Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title Say's it all really.

I weirdly love the Rover 800 Fastback, if i didn't have the Jag there would be a nice 800 in her place :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I had 2.7 Honda engined saloon on a D plate in metallic blue , it was a lovely car for sure.

It did have a few electrical gremlins , randomly opening electric windows and the electric sunroof as it felt like doing so !

The one behind the fastback is more like it , assuming it is an V8 SD1 , I spent a bit of time on one many years ago.

I have generally stuck with Ford stable over the years , 2.9 24v Cosworth Scorpio would be a fair rival for the XJ , loved mine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It would be a Nissan for me. My old Z31 300zx went like a rocket and was absolutely bombproof! I'd still own a twin turbo z32 and maybe modify it to some silly bhp, or i do have to say the 370z is also appealing. The 350z seems like a bargain too at current autotrader prices. Thing is though....it ain't a Jaaaaagggg!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Title Say's it all really.

I weirdly love the Rover 800 Fastback, if i didn't have the Jag there would be a nice 800 in her place :)

I had two of those, an 827 vitesse and 827 sterling both fastbacks. Loved them.

Roger

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend of mine had a yellow estate , I think it was a T5R and was a bit of a FWD tyre shredder from memory !
Gul Yellow was very rare!

fwd is fun with 200+ hp :-D

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had two of those, an 827 vitesse and 827 sterling both fastbacks. Loved them.

Roger
They are lovely cars, you can still pick them up for silly money!

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
266 Posts
My brother had an 820 Vitesse, 2.0 Turbo. It was a lovely car, extremely roomy and comfortable, and to be fair it was pretty quick too, but it ate head gaskets for fun!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
My brother had an 820 Vitesse, 2.0 Turbo. It was a lovely car, extremely roomy and comfortable, and to be fair it was pretty quick too, but it ate head gaskets for fun!
Yes unfortunately the 820 was a Rover engine plagued by head gaskets where the 827 was a Honda V6 and the engine would outlast the body if looked after.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The same thing I drive most of the time, Land Rover Discovery. Have had both V8i and 300Tdi versions and all of them I prefer to the X-Type.

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
It would be a Nissan for me. My old Z31 300zx went like a rocket and was absolutely bombproof! I'd still own a twin turbo z32 and maybe modify it to some silly bhp, or i do have to say the 370z is also appealing. The 350z seems like a bargain too at current autotrader prices. Thing is though....it ain't a Jaaaaagggg!
I have looked at these then looked at these some more :-D My only criticisms is like the F Type they are a bit compromised for space
and the complete lack of image associated with the Brand . " Here comes Red in his Nissan " ?????

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Yes unfortunately the 820 was a Rover engine plagued by head gaskets where the 827 was a Honda V6 and the engine would outlast the body if looked after.

Roger.
The 820 engine was a stretched Maxi engine with a twin cam head... Clear as day when you pulled one apart.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Bog Hopper GT would have been my alternate choice. Would have to be British, it's who I am. Although I have to admit, I had a "thing" for Volvo 760's at one bit, especially the 760 Turbo. Never ever got it truly flat out, never found a road long enough. But it would wind off the clock... As would the 360 GLEi that I had for a few years back in the 80's.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
As the O/P likes Rovers, here's one I used to own.
Race cam, headers, twin exhaust and a few body mods if you look closely.
It was painted in Jaguar metallic red too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 820 engine was a stretched Maxi engine with a twin cam head... Clear as day when you pulled one apart.
The B-series (MGB, Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford etc) begat the M-Series which begat the O Series which begat the T Series as fitted to the later 800s.
The block castings are identical. Take a T-Series and a B-Series, swap sumps, flywheels and engine mounts and it will bolt straight into your MGB, Morris Oxford or Morris Marine/Ital. Same as dropping a fuel injected 4.2 XK engine from a Series III XJ into an XK120. A turbo T-Series in an MGB or Morris Oxford is a hoot.

I got my first Rover as a manual Mk 1b 827 in 1989. My youngest son has just sold the last in the family - a Mk2c 820 - 2 months ago, so just short of 30 years of Rover 800s.

Handy size, comfy, cheap. I preferred saloons, offspring preferred hatchbacks. Back in the day a manual 827 was seriously quick and in character resembled a MkII Jaguar. Although many couldn't tell one apart from a Montego - until you opened her up. Something I always called a 'Q-Car', but offspring call 'sleepers'?

Got my first Jaguar in 1977 though!

Youngest replaced his with a Lexus LS430. He is too tall for an X308, and the road tax and insurance on an X358 is too much for him.
Eldest has an X308. Middle son's X308 Daimler SV8 is in my garage as we speak and he has just acquired a X150 XKR.

I would probably opt for a Lexus too, if we weren't all wedded to Jaguars!

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I would 'splash the cash' and buy a restored one of these:-

I ran one for many years,toured Europe with a young family a number of times, it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. German Ford V4 engine.

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
I would 'splash the cash' and buy a restored one of these:-

I ran one for many years,toured Europe with a young family a number of times, it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. German Ford V4 engine.
I can remember as a young lad of around 10 years of age , one of these a saloon version in red
being parked in our street . It was owned by the Provident Man who would go from door to door
collecting his dues . It was probably the only one I ever saw whilst growing up .

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
My father had two of those Vic. Very innovative for their day with the free wheel system.:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
The cars being compared to Jaguars make me think people believe Jaguars to also be cars of the past.

When I bought the S-Type, I would have considered the Lexus GS300 as something a little different or an Alfa 166. Can't think of what else was about then that was not boring. The XKR was great value used and attractive to boot but I actually started looking for a Maserati 4200. Even though I like Jaguars, I'm not really brand-loyal or brand-fixated. I don't care if I have to say I drive a FIAT. I buy the product I like the best so I can't really say that I would replace Jaguar with another brand.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.