Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been using a small amount of coolant for some time and I couldn't find where it was coming from, this has escalated in the last few days to a very large amount, to now using over 3 litres in a 25 mile journey. I filled it up yesterday, started it and shone a torch around the engine bay. There was a constant drip underneath what I believe is the water pump (right side front under the air box with drivebelt)
It looks to be coming from the centre of the housing now I've removed a few parts to get better access. Can anyone tell me if it's likely to be a gasket or more likely a replacement pump (knowing my luck) and also any information on removal and refitting would be most appreciated.....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you remove the air box & the bracket below it (3x10mm bolts) then the EGR pipe, you will have good access to the pump which is driven by the power steering pump. Remove the belt & unbolt the PS pump from the water pump. a few hoses to remove, then the pump is bolted to the front of the engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gents, I've removed most already just probably the battery to go to make access easier. Can anyone recommend whether to go for genuine or recommend a quality aftermarket part?
I have a new oil cooler thermostat to replace anyway so I'd have been getting in there sometime soon just maybe not this soon and may as well change the other thermostat while I'm at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I had a leak from the same area and about the same amount of fluid loss it turn out to be the oil cooler thermostat that was leaking it wasn't that easy to see used a small mirror, obtained a new one from Fords. On replacing I found the stat was broken on the O ring grove internally therefore allowing water to bypass the o ring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish that's where it was coming from as I have a new one ready to fit but I can see it is clearly coming from the underside of the water pump and no sign of any loss from the oil cooler stat, its dripping constantly even with no pressure in the system.
My main concern now is regarding the quality of aftermarket replacements as I need this sorted as soon as possible so I'm looking at ordering from Euro Car Parts on next day delivery and they stock Circoli or Airtex, I guess that's my only option.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I used a pattern pump from a local factors, no problem with it at all, just make sure it comes with a new O ring as this is the water seal between the 2 pumps, mine also came with new grease to lub the pinion.

The pinion failed on my pump as the pictures.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, I've ordered a new one and gasket from Euro Car Parts and just changed my insurance to my old faithful Volvo V40 T4 until it's done. Thankfully that one never lets me down ��
I will make sure the O ring is with it and apply some grease.
Better get some fresh coolant ordered while I'm at it......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link but I’ll need one for a diesel, I’m sure I’ll find one easily enough and although it’s tight in there it looks doable and will be easier to work out where all the bolts are when the replacement arrives

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the link but I'll need one for a diesel, I'm sure I'll find one easily enough and although it's tight in there it looks doable and will be easier to work out where all the bolts are when the replacement arrives
I'm sure you will. It's amazing what there is on there, I rarely tackle a job around the house and car without finding it. A couple of years ago I bought a camera, it came in a box, and there was a video explaining at length how to take it out!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All done including new oil cooler thermostat, had her up to pressure and no sign of leaks. In retrospect, I should have replaced the coolant thermostat while I was at it so just ordered one, will replace that when it arrives and give it a good run before filling with coolant. Start a new job a week on Monday so she’d better behave after this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.