Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’ve noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of interest in upgrading the Jag touchscreen with a higher resolution screen that can run multimedia apps, such as an Android or Raspberry PI system, and as I would like to do this myself I thought I’d start a thread about my own experiments with the OEM head unit as well as using it as a general information thread and personal brain dump.

Some other forum members have already successfully integrated an android system with the OEM head unit, and there’s a great deal of really helpful information on the forums about how this is done thanks to them!

So, first a little explanation of how the touchscreen system works – the two main components are the touchscreen head unit in the dash and the navigation control unit in the rear entertainment stack, which both work together to make a complete system. The navigation control unit in the boot which holds the nagivation DVD is more than just a sat-nav unit – it also renders all the graphics that display on the touchscreen for every available function, e.g. audio controls, climate control etc and thus is essential for the whole system to function. The video signal is sent from the navigation control unit as an RGBS (RGB + Composite Sync) signal to the touchscreen unit, and the touchscreen unit sends touch position data and other commands back to the navigation control unit over a 2 wire bus.

It’s thanks to this ‘split’ system that it is possible to feed a different video signal to the head unit by intercepting the RGBS video signal and replacing with a signal from a different source, e.g. android system etc, but with this we are limited to the maximum resolution of the internal LCD panel (480x234 pixels) which is certainly workable, but it does present difficulties in finding a modern system that can output a resolution low enough to be compatible.

I acquired a spare touchscreen head unit to experiment with so that I don’t have to drive around without a working system. My aim is to replace the LCD panel with a higher resolution unit, and allow switching between the external source (which might be Android or Raspberry PI) and the internal functions seamlessly. i.e. no external buttons to change source.

I’ve disassembled the head unit and taken a few photos which I’ll put in the next post.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's my shiny new head unit, model number 2W93-10E889-DF. There are a few different variants of these touchscreen head units, they are used on the XJ X350, X-Type and S-type, the S-type and X-type have matt plastic bezels and the X350 has gloss black, plus some versions only have single zone climate control, and some don't have the front heated windscreen button. This particular one is from an X350, with dual zone climate, heated windscreen, and the Television option (which I thought might give me more things to experiment with, but of course is of no practical use now that there is no analogue TV anymore)

The front bezel comes off easily with just a few screws. you can see the two connectors that plug into the board in the bezel that connect the buttons and touchscreen matrix:

Underside of the bezel:

The LCD panel is attached by 4 screws, with a ribbon cable and 2 x backlight connectors. The panel is a Toshiba TFD70W20. I've had no success finding a datasheet for this panel, the closest equivalent seems to be the TFD70W10, but the pinout is completely different.

Underside of the panel, the two connectors on the flying leads are for the backlight, the ribbon cable is in the centre. It's a slightly unusual screen in that it incorporates the panel driver circuitry - most panels that you get now require a separate video driver board to convert the RGB or HDMI signal into the low level signals the panel uses, but this Toshiba panel takes RGBS directly:

Here's the panel laid into the recess of the boards in the bezel. Any panel that replaces this cannot be any larger as it's restricted all around by the touchscreen LED matrix. The panel is 104mm high and 170mm wide, and the active pixel area is 87mm high and 154mm wide:

The panel has a protective plastic panel mounted on top of it which is the bit you actually touch. This incorporates the black rounded edge masking that you see on the edge of the screen:

The jag head unit is a little unusual in that it doesn't use a normal touch membrane, but rather a matrix of 13x19 infra red LEDs all around the edge of the screen. When the beams are broken by a finger the X/Y position can be determined. This board unscrews from bezel and the 2 ribbon cables detatched:

This is the 'touch' matrix board. One of the diagnostic screens in the head unit (accessed by holding down PHONE and MENU together for 5 seconds then entering the code 1971) draws horizontal lines and then vertical lines for each LED beam in the matrix which can be tested by touching each one in turn:

The buttons around the screen are the carbon-impregnated rubber type, which completes a circuit by the action of the conductive rubber connecting two tracks on the board. As I plan to interface with these buttons to control the switching between external source and the internal OEM functions I mapped out which pads on the board connect to which button. I'll worry about how I actually do anything with them later (but probably with an Arduino):

At this point I put it back together and powered it up!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started by powering up the screen to make sure everything is working before I start trying to swap panels around. I'm not sure whether it's possible to get hold of the connectors that are used on the unit, but the header plugs commonly found inside desktop computers to connect the case LEDS etc fit nicely on the pins, so I just wired up the pins individually to my bench power supply (+12v, ACC +12V and 0V). The problem first of all is that unfortunately it seems that the head unit doesn't activate the backlight of the LCD or in fact do anything of use unless it detects the data bus from the navigation control unit, so all that happens is the temperature LCD comes on and displays an error code corresponding to a communication fault.
So, I've had to temporarily borrow the navigation control unit from my car to get it all working.

The navigation control unit requires +12v, ACC +12V and 0V to power up, and then also needs at a minimum the + and - communication bus connecting to the head unit. I switched on at this point and straight away the LCD panel backlight comes on, and the temperature LCD panel no longer displays any communication error codes. With a few more scrap cables from an old computer I wired in the Composite Sync, Ground, Red and Green between the two units - I didn't have enough for the Blue but that's not a problem for testing!

We have success (obviously slightly off colour due to the missing blue)!

What was interesting was the TV module. I had previously assumed that there must be a CVBS (composite video) signal internally somewhere between the RF processing and the RGBS output to the LCD panel that potentially could be a point to inject composite video as a quick way to get external video in, but it does appear to be RGBS at all stages. The teletext board does actually have CVBS screen printed at a test point on the board, but testing on the oscilloscope as well as feeding this line into a composite monitor it didn't seem to be a valid composite video signal. RGBS lines are also present from the teletext board too.
This potentially gives a couple of ways of getting external RGBS into the unit without using an external switcher - one input from the RF demodulator board, and another separate one from the teletext board. It would mean that to select these if it were possible, would be to press MENU, then TV, to display the TV RGBS input, then there is a 'Teletext' on screen button that when pressed appears to change to the RGBS signal from the teletext board. Probably not really practical, plus the aim is to replace the internal panel anyway so not worth pursuing.
Here's what you get on analogue TV these days:

Whilst fettling in the diagnostics menu (hold PHONE and MENU for 5 secs then enter 1971) I thought it would be fun to have a Daimler screen instead of a Jaguar screen:

Another interesting function in the diagnostic menu is the ability to run tests that are internally generated by the touchscreen head unit itself and not reliant on the external RGBS from the navigation control unit. You can see from the picture that all RGB colours are present on these screens despite the Blue line not being connected. It seems a bit of an oversight that the data bus (and RGBS signals in order to see anything) must be present and working before the screen will power up and allow you to enter diagnostic mode and then select the internal diagnostics.

That'll do for the time being.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking at the various different LCD panels available to retro-fit into the position of the old panel, as well as controllers to drive it. There are a number of sellers on eBay selling bundles of LCD panel, controller, touch overlay, keyboard (to control the On Screen Display of the controller) and with/without remote control, with different combinations of model of each component.

There are a couple of different model of video controllers, but by far the most common is one known as VS-TY2662-V1 or PCB800099. There's some information about this controller here: http://tech.mattmillman.com/lcd/pcb800099/ but better still, Venelin (who posts here as veffremov, and creator of the D2B bluetooth audio streaming upgrade module) has already done some work on this board as described here http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...23/who-wants-14-nav-screen-hdmi-input-153508/ proving that it does work with the OEM RGBS signals when loaded with his custom firmware. This is enough for me to decide that this is the controller I'll use.

The good features of the controller are that it has connections for HDMI, VGA (which can be used with RGBS), and 2 x composite video inputs. This would be ideal as the VGA input could be used for the RGBS source from the navigation control unit, the HDMI from the Android tablet/Raspberry PI, and the composite video for a reversing camera or other video input if wanted. BUT, a big potential problem with this is that it appears the only way to switch input is using the On Screen Display menu. This is not compatible with my 'seamless' integration requirements! But, I will deal with that as and when, if worse comes to the worse I can use the VGA input for everything with an input switcher in front of it and convert the Android/PI output to VGA.

So on to panel choosing. The standard LCD is 480x234 resolution which is considered pretty low by modern standards, so the aim is to fit a replacement that is a higher resolution. I found a great resource here: http://www.panelook.com/ which is a database of LCD panels and you can search and filter by most attributes including resolution, screen size, panel dimensions and active area dimensions, so perfect to find a replacement that will fit.
Looking at the panel models of the various eBay sellers there seems to the the following common models in a 7 inch size:

Panel modelResolutionCase
dims
Active area
dims
N070ICG-LD11280×800161×107149.76×93.6
AT070TNA2
1024×600 165.75×105.39153.6×90
HV070WSA-1001024×600164.05×100.86153.6×90
HV070WS1-1051024×600163.6×102.9153.6×90
AT070TN92800×480164.9×100154.08×85.92
TFD70W20
(Standard OEM
panel)
480x234170x104154x87

Obviously higher resolution is better, but the 1280x800 panel is just too tall to fit (veffremov also has confirmed that this is the case).
I think 1024x600 should be sufficient - the AT070TNA2 is also slightly too tall, panelook.com shows that HV070WS1-105 is discontinued, so leaves the HV070WSA-100 which is small enough to fit and has hopefully close enough active area size (there will be 1.5mm visible area lost top and bottom masked behind the plastic panel with curved black masking).

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-VGA-...983897?hash=item3ab43cc219:g:uAMAAOSwo6lWLtZV seems like its the right combination of panel and driver.

In addition I also need a touch overlay with USB interface to go on the panel, but I'm struggling to find one that is the correct dimensions to fit the HV070WSA panel. If I go for the 800x480 option instead its simple as the full kit with LCD, touch overlay, remote control, keyboard and video driver is available for £30 from China.
Needs a bit more thought....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Will be following with interest, thanks Ben.

Got a spare unit with TV also, so would like to modify it sometime.

·
Premium Member
6,560 Posts
Hi Ben,

As I suspected, you are indeed a brain surgeon :D

Another great how to thread or at least it is for those who can understand, sadly I ain't one of them.

Still going to follow it though in the hope I get a bit brainier ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Ben, as a retired electronics display hardware engineer I'm following your splendid efforts with great interest!
In addition I also need a touch overlay with USB interface to go on the panel, but I'm struggling to find one that is the correct dimensions to fit the HV070WSA panel. Needs a bit more thought....
Unless I missed something, why can't you use the LED 'touch' matrix that's already in the mounting bezel? This technology is still used on many ruggedised military displays and I would have thought that its resolution is sufficient - unless you want new 'iPhone' type features like drag and swipe etc. when it may become more difficult to resolve where the finger is going.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Great topic but way over my head. If it's if any interest, my S Type has an after market DVD player and screens in the rear headrests and by flicking a couple of switches the DVD will display the picture on the front screen simultaneously. Sound is connected via an FM transmitter in the boot.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the interest folks.
Brian, I wasn't aware that the LED matrix type of touchscreens were still in common use, but the main reason for adding a touchscreen overlay is for the ease of interfacing. With the LCD touchscreen kit comes a resistive overlay to USB controller board, meaning that the touchscreen can interface with the Android tablet or Raspberry PI just by plugging in the USB and working as a standard touch interface. I don't know how one would go about decoding the output of the matrix system and converting it to something that a normal computer would understand, I'm sure its possible but a lot harder and with a lower resolution output as the end result.

It's an interesting point about the iPhone style touch interface - I believe that for multi-touch inputs i.e. 'stretching' and 'rotating' the view using multiple fingers (e.g. in Google Maps for example) that a capacitive type of touchscreen would be needed, but as far as I can see these are not readily available as overlays like the resistive type. It looks like these are actually often incorporated into the LCD panel itself, so a different beast altogether. With a resistive overlay swiping and dragging will still be possible, just not multitouch.

·
Registered
394 Posts
With the LCD touchscreen kit comes a resistive overlay to USB controller board.......a capacitive type of touchscreen

You can either use an LCD or one that has a touch membrane.
If you chose just an lcd you can add the membrane over the screen without affecting the OEM led matrix
This is what I have done and btw I have a capacitive membrane

The membrane controller needs to be compatible with the membrane type though, Ie capacitive or restive
This then connects to your android system

I went down the road you are looking at but decided it was easier to hack the steering wheel controls, adding in display switching and android buttons to the steering wheel buttons

Cheers
34by151

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi 34by151, I read many of your posts while doing my research about this and the information has been very helpful thanks!

I've not been able to find any capacitive membranes at all during my searching, but plenty of resistive ones in slightly different sizes to fit different variants of 7" panels. Can you tell me where you found your capacitive one, and does multi-touch work ok with it?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No progress as yet, I've decided to go for the 800x480 screen, obviously not the highest resolution possible but I thought I'd prove the concept first with a cheap panel and if I feel it necessary can always upgrade the panel as the controller board is the same.
Whilst I wait for it to arrive I thought I'd take some more pics of the boards in the head unit.
Venelin has also added his findings on the head unit internals that he has posted on the US jaguarforums.com:

[quote="veffremov]
There are 3 main bards in the assembly. Power - on the bottom. An interface board with the main CPU and the LCD controller board with the high voltage converter for the CCFL backlight. I was thinking of replacing the LCD controller board together with the screen.

On the CPU board there is a video "on screen display" chip and a video switch. I suspect the OSD chip is what generates the display diagnostic signals. The ODC ship has a video switch build-in and the switch in the board divert the signal from the nav; the diagnostic signal or the signal from the TV tuner to the LCD controller board. I had the pins for the video on the LCD connector, but it seems I have lost them.

On the LCD controlled board there is a IC from Sharp which has another video switch. I'm not sure if that one is used. Maybe it is for the TV if the TV signal is not RGBS.

The power to the LCD controller comes from the 2 pin red and black connector in the middle, not from the flat cable. The power is switched on/off from the CPU controller.

On the touch controller board the one with the LED array, there are two 5 pin flat cable connectors. The one on the right is power the pins from left to right are (GND, GND, 8V, 12V, 5V). The connector on the right is for data communication (Reset, Clock, Receive-Data, Send-Data, Interrupt).

[/quote]

It would appear that the TV and teletext boards only exist on the units with integrated TV (sounds obvious really but means its definitely not just a configuration option - the units without TV don't have the 4 x antenna connections on the back panel that you see below) This is the rear most board, the teletext board is the small one on the right:

This is the TV board with the teletext board removed. On the bottom left in the metal can is a TEAZ7 TV tuner module: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dl/Datasheet-036/DSA0032189.pdf Top left is a TDA8842 TV processor: http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/T/D/A/8/TDA8842H.shtml Bottom right is an M3062FPGA microprocessor: http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/711/MITSUBISHI/M30624FGAFP/307/1/M30624FGAFP.html

The teletext board connects with a ribbon cable to the main TV board and on it has a SAA5264 teletext decoder. The output is RGBS to the main board, which is activated when the 'Teletext' on screen button is pressed when in TV mode:

By removing the 4 screws on the back panel the whole TV board and CPU board comes out of the chassis revealing the LCD control board (the board closest to the LCD panel). Hopefully the whole LCD control board can be removed and the space used to mount the new video control board. We'll need to extract the RGBS signals from the input socket which is easily accessible:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got the new LCD panel now and have been doing some tinkering. So a few observations....

• The video controller doesn't at the moment work with the OEM RGBS signal - I'm going to need to load Venelin's modified firmware to get this working, so this needs a bit more investigation.
  • The video input selection is cycled through using a switch, which cycles through HDMI, VGA, AV1 and AV2 so not really suitable to be automated. Maybe a firmware hack can fix this....
  • I had wondered if the new panel would sit inside the metal frame that currently holds the existing LCD panel, but there is a flange on the top surface of the frame which means that the screen would end up being too recessed behind the bezel opening, and the screen won't be centred in the opening as the active area of the panel is not centred within its casing. So, something will need to be fabricated to hold the panel in position but hopefully won't be too difficult.
  • I had hoped that the original LCD control board could be removed and the new one mounted in it's place, but with this board disconnected the unit flags up error codes on the temperature LCD panel, so it will have to stay. I think the new video controller and resistive touchscreen controller can instead be mounted right on the back of the head unit where the analogue TV board goes. However, the new LCD panel has a very short ribbon cable, so I need to find an extension so that it can reach the video controller when it's mounted on the back of the unit.

I've been testing the screen just with the VGA input at the moment, and loaded android-x86 on an old eeePC to test. I can't get it to output at the native 800x480 resolution, nor will my Windows laptop with HDMI output let me select that resolution, but will try on a raspberry pi instead with the HDMI output instead when I can get hold of one. The controller will scale down higher resolutions to fit the panel:

With a bit of fabrication to get the screen to fit it should be possible to get it centred within the aperture of the bezel:

The existing plastic sheet with the curved black masking won't work as it's too thick for the resistive touchscreen to work underneath it, but potentially this can be replaced with something similar printed onto acetate sheet (if you can still get hold of it!)

·
Registered
821 Posts
The tv type head units do have the ability to take a composite video input, you need to fit a relay to switch between internal video and external video, the tv menu screens ask what area you are in and this sets up the composite video for pal/secam/ntsc ect. However the video is blanked when driving as the head unit receives the in motion signal on the bus and passes this to the dvd unit that then changes the video display. it is also possible to feed audio into the head unit.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ben's use of the word fettle and electronics background makes me wonder... ex-Quantel?
Hi Mike, no afraid not :) I trained in electronic engineering and worked in that field for many years, although not really done a lot of work with low level electronics now for some time but trying to get back into it!

Ben

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tv type head units do have the ability to take a composite video input, you need to fit a relay to switch between internal video and external video, the tv menu screens ask what area you are in and this sets up the composite video for pal/secam/ntsc ect. However the video is blanked when driving as the head unit receives the in motion signal on the bus and passes this to the dvd unit that then changes the video display. it is also possible to feed audio into the head unit.
Great info x_type_lpg that's useful to know. Do you have any more info or links about how it's done, would be nice to have it as a reference on the thread even though I'm personally not going to pursue this method now that I'm swapping the LCD panel.

Cheers,
Ben

1 - 20 of 318 Posts