Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that I unable to open the boot when the engine is running when I drop my wife at the train station without switching the engine off.

I have tried pressing the button, opening the driver door but I have noy found any other way except to turn off the engine and then press the button.
Does anybody know how to do this please.

· Registered
2,467 Posts
You don't say what year your car is and that may have some bearing on this.

Having said that the dashboard boot release works on my car with the engine running, perhaps it is necessary to have the car in neutral ?

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2003. 3.0 sport manual.

I always put the car in neutral when I stop so this is not the problem and dashboard release only works after I have turned the engine off.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Have you tried pressing the boot release on the keyfob? Not as convenient as the dash button I know.

Regards................................IP

· Registered
2,467 Posts
2003. 3.0 sport manual.

I always put the car in neutral when I stop so this is not the problem and dashboard release only works after I have turned the engine off.
Being a manual probably negates that idea, AFAIK the manual has no neutral switch,.

Have you tried pressing the boot release on the keyfob? Not as convenient as the dash button I know.

Regards................................IP
The door unlock on the fob doesn't work when the key is in the ignition lock, at least on mine.

If it is region specific then the handbook should say what should happen.

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the handbooks but they are in Italian and I can not read them. I would have thought that the valet switch would mean that the boot cannot be opened when the car is not running not the other way around but it is worth a try.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
I have the handbooks but they are in Italian and I can not read them. I would have thought that the valet switch would mean that the boot cannot be opened when the car is not running not the other way around but it is worth a try.
Topix has all the handbooks: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=65632&groupId=1655

EDIT: From the 2003 handbook:

"To open the luggage compartment:
• Press the luggage compartment lid
release switch (A) on the fascia
switchpack, or;
• Press the luggage compartment
button (B) on the key transmitter, or;
• With the vehicle unlocked, press the
release button (D) on the
compartment lid."

Mine is a MY2001 car but works this way too. Just press the facia button and the boot opens.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a good idea with the handbrake, it would explain why I can open it using the button on the facia once I have turned the engine off as the hand brake is then applied. I will try it in the morning.

· Registered
22,331 Posts
For those who don't know about it, see if you have that Valet switch.

It should be in the glove box, if it's not fitted the cable and plug are to the side of the box shell, ready for the box to be removed for the switch to be fitted.

If you have one it prevents the trunk / boot being opened, so the car boot contents are safe once the glovebox is locked when leaving the car to valets!

Could be a US option only, I don't know.

· Registered
2,467 Posts
It would be nice of the Valet switch was on the UK cars, I currently have my glove box out and I haven't seen a 6-way black connector near the glove box - certainly no switch.

The following is from the 2002.5 electrical manual:

NOTE: Check market specification for fitment of Valet Switch.

The good news is that it is just a switch wired in series with the boot release switch so retro-fitting one would be easy enough.

There is a but though.....

· Registered
10,049 Posts
I have found that I unable to open the boot when the engine is running when I drop my wife at the train station without switching the engine off.

I have tried pressing the button, opening the driver door but I have noy found any other way except to turn off the engine and then press the button.
Does anybody know how to do this please.
Yes, put the gear selector in neutral. The buttons won't work when in D or R

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now I feel really stupid :cry: The answer is that the switch is turned off when then EPB is not applied. When you apply the handbrake I can open the boot with the engine running.

Now my wife can get her own suitcase out when I take her to the train station and I can stay in the nice warm car:-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.