Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered that when I switch on the heated front screen only the drivers side clears. Checked my handbook, there is a fuse for each side (f14 & F15). These I have tested and are ok. Guess that means it must be the filament in the screen itself ?. Unless someone may be able to point me in another direction ....

Suffolkman

G

·
Check wiring in the bulkhead. Mine had exactly the same problem and the connection block was corroded. reconnected using big choc blocks, protected from water ingress and it's been good for 2 years.
There was a thread on here somewhere detailing exactly what to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that...just searched the website and found some posts re this problem. Bit cold today...but I will try and remove the plastic shroud, and see if I can find these connectors. Thanks again.

Suffolkman

·
Registered
690 Posts
Good call, was about to write the same...

Check wiring in the bulkhead. Mine had exactly the same problem and the connection block was corroded. reconnected using big choc blocks, protected from water ingress and it's been good for 2 years.
There was a thread on here somewhere detailing exactly what to do.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Put the heating on "auto" then press the front screen button, not the heated screen button. This will direct the air to the screen & increase fan speed to suite.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...my car has the touchscreen system. If i press auto, that pops up the screen so you can choose where you want air directed. One of the buttons is for screen & feet. BUT...not much air is delivered...plenty to footwell...but not much to screen.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you select auto, the climate control system kicks in & it chooses the best settings to maintain a balanced air circulation. Put it on auto & touch nothing or you will take it off auto.
I was suggesting you hit the defrost button just to prove that the screen vents do get a good flow of air.
I run me heater permanently on auto, only changing the temperature to suite.

G

·
If you don't want Auto or A/C try pressing the Defrost button which sets everything on to max, then touch the screen/feet button on the touch screen, press the A/C button to switch it off and then switch off both front and rear screen buttons. That re-directs a little more air to the windscreen (not a lot) but you can increase it by pressing the fan button............or just leave it on Auto............

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't want Auto or A/C try pressing the Defrost button which sets everything on to max, then touch the screen/feet button on the touch screen, press the A/C button to switch it off and then switch off both front and rear screen buttons. That re-directs a little more air to the windscreen (not a lot) but you can increase it by pressing the fan button............or just leave it on Auto............
Thank you all for taking the time to help me. My first step is to remove the plastic shroud and check the connectors. Re the windscreen heating...have tried all suggestions,,,thinking a mechanical rotary switch would be far simpler and more efficient.

Suffolkman

G

·
Yep, and it's an easy job once the plastic shroud is removed as it's fastened in with a clip. The electrical connectors for the screen are fastened to the bulkhead at each side. Obviously you only have to check the one that isn't working. Mine was so corroded that I had to break it to open it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi There,...and merry xmas to all. Just an update. A couple of days for xmas I got around to tackling the issue of only half the heated front screen working. As I was instructed, I removed the wiper arms with a tool fom ebay for about £8. I then removed the clips retaining the plastic shroud beneath the windscreen. Next I pulled out the pollen filter. To remove the plastic housing holding the pollen filter I just had to remove to 13mm nuts which hold the casing in place. I could then get to the plastic electrical connector that connects the passenger side windscreen heater terminals to the loom. To seperate the two halves of this plug in connector took me a good ten minutes to achieve. It was completely corroded together. When I finally managed to separate them, they were completely green and wet inside. I cut both halves off and replaced them with crimp on nipple & sockets. Lastly I bound the whole thing in plenty of insulating tape and reassembled the components. This morning the car windscreen was heavily frosted, I started the engine and hit the defrost switch......and...it both halves of the front screen cleared !!. FIXED. Thank you all for your help..Happy New Year to All.

Suffolkman

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
Well done and thanks for the update.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.