How long to change the brake fluid?

8bit

Reaction score
I'm sure it was turning the piston, yep. I've done the rear brakes on this and my previous XKRs a few times, nothing seemed out of the ordinary other than that the piston only turned about one and a half times I think before it stopped, but I initially thought that was just because the pads were only about half worn.

I did clean the sliding pins when I put them back in but obviously they were out completely in order to get the caliper off the carrier to change the pads. Why would that affect how far back the piston could be wound in?

MrKis

Reaction score
I did clean the sliding pins when I put them back in but obviously they were out completely in order to get the caliper off the carrier to change the pads. Why would that affect how far back the piston could be wound in?
My fault, getting confused about the movement of the caliper and trying to picture your issue. Thinking it might not have its full range of slide. When of course you cant get the caliper over the disc, with pads.

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I took out fairly unworn pads and, IIRC, still had to turn the piston in quite a few turns and it sort-of disappears into the caliper cylinder with the top virtually flush with the rubber seal, coming back out on pressing the brake pedal. Maybe it is caught somewhere?

8bit

Reaction score
That's sort of my current thinking as well, just not sure what it could be stuck on. I guess if I try loosening the bleed nipple before winding the piston back next time I'll get some fluid leakage?

woo5ie

Reaction score
You are probably well aware of this but I seem to remember that one side is reverse threaded.
One and a half turns seems very little. Could that be just a bit of slack. Not sure if that is all models and years of XK.

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
You are probably well aware of this but I seem to remember that one side is reverse threaded.
I'm trying to find confirmation of this but it is not mentioned in the workshop manual. I don't remember using both of the rewind tools in the set when I did mine. I'm almost sure that they both turn in clockwise.

If you are not using a tool that pushes against the outer caliper "legs" (e.g. the "cube"), you do have to push quite firmly when turning.

M100 TWO

Reaction score
They are both right handed did the tool lock Up by applying to much pressure On the piston?

john

8bit

Reaction score
I'm certain both sides thread the same way but I can't remember if they're opposite thread, I think they may be.

@M100 TWO not sure what you mean? Once the piston was as far back as it would go I had to use a fair bit of force on the collar that holds the plate to the inside of the caliper to release it certainly?

The tool I have is very much like this one, never had an issue with it on the old car or this one. Mine has flats on the top (right-hand in that photo) end of the silver collar in the middle, to get a spanner on to tighten or loosen.

553773570.jpg

I'm wondering now if this is just the start of that caliper failing...

M100 TWO

Reaction score
you only need a small amount of pressure on the piston to push back, as you wind in the Tommy bar in also adjust the body by winding back so only light pressure is applied on the piston.

john

MrKis

Reaction score
What was the brake fluid level like? Wondering if pushing the pistons back overfilled the reservoir. #longshot.