Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asked a garage about cleaning the headlight lens and the cloudiness is possibly on the inside of the lens.

They can remove them to clean both sides of the lens.

Is it worth replacing all the bulbs, which are working?

If so, which ones?

Is LED an improvement?

· Registered
13 Posts
Asked a garage about cleaning the headlight lens and the cloudiness is possibly on the inside of the lens.

They can remove them to clean both sides of the lens.

Is it worth replacing all the bulbs, which are working?

If so, which ones?

Is LED an improvement?
I cleaned my own with a polishing mop & fine grade polish
Fitted LEDs much brighter.

Its easy job to do.

· Registered
512 Posts

Its easy job to do.
After driving an F Type for 3 days I realise how poor the standard XF headlights are.

What LED's did you use and where did you get them from? Were they easy enough to install?

· Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Its easy job to do.
The cloudiness is on the inside of the lens so will let a garage do it

· Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is how they are but will check if it is on the outside

· Registered
352 Posts
i doubt very much it will be uv damage on the inside,if it is then it is scrap,it could be condensation if a seal is damaged and it that is the case its an easy fix

· Registered
1,840 Posts
The owners info does mention the possibility of condensation inside the light units. It also states that it's nothing to worry about.
I guess it depends how bad it is.

· Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lights are reasonable but not as good as they will be when cleaned which may as well be when the HID lights are installed

· Registered
929 Posts
UV degradation of the headlamp coating usually turns the lenses a sort of cloudy yellow. I haven't seen any jaguars affected by this but loads of other makes are badly affected .Polishing with a mop gives a short term cure. A lasting cure is to remove the degraded material with wet and dry paper working down to 3000 grit used wet ; then spraying with two pack clear laquer. This is then allowed to cure for a few days then rubbed down/flatter with 3000 w and dry then polished with compound either b hand or with a mop . Cloudiness inside the lense ,a sort of milky appearance and is caused by condensation and pollution .It can usually be wiped off if you can get the lens off or use a rag tied to a stick like a large cotton bud. I have recently refurbished a set of Porches headlamps that now look like new and owner reports that headlamps are much brighter .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.