Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I went round a right hand corner the other day and it sounded like I had a loose wheel.
The nuts are all tight so I guess it must be a driveshaft. It seems to sound like the nearside front wheel. It's a front wheel drive.
Spooky thing is they changed the offside front spring last week so I thought they may have left the nut loose but it seems OK.
It only happens on right hand corners.
Any help and suggestions for decent driveshaft would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mudlark.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hi, If it was a drive shaft it would give vibration under acceleration irrespective of where you were steering. Could be the N/S wheel bearing though.

Roger

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roger. I checked the wheels for rocking and I checked the driveshafts for lift and both seem okay.
On right hand corners it goes donk donk donk just like the wheel is loose. I'm sure I felt the car rock to the left the first time it happened.
The trouble is the thing is so low to the ground you can't get her up on ramps !!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Still sounds like N/S Wheel bearing to me.

Roger

·
Registered
921 Posts
my money is on the driveshaft, (CV Joint to be precise)
let us know what you find.

When i fitetd a driveshaft, i bought a cheap one off ebay for about £30. No way did i think it owuld be any good. 50,000 miles later its still ok for now!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bloders. There's a place called JW or something that are about that price.
Euro want about £240 exchange !!!!What a difference.
Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi I'm back again.
I jacked up the front N/S wheel and gripped the driveshaft and turned the wheel back and forth.
There is about 1"movement of the wheel before it picks up the driveshaft.
There was no lift on the wheel bearing and no lock to lock play. I am thinking it can only be the driveshaft.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I had a worn shaft, it grumbled a bit.

Once replaced the bearing went, then the bearing the other side went so I had them changed and the other shaft while they were at it.

Seems alright now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that. How cheery.
Apart from those four things everything's fine.....
I think I'll just get another car !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Didn't mean to sound gloomy. More that the cars are worth it.

Mine had done about 150k at the time. I Plan on keeping mine for another 150K so was generous, and it did hurt.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Could be they fitted the spring upside down. Or if the old spring was broken right at the bottom they may have left part of a broken coil in its seating. If you just noticed the problem after a spring change then I would guess the issue is with the spring-probably due to an incorrect fitting procedure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi. The new spring is on the off side and the noise is on the left.
It was a proper garage that did the job. I may take it round to them and tell them what has happened and they can check that.
Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi bloders, I had a new driveshaft fitted [£32 J&R] All quiet now.
Quieter on motorway now so that must have been slowly getting worse
as I didn't notice it.
Thanks for help, you were right !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Think calmly

No! My driveshaft vibrated a lot at 60-80 mph. Got a new one from Eurocarparts for about 100 puonds and fitted for fifty. Goes like new again and for little money.

Dean
Spain

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
No! My driveshaft vibrated a lot at 60-80 mph. Got a new one from Eurocarparts for about 100 puonds and fitted for fifty. Goes like new again and for little money.
Check mudlark's latest posts directly above yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.