Jaguar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
XFRS, XKR, XKRS, F Type R, F Type SVR, F Pace SVR, XKR
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Japanese wishes perhaps when marketing/selling in the JDM.

Our American cousins didn't have the top of the range Jag badged as a Super V8, but a VDP (Vanden Plas).

XJ8 in the UK would signify a N/A V8, they came in Sovereign, Sport and SE Specs I believe, either with a 3.6 or 4.2 capacity.

A word of caution would be with Insurance, advise your insurer whatever the DVLA say it is.

To me and I have no doubt, you are soon to be the owner of a Super V8 in all but name and badges.

Rich
Again Ashanti, thanks for your comments and reassurance, much appreciated (y).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hi Charlie,
Well done with the graphic. I think the entry for 74 is a misprint, it comes at the end of the list of 5-seat cars, so I'm sure it should be 5-seat too, especially as the 4-seat is below as a 78. It fits with the car too. Attached is the decoder for the check digit. I think I got this from Xclusively Jaguar, so credit to them. The check digit just confirms all the other numbers are correct, like a checksum.
Who knows what the thinking was about the badges, but the usual badges for the X358 were a different style to the X350 ones. The usual scripted Xj badge on the left of the boot has a sort of Asian look to it, so perhaps didn't look 'English' enough, and the 'SUPER V8' for the right (or sometimes left) side is smaller than the previous style that you have.
Anyway it's a good conversation starter, and gives our cars a small point of difference from the UK ones.
The lack of salt on roads in Japan makes them very clean underneath, and I have no real corrosion on mine at all. I'm sure yours is the same.
Regards
Pete
Hi Pete, thank you so much for your reply, comments and PDF for calculating the "Check Digit".

I did the calculation from the data you provided and my total came to 303/11 = 27.545454. So I rounded up the .54 to 6 and that fits perfect. Is that what you do? round up the remainder, in my case .54 = 6.

The only mystery left to unpick is the Prefix 8, Emissions as my VIN number (L) doesn't have a letter or number that ties in with what's shown as a variant / option under that section?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hi Pete, thank you so much for your reply, comments and PDF for calculating the "Check Digit".

I did the calculation from the data you provided and my total came to 303/11 = 27.545454. So I rounded up the .54 to 6 and that fits perfect. Is that what you do? round up the remainder, in my case .54 = 6.

The only mystery left to unpick is the Prefix 8, Emissions as my VIN number (L) doesn't have a letter or number that ties in with what's shown as a variant / option under that section?
Hi Pete, please see attached for my results. Is this correct? Kind regards Charlie.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
...not forgetting the supercharged XJ8 in Daimler form, which was badged as 'Daimler Super V8'.
Yes indeed.

If you go back to my initial post you can see that I was procrastinating over the Daimler & the XJ but had to make a snap decision :(.

I am collecting the Jaguar tomorrow :), I cannot wait :p. However, although I feel it maybe a Super 8, based on several convincing feedbacks, it may also not be. This is based on a very knowledgeable friend of mine, his comments and both technical and product knowledge etc. etc.

So, I still cannot help but wonder if it is or is not a Super 8. And if it is, then why has it been badged as XJ8 Sovereign. The only conclusion I draw is that for different countries cars are labelled differently to what they are here in the UK. For instance in Canada and the USA they have "Van Den Plas" version. So, possibly in Japan the name "Sovereign" may carry a higher level of Kudos - respect and reflect higher social status than "Super 8". Therefore, perhaps Jaguar or the dealerships in Japan simply put Sovereign badges on the Super V8 model. Who knows? Who cares?

A conundrum for sure, and one that I feel will never be solved 100%.

At the end of the day I love the car, everything about it and I know I made the right choice. But I am a bit 'OCD' on knowing the full details of / on my car.

So, thank you all for your kind comments, assistance etc. etc., very much appreciated (y).

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
You could try a letter to the JDHT. I’m sure they have answered members questions like this before. I seem to recall them providing build numbers on the STR for us.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You could try a letter to the JDHT. I’m sure they have answered members questions like this before. I seem to recall them providing build numbers on the STR for us.
Thanks "MrKis", I have today paid for the Jaguar Heritage Trust to provide a certificate of authenticity, plus the full build sheet and data etc. on this car. So hopefully I'll have that in due course.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Pete, please see attached for my results. Is this correct? Kind regards Charlie.
Hi Charlie,
That looks perfect. Don't worry about the emission spec prefix 8 being 'L', that's the same as mine. I did find somewhere that New Zealand also has 'L' spec. It depends on which list of emission specs you find, and I found a more comprehensive one somewhere. I would guess your build date around October or November 2007, being 2511 cars before mine which was dispatched 20th December 2007. You will find the build sheet (or vehicle enquiry) very interesting, as it lists every option and major component serial numbers as well as trim options.
I'm sure that you will enjoy your car very much and appreciate the level of engineering and craftsmanship that went into it - every time you drive it or look at it.

Pete M

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Hi Charlie,
That looks perfect. Don't worry about the emission spec prefix 8 being 'L', that's the same as mine. I did find somewhere that New Zealand also has 'L' spec. It depends on which list of emission specs you find, and I found a more comprehensive one somewhere. I would guess your build date around October or November 2007, being 2511 cars before mine which was dispatched 20th December 2007. You will find the build sheet (or vehicle enquiry) very interesting, as it lists every option and major component serial numbers as well as trim options.
I'm sure that you will enjoy your car very much and appreciate the level of engineering and craftsmanship that went into it - every time you drive it or look at it.

Pete M
Thanks Pete, I am actually looking forward to a 260 ish mile journey back home from London tomorrow getting to bond with car, understanding it and of course enjoying every moment of driving it 😎. Not sure in the future I’ll have the same level of excitement and anticipation picking up an EV.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thanks Pete, I am actually looking forward to a 260 ish mile journey back home from London tomorrow getting to bond with car, understanding it and of course enjoying every moment of driving it 😎. Not sure in the future I’ll have the same level of excitement and anticipation picking up an EV.
Dear all, well I drove back from London yesterday in my XJ Super 8 / Sovereign / Executive / SE / L ??? whatever it is, and oh my :love:. Totally gorgeous, so smooth and very, very quiet, double glazed / laminated windows cool :cool:. It was only when I opened the drivers window did I realize how noisy and windy it was out side. Amazing, lovely car, lovely ride, got some nods of approval and loads of looks and flashed headlights from a Lady XJ X358 driver. Pity it was only the headlights she flashed :eek:.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Good to hear the drive home went well and you're happy with the 'whatever it is' :ROFLMAO:

got some nods of approval and loads of looks and flashed headlights from a Lady XJ X358 driver. Pity it was only the headlights she flashed :eek:.
Did you flash her back? :eek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: CharlieSVR

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
LOL, yes I did :p ;)
I’ve just been out to the car to check the miles I travelled yesterday from London back to my house, it was 267 but amazed that it achieved 29.1 Mpg.
Ok around 200 ish was motorway and my speed probably avaraged around 70 to 80 mph.

Speedometer Plant Odometer Car Tachometer

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I’ve just been out to the car to check the miles I travelled yesterday from London back to my house, it was 267 but amazed that it achieved 29.1 Mpg.
Ok around 200 ish was motorway and my speed probably avaraged around 70 to 80 mph.

View attachment 58429
Just finished polishing the interior wood trim, it’s come up beautifully 😀.

Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2003 XJ Super V8
60 Posts
Really nice mate! I wish my Super V8 had the picnic tables in the back and the cooled seats.

My interior is the same apart from that, so does anyone know the exact name of the colour of the seats? My driver's seat bolster needs touching up.

Worth getting underneath waxoyled or equivilant before Mr Salty gets to it. It's only pristine and rust free once... my bint just bought a Jap import mk1 MX5 (Eunos Roadster) and it was obviously treated on import and it's helped a lot with slowing down the rust. My last one was also a Jap import and was much much cleaner than UK spec ones. Another note, hers is registered as an MX5 but NO JDM Mk1 was an MX5, all Eunos Roadsters. Whoever imports them is responsible for that and quite often is a numpty who has no idea... so bear that in mind for whatever suprise you get on the loggy. I assume the clock faces have been changed and a radio converter in place for the bandwidth?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Really nice mate! I wish my Super V8 had the picnic tables in the back and the cooled seats.

My interior is the same apart from that, so does anyone know the exact name of the colour of the seats? My driver's seat bolster needs touching up.

Worth getting underneath waxoyled or equivilant before Mr Salty gets to it. It's only pristine and rust free once... my bint just bought a Jap import mk1 MX5 (Eunos Roadster) and it was obviously treated on import and it's helped a lot with slowing down the rust. My last one was also a Jap import and was much much cleaner than UK spec ones. Another note, hers is registered as an MX5 but NO JDM Mk1 was an MX5, all Eunos Roadsters. Whoever imports them is responsible for that and quite often is a numpty who has no idea... so bear that in mind for whatever suprise you get on the loggy. I assume the clock faces have been changed and a radio converter in place for the bandwidth?
Thanks Space Monkey 🚀🐒. I believe it is Champagne & Mocha.

Yes, speedo clock face has been replaced, all 3 Dials now show SuperCharged, cool 😎. Radio 📡 is fine and sat nav has UK & Europe maps.

Speedometer Plant Odometer Car Tachometer

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Thanks Space Monkey 🚀🐒. I believe it is Champagne & Mocha.

Yes, speedo clock face has been replaced, all 3 Dials now show SuperCharged, cool 😎. Radio 📡 is fine and sat nav has UK & Europe maps.

View attachment 58552
I really don’t know how correct or accurate this is but after countless research, on line reading of different trim levels, models, the differing specifications and hours upon hours of comparisons etc. I am now 99% sure that my car is a Super 8. However, as it is a Japanese import, think they badge them as Sovereign for the Japanese market, my car wears the Sovereign badge.

I am not sure if I should change the badge or not, as the current badging of “Sovereign”, to me anyway, portrays a higher spec level / class than ‘the wording Super 8’. I’m certainly no snob but until I am 101% sure I’ll leave it as is.

Question. Was the super 8 only available as a SuperCharged version ?

Members might find the below interesting.

Font Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant Rectangle

81 - 100 of 146 Posts