Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rubber jacking pad that I used last year didn't last very long and started to split. I was wondering if there was a better material that could be used.

I had already made several plastic bow rollers (for boats) from Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene (UHMWPE). This plastic is commonly used in orthopedic joints and in the gravel industry due in part to its high resistance to abrasion. It has the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic but may not be suitable for high load applications.

I already had some 50mm UHMWPE rod. I cut off a length and chamfered the end in a microlathe so that it would fit into my trolley jack. I don't really know how to use my microlathe properly but I'm learning by trial and error.

I then cut a groove similar in size to that on the jack supplied with the car. The groove is a bit rough as I only had a Lidl handheld router. I tried using a hacksaw but that was nigh on impossible.

I've just used the pad to change to my winter wheels and tyres. There is a tiny dent in the plastic where the jacking point seam went but it looks like it will outlast any rubber puck. Time will tell.

If anybody decides to follow my attempt, you do so at your own risk! Buying rod of the correct diameter will save having to chamfer the end.

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
Nice job, looks great and works well by the looks of things! :-D

You could of course make these to order.......specifically for Jag owners to start with and expand from there.

Jim

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job, looks great and works well by the looks of things! :-D

You could of course make these to order.......specifically for Jag owners to start with and expand from there.

Jim
Thanks Jim.

I could make them to order but it literally took me hours. Labour costs would be extortionate.

If anybody wants plastic of any kind in rods or sheets Direct Plastics are brilliant. https://www.directplastics.co.uk/uhmwpe-rod They also give full technical details of each plastic to help you choose.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
I think these types of things are already on the market (try "jacking pad" on ebay, for example).

If I'm using a trolley jack, I try and find one of the alternative jacking/axle stand points which are usually big enough to use a flat piece of wood or wood plus some scrap foam. The sill points, I would only use with the emergency jack if I was away from home.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think these types of things are already on the market (try "jacking pad" on ebay, for example).

If I'm using a trolley jack, I try and find one of the alternative jacking/axle stand points which are usually big enough to use a flat piece of wood or would plus some scrap foam. The sill points, I would only use with the emergency jack if I was away from home.
That's a very valid point which was discussed in another thread. The pad could still be used in the alternative jacking points.

I nearly made the slot much narrower to reduce the risk of the seam buckling as has happened to some people but decided to go with the size on the supplied jack.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
You forget the satisfaction factor of fabricating your own Neil , nothing nicer than using something your father or grandfather made .
Well done Cats Paws you made a lovely job of them
As Cat Paws said, it took a long time and it was still not perfect. Some things are worth spending a lot of time on and others are not. I do cobble things together, maybe too often, but then regret the time wasted if the solution is actually easily available and cheap. I currently have a fairly valuable home hifi power amp that is playing up. I'm no electronics expert but having done some research, I believe it is a fairly easy fix and I will happily spend some time trying to sort it. Shipping 27 kg of amp to "experts" to be repaired and then having it returned with scratches fill me with fear. However, I have given up trying too hard to fix cheap stuff.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
We have recently bought an older house and most of my time is currently going into sorting the obvious stuff. Rewired the bigger garage recently and now I have a local fuse box and Fi-switch, good lights, 6 double plug sockets and a pair outside sockets. All the wiring is protected in plastic tubing and looks fairly tidy. A dramatic improvement over the spider's web of cables that were pinned untidily across the walls. So, I think it is better for me to deal with the low hanging fruits rather than spend too much time on stuff that gives me too little return. Naturally, I find that hard, as I don't like throwing things away and feel I should fix them but I'm learning slowly.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Never had a problem with a hockey puc I got off ebay about 5 years ago it's still going strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.