I am looking into buying a "new to me" 1997 Jaguar XJ6L with 181,000 miles on the clock.

Is it worth the money?

• If it is in "excellent" condition, yes!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Probably not. Walk away.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If you know how well it has been maintained, 181,000 miles isn't "worn out". That's a "probably"."

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, this car isn't worth the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captain O

Reaction score
Pacific Northwest US of A (The Colonies).
I'm an old man on a pension and Social Security. I am hoping that I'll squeeze at least 350,000 to 400,000 miles out of the old I6. I feel that Ford made certain that with the consistent synthetic lubrication and valve train maintenance, the DOHC I6 may last that long. After that, I could drop a GM LS2 under the bonnet.

Edit: After perusing the online offerings, I believe that I can keep the Jaguar all "Coventry" by purchasing a used engine and having it rebuilt or restored. It would be more than worth it to keep the vehicle 100% British!

Last edited:

JimC64

Reaction score
Congrats, sounds like a lovely car, hope she serves you well

Here's a link for you and Marleay, with an option of how to post pics that may help you. Mac has another option, but I can't find right now, he may drop by at some point and add link to he dropbox option hopefully

Cheers
Jim

ColinG

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase Captain O, be good to see some pics if you figure it out.

c15htn

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new cat!

As I am still working and doing some mileage I am dumping my company car shortly so Ive bought a Jag - I've wanted a big cat since I was about 12. I was taught to drive on the beach at 14 in a 60's bank robber S-type I've always had a soft spot for pussycats!
I did look very hard at tbe aluminium 2.7d XJ cars, but couldn't realistically run them on my company allowance, so I'm firmly in love with a biggish mileage XF 3.0d..... what a car!

Welcome to the car you've always promised yourself eh?

Jim (the newer one 😁)

Captain O

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new cat!

As I am still working and doing some mileage I am dumping my company car shortly so Ive bought a Jag - I've wanted a big cat since I was about 12. I was taught to drive on the beach at 14 in a 60's bank robber S-type I've always had a soft spot for pussycats!
I did look very hard at tbe aluminium 2.7d XJ cars, but couldn't realistically run them on my company allowance, so I'm firmly in love with a biggish mileage XF 3.0d..... what a car!

Welcome to the car you've always promised yourself eh?

Jim (the newer one 😁)
My late father was a Boatswain's Mate First Class (passed, but not advanced) to Chief Petty Officer 13 times. Was a "Frogman" (Underwater Demolition Team as well as a part of the Navy Rifle Team). The man was blown into Pearl Harbor that fateful Sunday morning. (It was then when he lost his Indian Chief). A piece of shrapnel was pulled from his head. He was "patched up" and sent back out to the fleet. Seven more ships were sunk from beneath him during the war and the man killed with his bare hands, blew Japanese troop trains in tunnels, and more.
After the war, he went to Antarctica with Admiral Byrd for hydrological studies during "Operation Highjump" (1947-1949). He was called back into action during that "dustup" in Korea where he caught his third, and final "Purple Heart".

Daddy always loved the XKE and the Porsche 356 (and later, the 911). This is where I cultivated my appreciation for the Jag and Porsche. We both rode BMW motorcycles until he passed away at the tender age of 57 (almost 58) on September 6th, 1975.

This is why I'm so fond of the big saloon. I love my 2003 Lincoln Town Car and the Jaguar XJ6L. (It makes sense, doesn't it)?

Last edited:

Captain O

Reaction score
I heard from my attorney today and he's putting a check in the mail this afternoon. (I hope that it gets here by Friday). I want to run over to Vancouver and make the final payment on the XJ6L. After that, it will be registration, retitling, insurance, and new (Oregon) license plates. It will be a great day when I can take the "cat" for a nice, long drive! (y) 😍 😎

Good heavens, I feel like a child awaiting Christmas morning! (A bit silly, isn't it)?

Last edited:

Captain O

Reaction score
I am still awaiting the arrival of the Cashier's Check from my attorney (damned "snail mail"). I pray that it arrives before Friday so that I can finish paying for the X330 and take her out for her "maiden" drive. He put the check in the mail on Tuesday evening. Why should it take 8 days to travel 50 miles?

How long, oh Lord?

NM_OLD

Reaction score
I am still awaiting the arrival of the Cashier's Check from my attorney (damned "snail mail"). I pray that it arrives before Friday so that I can finish paying for the X330 and take her out for her "maiden" drive. He put the check in the mail on Tuesday evening. Why should it take 8 days to travel 50 miles?

How long, oh Lord?
I'm amazed you didn't drive the 50 miles to collect your cheque in person! I hope it comes today :)