Handbrake mechanism question

FrenchNick

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

My Jag failed it's MOT (partly) because of handbrake being next to useless. I was told the rear right caliper was the cause, so I've whipped it off for inspection.

I'll try and attach some photos, but is the general idea that the cable pulls on the small plate which is screwed onto the caliper itself around a crenellated/toothed ring, which in turn pushes the piston very slightly to apply the brake?
With a spring to return the plate to it's resting position when the cable is released by the hand brake lever.

Is that about it? So if there's a fluid leak/no fluid, the handbrake won't work?

In my case it looks as though the teeth that hold the small plate to the caliper have worn and the plate was turning on it's own, the return spring also seems pretty dull.

Is the rear right caliper the same as a mondeo one?

FrenchNick

Reaction score
X type rear calipers changed?
Is there a particular thing to look out for to check which version I have?

Euan Tausney

Reaction score
The thing to notice is the earlier pads had a rounded tang to slot into the caliper, later ones are square.
It seems the Ford ones are similar from this picture of earlier ones.

FrenchNick

Reaction score
I see what you mean about the pads, this would only matter for the carrier though?

I'm changing just the piston/handbrake part so shouldn't matter? Unless the carrier is also different?

jimbo20

Reaction score
Is the rear right caliper the same as a mondeo one?
This old post hopefully answers your question:

Im not certain but presumably you have a 'pre MY2004' model with the earlier calipers?

Also these threads might be helpfull:

rayUK

Reaction score
I see what you mean about the pads, this would only matter for the carrier though?

I'm changing just the piston/handbrake part so shouldn't matter? Unless the carrier is also different?
I wouldn't suggest doing that. A Bosch rebuilt caliper is cheap enough and comes with new spring, caliper handbrake lever, piston/ seals and new type dirt/water seal for the caliper's handbrake lever shaft (one of the main causes of the original seizing up of the shaft through dirt and water ingress).
I also advise you to pressure bleed it rather than manual pedal pumping which many of the members, including myself, found to their cost is the easiest way to damage your servo and/or master cylinder.
If you must manually bleed it restrict the brake pedal travel by putting a block of wood under it.
Going back to your original post...... the handbrake works mechanically and brake fluid is used only when the brake foot pedal is pushed.
Wishing you luck.

Last edited:

FrenchNick

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I've fitted a new rear right caliper, and the handbrake mechanism works fine with the cable disconnected, stops the wheel when pulled tight, then returns all the way.

However, with the cable connected the mechanism won't return all the way, and so drags the right rear wheel. The left rear releases just fine.

Is this a new rear right cable job?
Is there anything to be done at the splitter for the cables underneath the car?

With the handbrake applied then released it only needs a small push to return the handbrake mechanism all the way, not like there's a lot of tension still on the cable, I don't quite know why the spring isn't enough to return the mechanism itself

Euan Tausney

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I've fitted a new rear right caliper, and the handbrake mechanism works fine with the cable disconnected, stops the wheel when pulled tight, then returns all the way.

However, with the cable connected the mechanism won't return all the way, and so drags the right rear wheel. The left rear releases just fine.

Is this a new rear right cable job?
Is there anything to be done at the splitter for the cables underneath the car?

With the handbrake applied then released it only needs a small push to return the handbrake mechanism all the way, not like there's a lot of tension still on the cable, I don't quite know why the spring isn't enough to return the mechanism itself
Sounds like the cable is sticky internally. You could try WD40 and working it in, to see if that loosens things up.

FrenchNick

Reaction score
Is the cable a metal wire inside a tube?
So the metal part is sticking to the inside of the tube?

Some form of lubricant down the tube at both ends to lubricate the metal wire on the tube?