Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
XFRS, XKR, XKRS, F Type R, F Type SVR, F Pace SVR, XKR
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
If that car is supercharged, which it looks like from the speedo, then it is a SWB Super V8. Japan liked to downplay the SV8, my car is also marked as XJ8L Sovereign.
Hi Pete, thanks for the comment, and why did it get downplayed in Japan?

Sadly it's not a Super V8, or LWB it is a XJ V8 Sovereign SWB Supercharged.

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I agree in part, the TV is analog and receives no signal, but on my car the headrests are electric raise and lower like the front ones. If the rear screens are fitted, you can feed them through the boot DVD player, or your own source via the RCA connectors on the rear entertainment panel. Sadly my car does not have the rear screens, but does have the rear entertainment, obviously audio only.
Pete M
Just for information same as yours Pete M, mine also has the rear entertainment in the arm rest (y).

Automotive design Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Pete, thanks for the comment, and why did it get downplayed in Japan?

Sadly it's not a Super V8, or LWB it is a XJ V8 Sovereign SWB Supercharged.

View attachment 58300 .
Hi CharlieSVR
Check your vin number and look at digits 6 and 7. There is no such model as a XJ V8 Sovereign SWB Supercharged.
Yours should be SAJKC74??8TH?????. I think in the table below 74 should be 4 door 5 seat normal wheelbase.
SV8 = Super V8.
Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

For some strange reason, Super V8s in Japan don't seem to have the SuperV8 badges. Mine was even ordered from the factory as 'no rear badges'. As you can see below, it is also badged as an XJ8 L Sovereign. But my VIN is SAJKC82L78TH25812 which you can see from the table is an LWB Super V8. I have photos of a car from a Japan auction site that has an identical appearance to mine, right down to the badges. . I don't think the SWB cars have the 4-zone aircon though. There is another SWB SuperV8 owner on this forum, in UK, also in Midnight.

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

Enjoy your car, it is a rare one, especially in X358 form, as Super V8s were not a listed model for 2008. They must have been specially ordered to a particular specification.

Regards
Pete M

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Hi CharlieSVR
Check your vin number and look at digits 6 and 7. There is no such model as a XJ V8 Sovereign SWB Supercharged.
Yours should be SAJKC74??8TH?????. I think in the table below 74 should be 4 door 5 seat normal wheelbase.
SV8 = Super V8.
View attachment 58303
For some strange reason, Super V8s in Japan don't seem to have the SuperV8 badges. Mine was even ordered from the factory as 'no rear badges'. As you can see below, it is also badged as an XJ8 L Sovereign. But my VIN is SAJKC82L78TH25812 which you can see from the table is an LWB Super V8. I have photos of a car from a Japan auction site that has an identical appearance to mine, right down to the badges. . I don't think the SWB cars have the 4-zone aircon though. There is another SWB SuperV8 owner on this forum, in UK, also in Midnight.

View attachment 58304

Enjoy your car, it is a rare one, especially in X358 form, as Super V8s were not a listed model for 2008. They must have been specially ordered to a particular specification.

Regards
Pete M
Oh wow 😲, that's got me confused, but thanks all the same. So, ok I'll ask for a copy of the V5, as I've not collected the car yet, and then I can use your table to unravel the mystery. I'll let you know but I thought the spec's were SE, Executive, Sovereign and then Super 8, is that not the case?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Oh wow 😲, that's got me confused, but thanks all the same. So, ok I'll ask for a copy of the V5, as I've not collected the car yet, and then I can use your table to unravel the mystery. I'll let you know but I thought the spec's were SE, Executive, Sovereign and then Super 8, is that not the case?
Hi Peter, in your chart look at "Prefix 6-7" and go down to items 87 and 88. It says 5 & 4 seat Sovereign, I guess they never showed SWB (Standard Wheel Base.) cause it was standard and thus not offered as an option. Also what is the difference between 74 & 78?? as they both say exactly the same?

Also, I have two other numbers within my vin number (6 8) that are not refereed to / don't appear in Prefix's 8 & 9.What does this mean?
The final few numbers and letter match up to the chart.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hi Peter, in your chart look at "Prefix 6-7" and go down to items 87 and 88. It says 5 & 4 seat Sovereign, I guess they never showed SWB (Standard Wheel Base.) cause it was standard and thus not offered as an option. Also what is the difference between 74 & 78?? as they both say exactly the same?

Also, I have two other numbers within my vin number (6 8) that are not refereed to / dont appear in Prefix's 8 & 9.What does this mean?
Also do the cars from Japan have reduced / restricted performance compared to UK cars? If so by how much??

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Not as far as I’m aware. The differences are slight.
OK thanks.
I am getting different / conflicting opinions from my friends on this topic of Japan cars being restricted. It would be good to hear from other members that may know about this as well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I looked at a Japanese import S type (2.5l SE) a while back, as was looking for a good rot free example. It certainly ticked that box, as with your XJ, underneath was like new. Other immediately noticeable differences were the speedo was in KM's, the radio wouldn't pick up UK station frequencies, it didn't have Bluetooth phone connectivity, and it was at least three times the price of a UK car! I can't say for certain about different emissions specs etc, but performance didn't seem much different to my UK 2.5l. Given the price, and the extra cost to convert things to UK spec, and I really wanted a 3.0l, I decided to walk away, so never bothered to look into if there were any further hidden differences.

Regards,
OW

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I looked at a Japanese import S type (2.5l SE) a while back, as was looking for a good rot free example. It certainly ticked that box, as with your XJ, underneath was like new. Other immediately noticeable differences were the speedo was in KM's, the radio wouldn't pick up UK station frequencies, it didn't have Bluetooth phone connectivity, and it was at least three times the price of a UK car! I can't say for certain about different emissions specs etc, but performance didn't seem much different to my UK 2.5l. Given the price, and the extra cost to convert things to UK spec, and I really wanted a 3.0l, I decided to walk away, so never bothered to look into if there were any further hidden differences.

Regards,
OW
Oh wow, I don't blame you.

The place I bought mine from has addressed everything I asked him to do with no price increase / hike at all.
A new Full MOT with ALL advisories done, split bushes replaced, wheel alinement and tracking done, replaced track rods, as it had a knock, and a tire as it had a puncture repair on the sdie wall. Plus, new head lining, sun visors, rear parking sensor, rectified a slightly marked wheel and sourced a missing cigarette lighter, although I don't smoke. Full valet inside and out and with a 3-month warranty. So, I guess depending on where you go I guess there's different levels of service and attention to detail. I cannot fault "Wise Motors of London" made me feel like I was King 🤴

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
To be fair, it was in lovely condition, and with all paperwork done/duties paid etc, but was otherwise just 'as imported'.
If it had been a 3.0l and a bit less pricey, or they would have included the conversions in the price, I would have probably pursued it a bit further, but it wasn't to be.

Regards,
OW

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
To be fair, it was in lovely condition, and with all paperwork done/duties paid etc, but was otherwise just 'as imported'.
If it had been a 3.0l and a bit less pricey, or they would have included the conversions in the price, I would have probably pursued it a bit further, but it wasn't to be.

Regards,
OW
Sometimes being patient and waiting can pay dividends. I was fortunate enought not to be in a rush and bided my time and it work out to be the right thing to do in my case :cool:.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

Also, I have two other numbers within my vin number (6 8) that are not refereed to / don't appear in Prefix's 8 & 9.What does this mean?
Hi Peter, I have managed to work out why on your / the list under "Prefix 6-7" that all of the models listed, apart from two, are listed twice.
This section covers the code for the body type, so why are there two different body types for the same car? And its no SWB v LWB.
It would be insteresting to see what other people think it is. I believe I know but can anyone else work it out?

·
Registered
84 Posts

Hi Charlie,
First off, all the model designations like XJ8, SE, Executive, Sovereign etc apply only to the normally aspirated cars. The only models that the supercharged cars came as were Jaguar XJR, Jaguar Super V8 and Daimler Super Eight.
If your car is supercharged, it will be one of those. The XJR has 73 (SWB only). The Super V8 is 74 or 78 for 4/5 seat SWB, as I think the entry for 74 is a misprint, should be 4door/5seat. The 4 seat versions are incredibly rare. The LWB Super V8 is 82 (mine) or 86. Daimlers aren't on that list but are equivalent to the VdP/SV8 spec.
Prefix 8 is the ECS or emission spec. Japan has relatively relaxed emission spec, and mine is the same as the one for New Zealand. Prefix 9 is the check digit and it can be decoded using the rest of the VIN. I have the formula but it's in a format I can't post at the moment.
Japan market cars were all made with the mandatory Japanese VICS (Vehicle Information Control System) built in. This really messes with the internal electronics such as speech, navigation, bluetooth, telephone etc. Just forget about any of those, it's too hard to change everything. Navigation can be made to work, but it's very old and clunky compared to what's on your phone. Radio frequencies seem to be ok when the language is changed. My car has a Km/h speedo, which is right for NZ. I also have 'Supercharged' on all three instruments.
Regards,
Pete
Enjoy your journey of discovery, you've done well to get such a great car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Hi Charlie,
First off, all the model designations like XJ8, SE, Executive, Sovereign etc apply only to the normally aspirated cars. The only models that the supercharged cars came as were Jaguar XJR, Jaguar Super V8 and Daimler Super Eight.
If your car is supercharged, it will be one of those. The XJR has 73 (SWB only). The Super V8 is 74 or 78 for 4/5 seat SWB, as I think the entry for 74 is a misprint, should be 4door/5seat. The 4 seat versions are incredibly rare. The LWB Super V8 is 82 (mine) or 86. Daimlers aren't on that list but are equivalent to the VdP/SV8 spec.
Prefix 8 is the ECS or emission spec. Japan has relatively relaxed emission spec, and mine is the same as the one for New Zealand. Prefix 9 is the check digit and it can be decoded using the rest of the VIN. I have the formula but it's in a format I can't post at the moment.
Japan market cars were all made with the mandatory Japanese VICS (Vehicle Information Control System) built in. This really messes with the internal electronics such as speech, navigation, bluetooth, telephone etc. Just forget about any of those, it's too hard to change everything. Navigation can be made to work, but it's very old and clunky compared to what's on your phone. Radio frequencies seem to be ok when the language is changed. My car has a Km/h speedo, which is right for NZ. I also have 'Supercharged' on all three instruments.
Regards,
Pete
Enjoy your journey of discovery, you've done well to get such a great car.
All very interesting stuff Pete.
My car has '74' in the vin number ref Prefix 6 & 7. Which says its 4 door 4 seat. It has 3 rear head restraints with center arm rest that lifts up and down. So, I guess that's a 5 seat version. So why the error on the VIN number as it has been taken from the outside, through the windscreen area? Also in my VIN I have 'L6' which doesn't show up in the the Prefix 8 area on the list? again more confusing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
All very interesting stuff Pete.
My car has '74' in the vin number ref Prefix 6 & 7. Which says its 4 door 4 seat. It has 3 rear head restraints with center arm rest that lifts up and down. So, I guess that's a 5 seat version. So why the error on the VIN number as it has been taken from the outside, through the windscreen area? Also in my VIN I have 'L6' which doesn't show up in the the Prefix 8 area on the list? again more confusing.
Here's my VIN No and as you can see, ref my comments in my last message, it's not a 100% match. Any help you or anyone else can provide to unpick this confusion would be very welcome, and lessen my torment.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Slope

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Evening,

There is no doubt about it, you have purchased a SWB Super V8, no matter what badges are on the back or type of boot lid you have.

It's what's under the hood that counts 😉

As it stands the badges it does have make it a unicorn in the UK, no idea what you've paid for it but if the seller believed it to be just a Sovereign, it may well have saved you some brass.

Come sale time in years to come, perhaps a rebadge to Super V8 may pay dividends, afterall, you have the engine to back it up.

On another note, the patternation on the walnut veneer, is probably the most exquisite I've ever seen.

I'd have been set on the Daimler Super 8 for its TV's (I have Tom & Jerry DVDs to watch at lunchtimes), its colour and for me IMO smoother lines, BUT

Had I seen the 'Sovereign' at the same time, being aware that no such thing existed in the UK with a blown engine and thus, rarer than the Daimler,

I'd have been wavering, right up till I saw the veneer.

That's where it would have had me.

Rich

PS, If you ever decide to go all Aluminium, first dibs on the wood that comes out.

I'll gladly purchase, smiling and being pleasant as I paid the asking price, whilst all the while mentally questioning your sanity.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Evening,

There is no doubt about it, you have purchased a SWB Super V8, no matter what badges are on the back or type of boot lid you have.

It's what's under the hood that counts 😉

As it stands the badges it does have make it a unicorn in the UK, no idea what you've paid for it but if the seller believed it to be just a Sovereign, it may well have saved you some brass.

Come sale time in years to come, perhaps a rebadge to Super V8 may pay dividends, afterall, you have the engine to back it up.

On another note, the patternation on the walnut veneer, is probably the most exquisite I've ever seen.

I'd have been set on the Daimler Super 8 for its TV's (I have Tom & Jerry DVDs to watch at lunchtimes), its colour and for me IMO smoother lines, BUT

Had I seen the 'Sovereign' at the same time, being aware that no such thing existed in the UK with a blown engine and thus, rarer than the Daimler,

I'd have been wavering, right up till I saw the veneer.

That's where it would have had me.

Rich

PS, If you ever decide to go all Aluminium, first dibs on the wood that comes out.

I'll gladly purchase, smiling and being pleasant as I paid the asking price, whilst all the while mentally questioning your sanity.
Hi there, evening. Thanks for you message and I am very pleased indeed if it is a Super V8. So why would it have the incorrect badges on ?
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Japanese wishes perhaps when marketing/selling in the JDM.

Our American cousins didn't have the top of the range Jag badged as a Super V8, but a VDP (Vanden Plas).

XJ8 in the UK would signify a N/A V8, they came in Sovereign, Sport and SE Specs I believe, either with a 3.6 or 4.2 capacity.

A word of caution would be with Insurance, advise your insurer whatever the DVLA say it is.

To me and I have no doubt, you are soon to be the owner of a Super V8 in all but name and badges.

Rich

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's my VIN No and as you can see, ref my comments in my last message, it's not a 100% match. Any help you or anyone else can provide to unpick this confusion would be very welcome, and lessen my torment.

View attachment 58312
Hi Charlie,
Well done with the graphic. I think the entry for 74 is a misprint, it comes at the end of the list of 5-seat cars, so I'm sure it should be 5-seat too, especially as the 4-seat is below as a 78. It fits with the car too. Attached is the decoder for the check digit. I think I got this from Xclusively Jaguar, so credit to them. The check digit just confirms all the other numbers are correct, like a checksum.
Who knows what the thinking was about the badges, but the usual badges for the X358 were a different style to the X350 ones. The usual scripted Xj badge on the left of the boot has a sort of Asian look to it, so perhaps didn't look 'English' enough, and the 'SUPER V8' for the right (or sometimes left) side is smaller than the previous style that you have.
Anyway it's a good conversation starter, and gives our cars a small point of difference from the UK ones.
The lack of salt on roads in Japan makes them very clean underneath, and I have no real corrosion on mine at all. I'm sure yours is the same.
Regards
Pete

Attachments

61 - 80 of 116 Posts