Have you ever noticed...

Captain O

Reaction score
Pacific Northwest US of A (The Colonies).
  1. The styles of British cars are generally considered "timeless" while the Japanese cars usually seem "dated"?
  2. People seem to view the older Jaguar(s) with admiration and respect, while the older Japanese cars garner a "ho-hum" reception?
  3. A Jaguar that receives fine care and maintenance usually looks and drives better than a well-maintained Japanese unit?
These are just a few "points to ponder". (And people wonder why I bought 2 Jags instead of two Japanese cars).

Squadron Blue

Reaction score
The classic Jaguar shape that ran from the XK120 up until the X308 or maybe X350 was so elegant and well proportioned, perhaps this is why they get appreciation from non car-people eg. comments when you park up or when you're filling the tank etc.

Of course for a lot of car-people Jaguar were right up there during the 1950's and 1960's golden era of racing along with Ferrari, Aston, Maserati etc. so a lot of Kudos comes from that as well as 'The E-Type Effect', whereas Japan didn't really build anything even remotely interesting until much later on.

The old cliche of the Hi-Fi amplifier sums it up pretty well - the Japanese amplifier will have dozens of buttons allowing the user to make every conceivable adjustment to the sound, whereas the British one only needs a volume knob as the sound is right to begin with.

Of course Britain has churned out some utterly miserable cars as well (Allegro, Marina, Maxi, Princess, Maestro etc.) and last time I checked Jaguar still hadn't figured out how to make a headlining properly.....

Captain O

Reaction score
Pacific Northwest US of A (The Colonies).
The classic Jaguar shape that ran from the XK120 up until the X308 or maybe X350 was so elegant and well proportioned, perhaps this is why they get appreciation from non car-people eg. comments when you park up or when you're filling the tank etc.

Of course for a lot of car-people Jaguar were right up there during the 1950's and 1960's golden era of racing along with Ferrari, Aston, Maserati etc. so a lot of Kudos comes from that as well as 'The E-Type Effect', whereas Japan didn't really build anything even remotely interesting until much later on.

The old cliche of the Hi-Fi amplifier sums it up pretty well - the Japanese amplifier will have dozens of buttons allowing the user to make every conceivable adjustment to the sound, whereas the British one only needs a volume knob as the sound is right to begin with.

Of course Britain has churned out some utterly miserable cars as well (Allegro, Marina, Maxi, Princess, Maestro etc.) and last time I checked Jaguar still hadn't figured out how to make a headlining properly.....
That's true. While looks aren't everything, I appreciate the strength of both 6-cylinder Petrol (gasoline) engines.

I'm a pensioner, but dress well and drive beautiful classic Jaguar automobiles. (I'm 67 and don't look a day over 50). The admiring glances come from men and women alike.

Life can be good. ✌️

Squadron Blue

Reaction score
We are lucky right now that an X300 can be bought for a relative pittance, yet exudes style and good taste in a way a brand new Mercedes/BMW/Lexus/Audi/Tesla or whatever never will