Jaguar Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Can we just recap to confirm which cylinder is misfiring, and to what extent?
In post #58 you mention cylinder number 2 is the only one that doesn't sound any different if you unplug the coil, which would be number 3 with the later numbering system. ignoring numbers, this would be middle cylinder, right hand bank, yes?
Regards,
OW
What I thought was #2, is actually #3. I was using the old numbering system, not the correct one. So, in fact #3 has been misfiring the whole time. My scanner called #3 coil bad, so it's been replaced or swapped multiple times. Coils and injectors have all been moved around to no avail. I have not changed spark plugs, nor have I inspected the upper intake for a blockage. The second one, I seriously doubt has an issue.
Since the person that messaged me about buying it has ghosted me, it looks like I may be putting some more money and time into the car. I didn't want to spend too much of either if I was going to sell it quickly.
Thanks again everyone, I hate getting my arse kicked by an inanimate object.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
My trans fluid is looking pretty sad, so I was going to change that as well. Wow, what a surprise there. Was not expecting that kind of price for the filter. Looks like the pan and filter get replaced together? Crazy.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Yes the proper ZF kit is:
A new pan (built in filter).
Mechatronics sleave.
7l of lifeguard 6 fluid.
New bolts.

The gearboxes are picky about fluid, don't skimp on these parts.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I think this should be everything except the fluid.
Automotive lighting White Gadget Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have not changed spark plugs, nor have I inspected the upper intake for a blockage. The second one, I seriously doubt has an issue.
I would change the spark plugs just to rule them out.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I've been thinking about that. They are NGK, what are the recommended plugs?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would definitely either change them, or at least swap the plug positions about. NGK will be fine, don't think I've used anything else in any of my S types.
Reading back through,
Still have the cyl #3 misfire detected. I'm thinking I might be reading too much into this. Tested the coil and spark plug, they are doing what they should. Tested injector, it's clicking. Tested signal to injector, and it's changing like it's supposed to. If I rev it slowly, it seems smooth. If I stab the throttle, it misses badly. When my Stealth did this, the fuel pressure was too low. This is reading about 55 psi, which my scanner says is way too low. I'm going to get in that Jag book and try to figure out what it's supposed to be.
I'm thinking these checks were made on what you then thought was number 3, have you done the same injector signal test on the correct cylinder?

Regards,
OW

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm thinking these checks were made on what you then thought was number 3, have you done the same injector signal test on the correct cylinder?

Coils and injectors have all been moved around to no avail. I have not changed spark plugs,
imBroke already swapped the coils and injectors. If the fault was a coil or injector, it would have moved to another cylinder.

Keep in mind that a scanner doesn't test the secondary circuit of a coil or spark plug. Thats the reason why you need to replace them with a miss fire.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
imBroke already swapped the coils and injectors. If the fault was a coil or injector, it would have moved to another cylinder.

Keep in mind that a scanner doesn't test the secondary circuit of a coil or spark plug. Thats the reason why you need to replace them with a miss fire.
Yes, but no mention of testing the signals to the injector on any other cylinder, only what he thought was number 3, hence I highlighted
"Tested signal to injector, and it's changing like it's supposed to. " :)

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I did not think so, but I used that injector as the comparison signal, so actually I did. But, I have more serious issues to deal with right now, that don't involve cars. Thanks again everyone, but I'm going to be out for about a week.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm back, changed the plug for #3. No change. I'm tapping out. I just need to get the title and kick this one down the road. With 16 cars, I have tons of work, and have two long term projects already. You guys have been a great help, I appreciate you all.

Reactions: PetA

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
You gave it fair shot. must be a wiring issue in the injector loom. Either way it isn't a problem that we usually see, the drivetrains are normally very reliable.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Don't believe this. Went outside to get the mileage for the title, and it runs perfectly. No missing at all. Just took it down the road, and 70mph no problems. I swear... Now if I can figure out how to set the clock.

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Got clock set. No codes on dash. Happy at this moment.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Don't believe this. Went outside to get the mileage for the title, and it runs perfectly. No missing at all. Just took it down the road, and 70mph no problems.
It may or may not come back. Just drive it.

Reactions: S-Type Owner

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
It definitely may come back. maybe a little dirt in the injector that got dislodged? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
maybe a little dirt in the injector that got dislodged? Who knows.
Could be. Just drive it around true the neighborhood for a while and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Could the cylinder have been flooded with fuel which had to evaporate off before the new plug could work properly?

Whatever, it's good news and let's hope it keeps running on all 6 :)

·
Registered
04 Type S
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Took it for another drive, and once again runs perfectly. I did have another thought when I woke up. It had been sitting for three years, and I just put 8 gallons of fresh petrol in it. I wonder if it was really bad fuel causing the issue.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts