Horn stuck on!

karl1

Reaction score
I was stuck in rush hour yesterday in my Series 3 xj6, when the horn just came on.

It couldn't have happened at a worse place or time.:mrgreen: The chap in front of me thought that i was tooting him:mrgreen:.

He got out off his car and started shouting at me :razz:, so did the person behind me:shock:.

Anyway, I had to turn the ignition off just to shut the horn up!

However, the moment I turned the ignition on it blow and blow she did:razz:.

I finally managed to find where the horns are located and managed to pull the wire off. (Silence)

I could here the horns in my poor ears for hours:razz::razz::razz:.

Does anyone know what maybe the cause of this? ( Not me hearing the horns in my ears lol ).

XJ for two

Reaction score
probably the contacts at the horn push in the steering column.

there is a fuse in a fuse holder located above and slightly behind the battery in Left Hand Drive cars.
removing this fuse will turn off the horn circuit.

to troubleshoot, remove the 2 screws behind the steering wheel's horn pad.
pull the pad and look at a cream colored nut with a brass center hole.

remove it counter clockwise with a 24mm socket.

reconnect the horns and the fuse if removed, and see if it stops them.

equiprx

Reaction score
I think the series III used the same stupid horn electrical connector as the XJS.
On the XJS it is a complicated arrangement of a metal rod, plastic insulators and copper spring contacts.
I can't understand is why Jaguar designers need to reinvent things that are nearly universally common and foolproof.
They come up with the most ridiculous 'Rube Goldberg' ways to solve problems that don't exist.
Somewhere around the time Ford got involved they fixed the horn/signal canceling problems using a very simple part.

XJ for two

Reaction score
actually it is a very simple system in that it is required due to the telescoping steering column.
Ford did not do anything to fix any problem, any design changes were done at Jaguar Cars by Jaguar Cars
engineers.
Being a a Ford owner, I know about complicated steering column designs, such as the Neutral Safety Switch,
made almost impossible to repair without removing the entire steering column.