Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

Registered
XFRS, XKR, XKRS, F Type R, F Type SVR, F Pace SVR, XKR
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, has anyone been in the situation - position where you feel you may have bought the wrong car, but your not 100% sure you have or haven鈥檛 ??? 馃槺
It鈥檚 happening to me right now I鈥檓 tormented by this daily, if not hourly. 馃槩 馃ゴ

I have been torn between two cars but had to make a on the spot decision 馃サ, as another interested party was on the phone to the seller, in front of me, as I was looking at the exact car the phone caller was enquiring about . The guy on the phone wanted to put an over the phone holding deposit on it, as he was on the way down. He would be arriving in 2 hours, travelling from North Yorkshire. This was not a set up as I arrived to view the car 45 min鈥檚 earlier than my appointment and the seller was outside when I arrived. Literally as I got out of the car apologizing about being so early his phone rang.

The cars in question are a 2006 Blue Daimler Super EIGHT X356 with 57k miles and an Emerald Green XJ8 Sovereign X358 March 2009 with 45k miles.

Price wise and spec wise there was very little difference. Although the Daimler has rear TV鈥檚 in the front headrest, rear climate control and active cruise control. The XJ8 has cooled seats, but apart from that there very similar in spec.

The better condition of the two was the Jag but not by much. I had been looking at the Daimler 3 times and had decided to go for that, until I came across the Emerald Green X358. As explained above I was under some on the spot pressure, as Emerald green is my fav color I put a deposit on the Jaguar.

I鈥檒l be collecting it next week all being well, but I have a nagging voice at the back of my head still saying OMG the Daimler was gorgeous and rare.
I鈥檇 appreciate any comments, thought鈥檚 etc. on this. Although I am not sure if they will me make feel better or even worst, god help me!!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Mirror Gear shift Motor vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
Neither of them was wrong, so you did OK.

(... although I would have bought the Super 8)

Premium Member
Both great cars, I would have chosen the X358 also.
Ditto from me, the X358 is a gorgeous thing, loved mine.

Very very close, I feel your indecision, but yes, the X358 was a good choice

Doesn't really matter what we think though, as long as you're happy

Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ditto from me, the X358 is a gorgeous thing, loved mine.

Very very close, I feel your indecision, but yes, the X358 was a good choice

Doesn't really matter what we think though, as long as you're happy

Jim
Thanks Jim, and yes that's very true and fortunately over the years the only car I have ever been disappointed with was a 2017 BMW M4 Competition.
It was a lovely looking car, gorgeous inside, superb HUD system but I just didn鈥檛 like the way it drove.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire
Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

Premium Member
Thanks Jim, and yes that's very true and fortunately over the years the only car I have ever been disappointed with was a 2017 BMW M4 Competition View attachment 58140 View attachment 58141 View attachment 58142 . It was a lovely looking car, gorgeous inside, superb HUD system but I just didn鈥檛 like the way it drove.
Thats a nice car Charlie, nice in its own way and no doubt fast too.

Personally never been into the BMW brand much myself, just doesn't really do it for me

Jim

Premium Member
Tv in the back is worthless, you will never sit there, they are antique and the headrests are rigid.

Reactions: Snk Vlad and mbd424

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thats a nice car Charlie, nice in its own way and no doubt fast too.

Personally never been into the BMW brand much myself, just doesn't really do it for me

Jim
I sold it privately and then bought an older M3 version, the E92 V8 naturally aspirated in Santorini Blue. I still have it, 2012 15000 miles, 2 owners from new. It revs out to 8750 rpm and sounds fantastic inside the cabin.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tv in the back is worthless, you will never sit there, they are antique and the headrests are rigid.
Thanks Flatcap, I actually didn't realize that about the headrests being static. Well, you learn something new each and every time you log on.
Again, I'm feeling happier about my choice of the XJ8.

Registered
The cars in question are a 2006 Blue Daimler Super EIGHT X356 with 57k miles and an Emerald Green XJ8 Sovereign X358 March 2009 with 45k miles.
We don't get the Daimler trim in the U.S., but comparing a SuperV8 2006 to a standard engine 2009 X358, I'll take the X358 every day of the week. Both are gorgeous, of course, but I sure think the X358 face is superior and less dated. Sure, the Daimler has a Supercharger, but if your X358 has a V8, you've got plenty of power. Plus, this isn't a track car. And I agree 100% with FlatCap on the rear displays. No one needs that today; if you have kids, they're going to be watching their phones and iPads in much higher resolution. They make the car look dated, and they make you look like a chauffeur for spoiled rugrats. Finally, on the two specimens you presented, I think the wheels are better on the X358.

Boy, do I miss mine...

Reactions: Snk Vlad and #steve

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We don't get the Daimler trim in the U.S., but comparing a SuperV8 2006 to a standard engine 2009 X358, I'll take the X358 every day of the week. Both are gorgeous, of course, but I sure think the X358 face is superior and less dated. Sure, the Daimler has a Supercharger, but if your X358 has a V8, you've got plenty of power. Plus, this isn't a track car. And I agree 100% with FlatCap on the rear displays. No one needs that today; if you have kids, they're going to be watching their phones and iPads in much higher resolution. They make the car look dated, and they make you look like a chauffeur for spoiled rugrats. Finally, on the two specimens you presented, I think the wheels are better on the X358.

Boy, do I miss mine...
Dear CanyonLakeJags, many thanks for your comments and I do agree that the X358 is more of a younger man's car. Plus, to make it an even stronger case for the Jag, I forgot to mention it's the 4.2 V8 "Supercharged馃挩" version (y)

Registered
Dear CanyonLakeJags, many thanks for your comments and I do agree that the X358 is more of a younger man's car. Plus, to make it an even stronger case for the Jag, I forgot to mention it's the 4.2 V8 "Supercharged馃挩" version (y)
Well, then it's a no-brainer. Good job!

Reactions: r04drunner1
1 - 20 of 97 Posts