Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had issues with hot starting, and was advised to have the ecu updated. The egr was already blanked off, and the garage said I should remove the blanking plate, clean the egr and manifold before doing it, which I did.
Whilst the starting improved, it didn't solve it, because after a few months the problem returned.
Another garage now says I should put the blanking plate back in. My ignorance is that I don't really understand why this might improve the situation
A supplementary ignorant area is would there be any benefit of cleaning the egr valve again while I'm at it?
cheers

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've had issues with hot starting, and was advised to have the ecu updated. The egr was already blanked off, and the garage said I should remove the blanking plate, clean the egr and manifold before doing it, which I did.
Whilst the starting improved, it didn't solve it, because after a few months the problem returned.
Another garage now says I should put the blanking plate back in. My ignorance is that I don't really understand why this might improve the situation
A supplementary ignorant area is would there be any benefit of cleaning the egr valve again while I'm at it?
cheers
from my experience a bad EGR causes cold start problems not hot start problems. try unplugging the egr, and see if it'll hot start.

if it makes no difference, try the same with the MAF,

·
Registered
493 Posts
See if there is a member near you with the mongoose/sdd who can do the software update, for the hot start stumble

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
have you done a leak off test on the injectors?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It's all up to date with the newest jag software, is this different? Thanks
No, if its on the latest its on the latest.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
So that means that the egr valve would be fully open all the time? I'll experiment!
if you unplug the egr, then it'll be closed!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The latest update:
It's got the latest ems software.
Ive got the temperature up by replacing the oil filter thermostat.
I've blanked off the egr.

No real improvement in hot starting!

But logic tells me the problem is almost certainly that the cylinder internals are gummed up. That didnt happen overnight, so it wont go away overnight either. So in went a bottle of Wynns into the fuel, and after only 50 miles, its far better!!
Fingers crossed, its not a false dawn.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The latest update:
It's got the latest ems software.
Ive got the temperature up by replacing the oil filter thermostat.
I've blanked off the egr.

No real improvement in hot starting!

But logic tells me the problem is almost certainly that the cylinder internals are gummed up. That didnt happen overnight, so it wont go away overnight either. So in went a bottle of Wynns into the fuel, and after only 50 miles, its far better!!
Fingers crossed, its not a false dawn.
have you tried starting it with the MAF unplugged?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'll certainly keep that up my sleeve, and try it next. What do you hope it will change?
i reckon it'll start hot no problems with it unplugged, because it defaults to a neutral map. If it does you can replace the MAF and it should fix the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.