Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had everything planned:

Change the rear wheel bearings on my X type estate.

Do the 16,000 mile valve check on my VFR 800F and change the lube.

Investigate the "suction issue".

Change the tank if I was happy that I had fixed the problem, or take the whole carbon canister "Euro 4" gubbins off entirely.

Fit the quickshifter kit.

All went wrong. I started to change the offside rear wheel bearing, got the brake stripped off and was greeted by 4 T50 Torx cap screws so rusty and scaled up that as soon as I applied a few "shock" blows, they disintegrated where the T50 spline tool should locate. So hacksaw it was, cut all the heads off, remove the knackered hub and extract the studs...

Two snapped...

So drill out and tap...

Then I discover the new hubs don't come with new studs... Should have checked, I know... So off to the local fixings supplier who only has 7 of the required thread type in stock.

So a quick rummage through all of my spares and I found a half decent one from when I did the job last time, in fact I found three not so good ones as well so I was good to go.

Box it all up, start on the other side and surprisingly it came apart pretty easily so it muct have been changed recently.

Put it all back together, took it around the block and... No ABS, no traction control, the Stability program isn't there, more red lights and warnings than they must have had when Apollo 13 went TU. Including the Engine fault one... So went to grab my JTIS lap top and remembered that Smiffy had borrowed it two weeks ago...

So jumped in my XJ6 to go and collect it, and noticed the near side rear disc wasn't shiny when I got back home.... Strange?

Took the X type estate back to bits after discovering there was "no signal from off side rear speed sensor". New hub, the ABS sensor doesn't work (It's built in effectively) so strip out the sensor from one of the old hubs and fit that, re-assemble, clear the fault codes...

Then take the XJ6 to bits, discover the hand brake EPB is locked on, so it's taken the inner pad out, do I have spares? Yes as it happens... But why has the EPB locked in the on position? Basically when you put it in gear it releases, when you pull up and put the car into park it sets, so how long have I been running it around with no EPB? Can't be more than a week.

Well because the fuse has popped, a fuse which also controls a few other bits that I hadn't noticed weren't working either? Why has the fuse popped? I dunno... Put the Fluke across the circuit and everything is fine. So changed the fuse, started the engine, put it in drive to release the parking brake and it stayed engaged on the n/s/r brake. So... Free the cable off, check the linkage, wind the piston in, reset the EPB and gain yet another warning light "EPB has exceeded it's travel".

Sometime wish I was the type of person who takes his stuff to a garage...

Didn't touch the bike...

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is I'm not used to working all day on my knees any more, I was in a bit of a state Sunday night, had to take the bike into work yesterday because of the knee pain (Knees slightly bent on the bike, much more comfy). But.. I discovered two things on my 2015 VFR 800F as a result of that as well.

It comes with Traction Control as standard, but because it's a V4 it has uneven firing pulses anyway, they always have better traction than inline fours because the firing pulses aren't one after the other, there's three pulses, then a gap,then the last one, gives a spinning wheel chance to gain traction again. Sounds much nicer too, always liked the sound of V engines.

And the Traction Control works!

I was riding onto a little roundabout off the west bound A27 yesterday am, quite wet, but nothing out of the ordinary, it's traffic light controlled and takes you to the bottom of the A3. The lights were green so I arrived at my usual 30mph ish to discover that sometime over the weekend they had relaid the tarmac and dressed the entry ramp with that high friction stuff. But not bothered to make sure it had stuck and it was all over a very tight right hander, which is part of the U bend that leads you to the A3. So I slowed down a little more, spied a bit with not too much of the this stuff on the surface (I guess where car wheels are depositing it) and tipped the bike in at which point the marble feeling kicked in, ok, not going too fast but it's wet... Easily manageable, no worse than hitting a wet manhole with Bridgestones on.

As I lifted the bike up and put a bit of throttle on, it started to slide sideways at the rear, the traction control thing flashed and it just straightened up, I was instinctively holding the throttle waiting for the grip to come back, we've all done it? I didn't need to.

Never thought the VFR needed traction control in the past, I've had rear end slides before that have just sorted themselves out as long as you know to not close the throttle, but it definitely kicked in yesterday at 05:00hrs, so I guess maybe it is a good thing? I did stop and check I didn't have a flat tyre though, old habits.

TBH it's the first time I've had any kind of slip with the Dunlop RS3's on. Although I haven't yet tried it on wet leaves...

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
I did wonder about your knees.

But now I know you're going too hell-for-leather on your bike.

Cool it Batman! Slow the F down!

Your descendants need a handholding, guiding, fun but living granddad, not a leather pantied flying-caped helmeted bad role model to kill themselves like!

Yes I'm serious.

Don't be a nutter.

Right now that's what you are.

Slow Down!

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10 years ago I would have agreed in some respect, but Bike tyre technology has moved on so much due to the likes of MotoGP and WSB, BSB. The only "limiting factor" where grip is concerned with most bike tyres these days is how stupid you are. Easily capable of removing enough water to grip the road, even when it's banked at 35 degrees and easily capable bikes too with cornering ABS, traction control, engine mapping for wet weather, all kinds of gizmo's.

And of course wet leaves, Ice, road repairs where they haven't cleaned up after themselves properly.

No I'm not a crazy on the bikes, I just make progress rather than sitting in traffic queues.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
It's an instantaneous moment only when you lose grip and slide.

Under a truck going the other way.

It's happened to tens if not hundreds of riders.

We get older and weaker, one day we can't pull that bike up.

Get a Honda Gold Wing and Sit Up if you must ride a bike, it's much better than knee scrapers.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim, the ONLY time I've ever had my knee down is on a race track when I fell off... I ride with Police riders at least once a year, I train with them and they keep telling me to go for ROSPA or IAM but I don't need a badge to tell me how I ride, I need a Class 1 Police rider to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I learn something every year.

I follow the "System" they teach and I try my best to not take any risks that might hurt me.

Point being a bike isn't a "Weekend Power Ranger play thing" to me. It's a tool to get me to work and home.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Lost One my concern is that you live long and prosper.

To have your grandchildren sit on your good knee while you spin them a yarn or three.

Odd we should feel anything for a virtual friend through a mobile phone, but... There you are, that's me.

So... I've told you what I read from you tells me something about your style...

And I rode bikes for 4 years or so and I fell off several times, luckily in clear places.

Take precautions.

OK?

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.