Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have a small problem that I wondered if anyone has experienced or has suggestions how to solve it. I have noticed that when I use the washers and the headlight washers operate, the offside one doesn't go back in again afterwards. If I give it a push it goes back, spraying water as it goes. It seems to work ok in that it sprays fine, just gets stuck out. Any ideas? Are they on a spring?

Thanks.

Reactions: JimC64

· Premium Member
25,630 Posts
There is a spring to return it and water pressure forces it out. Could be dirt or grit stopping it returning properly.

Reactions: jberks

· Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Hello all

I have a small problem that I wondered if anyone has experienced or has suggestions how to solve it. I have noticed that when I use the washers and the headlight washers operate, the offside one doesn't go back in again afterwards. If I give it a push it goes back, spraying water as it goes. It seems to work ok in that it sprays fine, just gets stuck out. Any ideas? Are they on a spring?

Thanks.
Hi Rick, sounds like a common issue.

This is something I've experienced, also Glenn recently and a few others, a simple tap and she slots back into place.

I believe they may be lubricated along with other areas of the car with Nyogel, as told to me by my Indy. Other than that I don't have a definitive cure all

Cheers
Jim

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will have a fiddle around when I get a few minutes.

Reactions: PetA and JimboV8

· Registered
91 Posts
Had this on mine and it was grit that over time gets on the extending arm. I carefully pulled out each washer arm, made easier as neither of them were going back fully. Cleaned then sprayed with oil and they retracted perfectly.
That was a couple of years ago, and today I noticed that they were sticking out about 5mm, so sounds like they need another clean.

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: I had a fiddle around today, had a go at cleaning and moving the arms in and out but to no effect. I have also noticed water on the ground by the front wheel under the nearside washer so suspect there may be a leak. Does anyone know if it is possible to access the washers from within the wheel arch or is it a bumper off job?

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim, I am hoping that won't be necessary :cautious:

Reactions: JimboV8

· Registered
1,913 Posts
UPDATE: I had a fiddle around today, had a go at cleaning and moving the arms in and out but to no effect. I have also noticed water on the ground by the front wheel under the nearside washer so suspect there may be a leak. Does anyone know if it is possible to access the washers from within the wheel arch or is it a bumper off job?
A leak wouldn't stop them returning Rick, sounds like two issues to me I'm afraid.. :(

Reactions: JimC64

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I think you could be right, probably down the severe frost recently. Hey ho.

Oh, and thanks for your previous comment. Only to be expected from you I guess... ;):ROFLMAO:

· Registered
1,913 Posts
...Oh, and thanks for your previous comment. Only to be expected from you I guess... ;):ROFLMAO:
I have no idea what you mean Rick.. You appear to be 'profiling' me purely by/because of the content of my posts.. That's hardly fair..

It's not me, it's this Damn keyboard I tell you.. It's never liked me... :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: JimboV8

· Registered
91 Posts
Removing the front bumper assembly is not that bad, just note that there are different length fixings. First time I did it was a bit daunting but after the second time I wasn't too concerned.
By the third time I was getting quite good at it......

Just make sure you have a mat on the floor to lower it on to. There are wires and pipes to disconnect when you drop it down so you will end up moving it about, with it sitting on an old rug etc it won't get damaged.

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts