Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This will sound like a daft question, but I need an answer to it. My particular xjs has its handbrake not over the transmission tunnel like most cars, but just to the right of the driver's seat. When I bought this car it had no handbrake cable so I never experienced how the mechanism should really operate and feel. I've now installed a new cable and adjusted the tension but it doesn't seem quite right somehow. I had a spring left over from the operation so maybe that's something to do with it. Or maybe that spring is just a red herring and came off something else.
The issue I'm having is when I pull up the handbrake, it doesn't stay up, unlike every other car I've owned for the last 40 years. The mechanism appears to operate correctly with the ratchet clicking etc, and the brake appears to lock-on fine after 3 clicks; it's just that the lever then flops back down to horizontal. I can only assume this is to make access in and out the car easier, but need to know for sure as the MOT is the next step in the light resto I'm undertaking. It would be helpful if some kind soul can tell me if this is how it is designed to be or not. Also, how many springs in total should there be in the handbrake mechanism (just the section by the driver's side; not the parts at the far end on the rear axle which is all accounted for.) The Haynes manual doesn't provide an exploded view of all the lever-end parts, unfortunately.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,824 Posts
Put your mind at rest. That’s exactly how it should operate. Pull up to engage it will then go back down to allow egress from the car. Pull up and press the button to release.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Lightfoot - There are two systems both are different. The later outboard brake variety use shoes inside the rear disc which acts also as the "drum". The inboard have pads. In truth the outboard brake set up is a whole lot easier although the purists prefer the inboard set up. Have a look on the Jaguar Classic parts website. Drawings will help.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.