Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi All I am looking at a 2012 5ltr XFR , is there anything I should look out for , its done 34k and is at my local Jaguar dealership H A Fox , any feed back would be appreciated :-D
Dont know much about the XFR but as its from a main dealer it should come with a decent used warranty and it would have been checked by them, the only thing I'd look out for is the police in the rear view mirror, mileage is good for the year so If all is good I'd go for it. Enjoy it !!

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I did the same as you a bit over three years ago, sold my XFS and bought an XFR.
The main things to look out for on a used XFR are the same as any other XF - has it got full service history, have all the services been fully done at the right times, have the correct fluids been used, especially the engine oil?
If this all checks out then have a good look at the tyres and brakes, the XFR is even heavier on those than the "cooking" XF.
Check the condition of the tyres, the tread depth and the evenness of wear. If it has Dunlop SP Sport Maxx then double check for splits in the inner edges.
If any issue with the tyres insist they be replaced FOC before you put your money down.
Check the condition and thickness of all the brake rotors and brake pads, and if any are below spec insist on new replacements FOC.
Check for a rattly supercharger at start up and at idle, search for "coupler" and "torsion isolator" here and elsewhere.
Check for signs of coolant leaks, especially from the coolant cross-over pipe (top front of engine).
Check the operation and smoothness of the gearbox, it may need a fluid change if the mileage is over 60,000 miles.
Check that all the equipment and gadgets work as they should.
Last but not least, check the age of the battery, if it's the original then insist it be replaced FOC.

· Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
Hi All I am looking at a 2012 5ltr XFR , is there anything I should look out for , its done 34k and is at my local Jaguar dealership H A Fox , any feed back would be appreciated :-D
The main thing I would point out, in case you are not aware, it is not a Jaguar approved used car. It is being sold under the "Signature" brand which is H A Fox's used car brand for vehicles that don't meet all of the criteria for "approved used". We looked at an XJ from that very dealer earlier this year (and it was newer than the car you are looking at) but it only came with a three month warranty, which for a car of that value I considered to be pretty poor. Having said that, there are many threads on here and other forums that question the value of buying approved used anyway.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Please don't assume that just because it's a main dealer that your covered because I was stung big time buying from a main dealer when I first brought a XF thank god I was able to get a full refund but was still out of pocket what with travelling costs etc. I guess what I'm getting at is you still need to do your homework just as much with a main dealer as you do for a private sale or used car lot my experience of main dealer sales is that they would sell their own mother a duff car if they thought they would get away with it.

The main dealer I was stung by is not the dealer you are going to so perhaps they are more trustworthy.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
The XFR is not type approved for a towbar (just in case you wanted to tow a trailer). That's why i have the xfs instead.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Looks really nice

You could always put a holding deposit down then take your time to have a drive and a good look around then if it's not so good, as these videos they send do not show up chips and scratches, just walk away.

· Registered
118 Posts
Another XFS => XFR convert here.
It's really easy to get sucked in, the power, handling, noise etc are all intoxicating. They are fantastic beasts.

But if you are not happy walk away, there will always be another.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
XFR's are amazing cars, I looked at 2, both 2011 one was pre facelift the other was a facelift. Couple of guys already mentioned what to look for, alls I can think of is the 2012 model may be different to your XFS, depending if its a MY12 or MY13. My 62 reg is 13MY, this is when you got Meridian instead of Bowers and Wilkins, Stop/start (not sure if its on XFR) and from MY13 you can add speed cam alerts to your sat nav. Probably ideal in an XFR. Part of me wishes I did have an XFR but the running costs scared me off.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
The first year of the "facelift" XFR, so MY2012, kept the ZF 6 speed gearbox while all other XFs switched to the 8 speed. I also seem to remember that the MY2012 didn't have stop/start either.

· Registered
282 Posts
Having had an XFR for a while I'd also add to the list of things to look out for:

- Excessive wear on bushes and bearing noises
- Check the brake fluid colour to see if it needs a service
- The paddle shifts are responsive and gearbox behaves as it should
- No electrical problems whatsoever with all the different buttons and switches
- The wing mirrors aren't "loose" when you try to move them by hand - one of mine is and a replacement costs £300ish
- No signs of water in the boot compartment - potentially disastrous as that's where the battery is
- No odd noises at idle and high RPMs - rag the tits off her when you take her for a test drive, don't be shy
- The auto dimming works on both wing mirrors - the rear view mirror is the controller so any problems either side means replacing that

And more broadly speaking, don't let them wash it or offer to put on any form of protective sealant. Save your money and get it professionally detailed instead, much better longer term investment.

The above sounds scary but really, for a performance car, I'm super happy since I bought it. It's so easy to look after if you take care of it and most of the servicing you can do yourself for less than most family cars cost to maintain! It's an absolute no brainer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.