Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, after 4 x-types, just got my XK8, drove it down from the midlands yesterday, sat looking at it out of the window.....!!!!
Met blue, very very clean, 98k miles, full MOT, 9 jag stamps, full white leather, tidy 18 in alloys, 3750 quid....? Does not need anything doing, serviced 2 weeks ago, no rattles from engine...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Anyone not too far from Heathrow that has had his for ages I can nip it over to you for an opinion/ cup of tea ? Yes I know I have bought it already, but still, you cannot beat experience.....!!!??
Also, does anyone have folding rear seats in their xk8, or was it never an option..?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Sorry, I don't live near enough to Heathrow to help, but I can tell you folding seats were never an option in the X100 cars. I don't think elf an safety would go much on that idea. Perhaps because the petrol tank is right behind the seat back?

G

·
The rear seats are as much use as a chocolate teapot. Why would you want to fold them ?

Oh - and by the way - welcome to the wonderful world of XK8/R ownership.

As you may be aware, there are a few "Achilles heels" on these cars and, when time and/or finance permit, it would be worth making sure that .........

..........you have the later metal upper timing chain tensioners. Early ones were plastic and can eventually fail with catastrophic consequences.
..........the battery is relatively new. All sorts of anguish can result from a battery in poor condition, and the onset of winter is when you're likely to discover if that's the case.
..........there's no rust in hidden places - behind front suspension, rear suspension "subframe" and chassis member, sills and rear wing just above plastic bumper moulding.

Read though FrankC's "My XKR story" thread - http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=75123 - there's a huge amount of very useful information there, and even if you have neither the time and money and ability to achieve that sort of standard, it will give you a good idea of what to look for, and where to look for it.
I would guess that for £3750 it's a coupe so you are spared some of the issues that can sometimes arise with the convertible roof !!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Though of course a coupe does give one a sleekness in styling that a convertible can only dream of. Vive le Coupe!

Bobby, please note you need to update your signature so we all know what we're talking about!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful(ish) world of XK ownership Bobby. As a seasoned Jag owner you will of course already be aware that certain 'foibles' are built in to them but it's certainly useful to have a heads-up from 'them as knows'!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well folks, here is an update, it started giving me probs straight away, limp mode due to no trac etc.....Took it straight back to the seller and got a full refund. This afternoon went across town and got another one, British Racing Green, 81,000 miles, 1997, full history, but black piano gloss dash with chrome bezels, is there anyone wants to swap their wooden dash one for mine......!!!??? I can nip over to you and we can get the screwdrivers out.....!!
Does anyone have a chrome full grille for the front.....?
A, Folding seats wanted so I can get my fishing rod in,
B, Page will not show a little pencil so I can edit signature...?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Let's hope you haven't jumped out of the frying pan into the fire!

Question A: I think you'll find folding fishing rods are your best bet. Or a convertible!

Question B: Go to Settings in the top right hand corner; go to Edit Signature in lefthand column; edit and save.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Congrats and best of luck with this one Bobby

Jim

·
Registered
132 Posts
You may want to look at what the XK8/XKR ENTHUSIASTS CLUB has to offer. www.thexkec.co.uk
It's a lot of car for the money but there's a lot of potential problems too. Bore liners, water pumps, timing chain tensioners and then the gearbox!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Congrats on your second purchase and hope you have a good example and may appreciate in value. It must feel quite a step up from the X Types but will never be as practical. Years ago I tried to get my son interested in fishing and purchased a telescopic fishing rod which when collapsed would almost fit in a good sized glove box.
I have seen complete walnut interior trims on Ebay which you could buy then sell yours and hopefully get all your money back.
Please post some pictures up of your XK8.

·
7,785 Posts
Congratulations on your latest purchase. These cars are so good to look at we sometimes buy them with what I call "I want one eyes". If you have anyone local to you that is a member of one of these forums I would advise you to ask him to come and take an objective look at your latest car. Owners who have had them for a while can often spot things you probably would never think of looking at. For example have you tried your Hazard Light switch on the dash yet? They tend to stick on. Your drivers headrest, have you tried to make rise and fall? Your mirrors. On your rear view mirror is a tiny hole in the front at the top. Get a torch and shine it in there at the same time put your hand around the rear of the mirror and block that hole with your finger to stop the light getting in. ALL your mirrors should darken. Both side mirrors and the rear view. Have you looked at the rear of the car just above the corners of the bumper? They tend to get bubble rust there. I could go on and on but I am sure you get the idea.

You have done a wise thing in joining the forum. There is always someone on hand to help you out with a technical question and these guys are very quick to help anyone out with their vast knowledge of these cars. I have learned over the years there is no such thing as a "stupid question" We cannot be expected to know everything and its only human to make mistakes. We have all 'been there done that' in regard to 'daft mistakes'. I thought my car was totally rust free until a few weeks ago until my garage started to poke around with a large pointy screw driver. A few grand later I am now back into the position I thought I was those few weeks ago.

Dont get me wrong. They cars are a Joy. Common sense. A good bit of maintenance and you have a car that will only go up in value and be a pride and joy. So look after it and you have bought a car that others will envy. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.