Jaguar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I have 6 ECM codes. P303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected, P1313 Misfire rate catalyst damage (Bank 1), P158 Flight Recorder data is stored, and the other two don't make sense. B1313 Interior lamp output, and B1316 Boot trunk latch power close unit (which this car doesn't have). Fuel rail pressure is 55.26, scanner says range should be 435-1160. I didn't think this car has a jet pump on it, to generate the high fuel pressure. Looks like a normal FI setup. Just so I'm clear, the cylinders go 1-3 front to back on the right side, and 4-6 front to back on the left side, correct?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Just so I'm clear, the cylinders go 1-3 front to back on the right side, and 4-6 front to back on the left side, correct?
Sitting in the car, the right is 1 (front) till 3 (rear) Left is 4 (front) to 6 (rear)

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Ok, so I got that right at least.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
What's not correct? For the older model its correct.

But your right, for the later model it's not correct.

Strange that Jaguar and certain Ford v6 duratec's in the Taurus and F150 had the firring order/cylinder numbering chanced and as of 2010 they changed it back to the old firring order/cylinder numbering. It can get confusing.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What's not correct? For the older model its correct.

But your right, for the later model it's not correct.
That's why I said
"That's not correct for a 2003 model".
According to the thread title, the OP's car is an 03, and therefore would use the latter cylinder numbering as per the page from the manual.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
That's why I said
"That's not correct for a 2003 model".
According to the thread title, the OP's car is an 03, and therefore would use the latter cylinder numbering as per the page from the manual.
I don't know if i can change the title, but he told me it was an 03. Build date is 11-03, so it's actually an 04 model. At least I can get to the coil for your firing order.

Reactions: orsom weels

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes, you are quite correct, the firing order works out just the same, ie right front, left front, right middle, left middle, right rear, left rear, just the numbers changed 🙂

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
ImBroke: If it hasn't been mentioned, or you haven't seen it elsewhere on the forum, please don't use no-name, cheapo coil-packs from eBay, Ali Express, etc.

OE manufacturer units from NGK, Delphi (my favorite), Bosch, etc. will save you much grief in getting your S-type sorted...

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Here's where we are at currently. #3 still says misfire. I can hear the injector clicking, sounds like the others. I'm using a stethoscope for this test. I remove the coil and plug, lay them on the engine, and with it running I can see the plug sparking. Gap is set to .050. Compression is 177. Fuel pressure is 55. I'm sort of lost at this point. Swapping coils does nothing. Not sure how much more effort I'm going to put into it. Hoping to sell it as is right now, it's so frustrating, and it's not like I don't have things to work on here.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
"Misfire" in OBD-speak means that cylinder in generating less energy at the firing impulse than its other five counterparts. If swapping the coils around does not result in the fault moving and the compression is good, then "clicking" may not be enough to indicate a good injector. You might want to track down a good used injector and swap it in... My $0.02 worth, anyway.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
sorry, I forgot to mention injectors have been swapped as well, from left side to right side. Same symptoms.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Compression is good and you swapped the sparkplugs, coils and injectors to the other bank but cyl 3 keeps misfiring = vacuum leak somewhere.

Reactions: S-Type Owner

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I didn't replace them, could be an issue. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere along the manifold, no changes. Might be time to order the new gaskets.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
You have to replace them. They are a use only one the item.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've re-used them a few times (when replacements weren't to hand and I've had to remove the manifold unexpectedly) with no issues, but I did double check their condition to make sure they were still ok for further service. If they are going to leak, they'll be more likely to do so at idle when the throttle butterfly is closed and manifold vacuum is highest. If spraying carb cleaner all round didn't make any difference to the idle speed, there's a good chance they are not leaking.

Can we just recap to confirm which cylinder is misfiring, and to what extent?
In post #58 you mention cylinder number 2 is the only one that doesn't sound any different if you unplug the coil, which would be number 3 with the later numbering system. ignoring numbers, this would be middle cylinder, right hand bank, yes?
If unplugging the coil makes no difference at all, then that cylinder is not firing at all?. If you have a good spark, fuel and compression, it should at least do something. As has been mentioned, if you have all the aforementioned spark, fuel and compression, the only things left are a massive vacuum leak, which should be fairly easy to find, and almost certainly effect other cylinders as well, or possibly a blockage in the inlet tract preventing air and/or fuel reaching that cylinder, or in the fuel supply to that injector. Are you sure the injector is actually delivering fuel? One thing I would mention, just because you have a spark with the coil/plug laying on top of the engine, doesn't always mean it's sparking when under compression in the cylinder, but swapping with another cylinder should have ruled that out.

Regards,
OW

81 - 100 of 124 Posts