Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottas (77) 1st. and Hamilton (44) 2nd to finish a very enjoyable years formula 1.

Just realised my phone number's last four digits are 7744. I should have put a bet on!

Not really I'm not a betting man. My Dad always used to say "when you see bookies riding bikes and smoking Woodbines...........start betting!"

Regards..............................IP

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Yes, it has been a reasonably good season, and I am pleased that Hamilton is world champion.

However, this race was an example of the problem with F1: The first three places never changed throughout the race, not even once! That is pretty boring, which is why the top three were seldom shown in the coverage.

Now just compare that with MotoGP.....

I rest my case!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are smarter minds than mine puzzling over this problem. I love watching the old black and white films of the open ****pit racers of yore, of course those days will never come back.
I do believe though, that cars have to get back to their roots somewhat. More mechanicals and less electronics.

The main thing I think is cost, make cars simpler, louder, and cheaper. The front wings are way too big and having the situation where cars within a second or so of the man in front becoming almost undrivable is ridiculous.

Could go on ad nauseum, regards.................................IP

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Remember being taken to see the British GP at Aintree in 1961,watching Mr S Moss 4 wheel drift a Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious, made a huge impression on the young E30MW!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't want to have the stupid dangerous tracks of old of course. To-day's tracks are too sanitized in my opinion.
The run off areas are no deterrent, off track areas should be gravelled or similar, so they incur a natural time penalty when track limits are exceeded.

Regards...............................IP

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Due to Mrs. Cheshire Cat and myself being ill, I endured watching the F1. Martin Brundle made a plea to some pale looking guy to bring back the old V8 engines. Some other bloke. a team owner I think, reckoned it cost £1m per engine and Mercedes use a hundred engines a year. Crikey. A good V8 Cosworth wouldn't cost anything like that I suspect. Sorry, but it doesn't float any boats these days.

·
Administrator
10,096 Posts
Ross Brawn interview was good and suggested a raft of changes are coming. Scrapping x amount of grid place penalties and just putting them back of grid instead. Using MPH in countries that use it and KPH in others on speed figures. Drivers having to give back a place instead of being penalised and still end in front of the driver infringed. Sounds good imo.

Already looking forward to 2018 F1, with the aim of going Silverstone and São Paulo hopefully.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thought the last race very boring - ended up fast forwarding through it. This season was better at the start and finaly looked like some real competion for Mercedes from Ferrari but they lost it in the second half and handed to Mercedes. See what next year brings

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, it has been a reasonably good season, and I am pleased that Hamilton is world champion.

However, this race was an example of the problem with F1: The first three places never changed throughout the race, not even once! That is pretty boring, which is why the top three were seldom shown in the coverage.

Now just compare that with MotoGP.....

I rest my case!
Or Irish road racing even better!!

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
Bottas (77) 1st. and Hamilton (44) 2nd to finish a very enjoyable years formula 1.

Just realised my phone number's last four digits are 7744. I should have put a bet on!

Not really I'm not a betting man. My Dad always used to say "when you see bookies riding bikes and smoking Woodbines...........start betting!"

Regards..............................IP
Good end in that the Mercs were off the leash and the real performance gap was visible. Also that Bottas has sorted himself out. He could be a lot closer to Lewis next year.

Not so good that following another car is so hard that slipsteraming, even with DRS does not work. The last regulation change went in completely the opposite direction to what most people in the know were suggesting and increased the reliance of aero.

The season was pretty good I thought. Very tense at times. So much so that Vettel made some apparently simple mistakes, which he is more prone to than many of the others when under pressure. Ferarri started very strongly but faded. Lewis never let up and had some luck this time or at least no bad luck.

I think (hope) that the top 3 teams will be closer still next year.

G

·
I used to really enjoy F1 and have been to several races over the years including a great trip to Monza with my brother. But ................ (in my opinion) it's got very boring now. I don't want to see anyone hurt or injured, but let's put some gravel on the corners to stop cheating (a white line in tennis is important - it means sod-all in F1). Make it easier for the teams that are not Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull to be competitive. Stop penalising a good driver if he need a new gearbox. Stop some of the silly tyre regulations. etc etc etc

Safety MUST be paramount, but let's face it - this is "Show Business" and not really sport.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When we picked up our new Mercedes CLS shooting brake last week I purchased a new cap, well I can’t drive around wearing my Jaguar cap in a Merc. Anyway when I got home I discovered it was Valteri Bottas’s cap with his initials and car No 77. Being a Lewis fan I asked if I could change it but they don’t have Lewis’s one in stock.

Maybe I’ll just “jump ship” next year like I have from Jag to Merc.

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
What we need is Valteri to push Lewis to be even better and take points off Sebastian :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.