Help needed to find correct ventilated front brake discs

RedLeader777

Reaction score
Hoping someone has a suggestion....

Car is a Series 2 2+2, 1970 going back together after lengthy engine rebuild. In the past the car has been extensively worked on by (now defunct) VSE and others. It has ventilated discs fitted front and rear, both an upgrade from original at some stage in the past.

Callipers at the front were Series 1 callipers with a spacer fitted to accommodate (what were believed to be) Series 3 ventilated discs.

New callipers were purchased and new Series 3 discs....but when fitted the disc is going to rub on upper suspension - the lack of clearance is about 7mm. Basically the "shoulders" in the hub of the S3 disc are too deep for my setup.

So - ideally I would like to find equivalent discs to those that were fitted - they are 280mm diameter.

If you measure from the outboard disc face to the outer measurement of the central boss this measures 30mm
If you place the disc flat on a desk so the inboard friction surface is on the desk and measure up through the centre to the outer face where the wheel would mount this is 52mm

Is this enough information for anyone to be able to suggest a solution please? From what I can see they do not seem equivalent to any other similar Jaguar ventilated disc (XJ6/XJS)

One option is to lightly skim the current discs as there is only light surface corrosion - they appear quite new....BUT, of course oneday I will face this problem when I need to replace them.

Otherwise I could fit the normal S2 front discs and get appropriate callipers.

I will appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks

Kevin

Paul in NE

Reaction score
If you haven't yet solved your problem you could contact MTEC, who make discs. They may be able to identify the origin of the discs from your dimensions.

RedLeader777

Reaction score
If you haven't yet solved your problem you could contact MTEC, who make discs. They may be able to identify the origin of the discs from your dimensions.
thanks for the tip

I shall look into this - for now my garage has skimmed my discs slightly so that they are as new - there is probably a fair bit of life left but I am aware the problem has only been kicked a way down the road

thanks again

RedLeader777

Reaction score
thanks for the tip

I shall look into this - for now my garage has skimmed my discs slightly so that they are as new - there is probably a fair bit of life left but I am aware the problem has only been kicked a way down the road

thanks again

piman

Reaction score
Hello Red Leader,

as Fangio said to Stirling Moss, when Moss asked him how he went so fast- "Less brakes, more throttle"

Alec

Paul in NE

Reaction score
Hello Red Leader,

as Fangio said to Stirling Moss, when Moss asked him how he went so fast- "Less brakes, more throttle"

Alec
Juan Manuel Fangio, my all time hero from the days when engines were in the right place, when men were men and sheep were frightened 😜