
But the USA is a little bit bigger and we like to stay in some places a few days to do some smaller trips from there out.
The East coast and the national parks over there were our first choice but maybe the are some people here that know some non touristic must sees.

So tips and advices are welcome, good RV-rentals, places to stay, food (not) to eat, etc.
We are with 2 adult and 2 children ( 10 and 15)

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Area 51, Roswell :-D

Joking aside I wish you look on your trip.

Might be an idea to register on our sister forum in the US, I'm sure they'd be forthcoming with ideas for any and all your qusetions.

For me, it'd have to be a helicopter fight over the Grand Canyon, I'd like to go to New Orleans and I suppose a trip to Yellowstone would be a must before it erupts again and wipes us all out.

If you get anywhere near the Florida theme parks and only have one day to do one, Universal Studios would be my choice and if I had two, I'd be back in Blizzard Beach like a shot, now that was fun.

Rich

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My wive would like to go on a holiday to America next year and need some suggestions.
A few year ago we've been to New Zealand and that was a Great! experience for us. We booked the flights and a camper and drove both islands in 4 weeks, no problem so far.
But the USA is a little bit bigger and we like to stay in some places a few days to do some smaller trips from there out.
The East coast and the national parks over there were our first choice but maybe the are some people here that know some non touristic must sees.

So tips and advices are welcome, good RV-rentals, places to stay, food (not) to eat, etc.
We are with 2 adult and 2 children ( 10 and 15)
I am very biased having lived there for 7 years but you would be hard put to beat Winchester, Virginia.

From here you can drive along the Blue Ridge Skyline Drive.
https://www.visitroanokeva.com/things-to-do/blue-ridge-parkway/skyline-drive/

Eat the best hickory smoked BBQ ribs in the USA and drink Sam Adams ice cold beer at the Cork Street Tavern
http://www.corkstreettavern.com

The best all you can eat Chinese Buffet in Harrisonburg
http://www.goldenchinaharrisonburg.com

And more other trips than you could fit in your itinerary in a year.

Some of the best and cheapest hotels add to the trip.

And of course, easy flights to Washington Dulles which is only half an hour from Winchester and some very good RV rentals.

If you do, drop me a PM.

Tony

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Virginia....yes, New Orleans....yes, Grand Canyon......yes, Las Vegas most definitely...........not cheap and nasty as I thought it would be, and not far from the Grand Canyon.

Have fun..........................IP

·
Registered
442 Posts
We had a lovely three week break in California a few years back. Started and finished in San Diego with lots to see, I particularly liked the Zoo and the visit on board the aircraft carrier USS Midway. We also spent a few days in Vegas but elected rather than use the helicopter trip ( I’m always uneasy about these) we drove to the Grand Canyon via the Hoover Dam. That visit to the Walk of Faith at the Grand Canyon was a highlight of our trip. Just make sure you have enough gas for the trip (oops !)
We then travelled up to San Francisco visiting Alcatraz but the bridge visit was disappointing, oh ! And car parking is the most expensive I’ve ever paid in my life.
The US is a very large country with so much to choose from but another trip I could recommend is down the Keys. That trip from Miami down to Key West is one of my most memorable drives made better with a Mustang Convertible which made us feel like film stars.

Whatever you choose enjoy, relax and stay safe.

·
Registered
548 Posts
There is so much in the USA to see that i would recommend you stick to one area at a time If you fly into San Francisco ( KLM have good flights there.) You can cover the pacific coast highway one down to Big sur, Drive across to Yosemite national park, Kings canyon and sequoia . (highway 49 is a great drive)The grand canyon and Bryce canyon are not be missed. I would not take children to Vegas but that is a personal choice. Most motels have rooms with 2 king or Queen size beds and are generally good value i cannot comment about RVs as they are not my cup of tea. Yellowstone is fabulous but accommodation in national parks can be expensive but there is plenty of choice just outside. It is worth buying a years pass at the first national park you visit if you intend to visit many.
Whatever you decide to do I am sure you will have an unforgettable holiday and you find that there is a genuine welcome for tourists to a great country. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh yes I was supposed to fill up that morning before leaving Vegas but forgot. I thought no problem I’ll get some on the way. Well after 120 miles or so and with no gas station I was in a panic as the computer said I had about 40 miles left before fill up.
I enquired at the shop at the Grand Canyon and you can get some there. You pay at the shop then travel the short distance to their maintenance yard to get the gas.
Boy was I relieved but overall it didn’t spoil that wonderful trip, the last 40 miles on a dirt track road so be careful you can spin out very easy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Change of plans! going to Lake District instead! in May for a week.
There are plans for a new house so we have to skip the expensive trip.

The summer holiday we are going to Hungary (where my wifes parents live)

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
West Coast. Pre book a RV (camper van..........BIG), fly in to San Francisco and off you go, cross the Mojave, do Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Pacific coast highway, a few days in San Francisco, (unmissable, go across the bay to Alcatraz and be locked in a cell for 5 minutes:shock:
If we were a bit younger we would go back and do it all again.
Try Marge's Diner, Moro Bay, (it's on the coast highway)
Breakfast in truck stops when you're travelling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.