Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have abit of an issue recently reared it's head on the car the infotainment system cuts out and restarts whenever it sees fit and when it does go off there's an audible click like a short circuit or something, it also sometimes restarts and goes straight off again and then it will mysteriously come back on a it nothing is wrong with it and the fuel gauge only reads up to ⅓ full even though I put 50L in it on Saturday with 38miles range remaining so it should have given me at least ¾ of a tank.

I know of issues with water ingress on these but I don't know where to start my search.

I have connected my lr2 to it tonight and it did say fuel sender issue so guessing that would be the case for the fuel gauge but the infotainment system is a minefield to me and doesn't come up with any codes other than for the phone connection jobby so yeah....HELP please

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have abit of an issue recently reared it's head on the car the infotainment system cuts out and restarts whenever it sees fit and when it does go off there's an audible click like a short circuit or something, it also sometimes restarts and goes straight off again and then it will mysteriously come back on a it nothing is wrong with it and the fuel gauge only reads up to ⅓ full even though I put 50L in it on Saturday with 38miles range remaining so it should have given me at least ¾ of a tank.

I know of issues with water ingress on these but I don't know where to start my search.

I have connected my lr2 to it tonight and it did say fuel sender issue so guessing that would be the case for the fuel gauge but the infotainment system is a minefield to me and doesn't come up with any codes other than for the phone connection jobby so yeah....HELP please
I have the XF-S 3.0ltr diesel 2010.5 model year and when my fuel guage became fixed in almost one position despite how much fuel was added the fault was caused by the connector that goes onto the pump assembly. I noticed that the pins on the connector afixed to the pump unit were slightly oxidised. A slight blue appearance. This altered the resistance of the circuit with the sensors that are in the tank and caused the reading to be wrong, so wrong that the correct operation of the sensors was not registered. I will look up which pins are the sensor pins to each of the sensors and post later although I think they are the outer pairs with centre pair being the pump power lines.

Roger. (Dos)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello Northeastxf3.0v6D.
I've looked at the photo I took when I had my fuel gauge problem similar to yours. The fuel level sensors are connected to the cable via the OUTER pair of wires at each end of the connector that is the connection to the tank unit. The centre - heavier - pair power the pump.

Roger.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Northeastxf3.0v6D.
I've looked at the photo I took when I had my fuel gauge problem similar to yours. The fuel level sensors are connected to the cable via the OUTER pair of wires at each end of the connector that is the connection to the tank unit. The centre - heavier - pair power the pump.

Roger.
Thanks for that info Roger, I've had my lr2 on it and cleared all codes there weren't many the infotainment system seems to have started behaving itself seemingly overnight after that so that's all good, how easy or otherwise is the connector to get to as being on a driveway and at this time of year I really cba crawling around on the floor.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Infotainment rebooting is often the bluetooth module going bad for some reason.
Afaik, on most cars the tank connections are behind the big black gromet under the rear seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for that info Roger, I've had my lr2 on it and cleared all codes there weren't many the infotainment system seems to have started behaving itself seemingly overnight after that so that's all good, how easy or otherwise is the connector to get to as being on a driveway and at this time of year I really cba crawling around on the floor.
Good morning to you.
The part you need to inspect can be checked from inside the car. It is under the rear seat by the rear driver side door. You can remove the rear seat or somehow hold it up by the rear parcel shelf to access the fuel tank. I took mine out. To do this it is necessary to undo the centre rear seat belt at the base of the belt where it goes into the hole in the seat cushion. There is a small aperture in this bit into which you will need to insert a prod to unclip the belt, BEWARE the belt will FLY up to the seat top so hold on to both bits or have a helper. It is necessary to remove the rear kick plate and roll back the carpet under which you will see a round disc about 8" diam. Under here is the top of the fuel tank pump unit with the connector that tends to oxidize. I too had to attept mine whilst the car was outside but still drove around with seat out and just closed up the car when necessary.
Look CLOSELY, on mine the tarnish was very difficult to notice on the pins, but it cleared the problem.

Roger.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Infotainment rebooting is often the bluetooth module going bad for some reason.
Afaik, on most cars the tank connections are behind the big black gromet under the rear seat.
I thought that about the Bluetooth module as that was what the lr2 flashed up with and I can't connect my phone to the car anymore so that will need replacing at some point.
As for the fuel sender connection I'll have a look at tackling it over the weekend

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So just an update on progress I filled up yesterday and it went straight to full as it should have so guessing its not throwing a hiss fit with the fuel sender just yet but the Bluetooth is still not working so guessing the module has decided to go west and will need replacing

·
Registered
68 Posts
So just an update on progress I filled up yesterday and it went straight to full as it should have so guessing its not throwing a hiss fit with the fuel sender just yet but the Bluetooth is still not working so guessing the module has decided to go west and will need replacing
Did you need to do any work on the fuel tank plug or did it just spring back to life of its own accord?
Can't help with the bluetooth though, it's all beyound me.
Roger.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you need to do any work on the fuel tank plug or did it just spring back to life of its own accord?
Can't help with the bluetooth though, it's all beyound me.
Roger.
I didn't get a chance to have a look at it, it just seemed to spring back to normal of its own accord which means it probably isn't the last time it is going to happen.
One thing I have definitely noticed is my fuel economy is just getting worse and worse with each tank refill. When I first got the car in Feb it would easily attain 50+mpg without any problems and I wouldn't need to try to get those figures now im seeing 29-31mpg most of the time and I'm really having to watch how I drive it to attain those figures.
I know I have done 6k miles since its last oil and filter change, could that be the problem? Is it in need of a change asap or not?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didn't get a chance to have a look at it, it just seemed to spring back to normal of its own accord which means it probably isn't the last time it is going to happen.
One thing I have definitely noticed is my fuel economy is just getting worse and worse with each tank refill. When I first got the car in Feb it would easily attain 50+mpg without any problems and I wouldn't need to try to get those figures now im seeing 29-31mpg most of the time and I'm really having to watch how I drive it to attain those figures.
I know I have done 6k miles since its last oil and filter change, could that be the problem? Is it in need of a change asap or not?
50+ no problem, lucky you. I had my 3.0.ltr v6 D from new and asked the dealer why I got nowhere near the published figures for mpg. He told me no one did; my wife and I would test the consumption on motorway runs using the computer readout and very careful speed control. Now I am doing the same run daily, 30 mph limited roads, traffic lights, cyclists and scooters galore, 29-31 just like you.
I'm pleased you did not have to dismantle anything to be back with a working gauge though. I guess the only thing to do is to note the fuel used and miles travelled to get a better value for the mpg figure.
I've never noticed any improvement in mpg relative to a recent service, over 12 years of ownership. Your problem is food for thought since you have had a malfunctioning gauge.

Roger.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The Bluetooth module is an easy job, it's under the passenger seat. I had the same problem with mine, got one off that auction site with the same part number swapped them over and Bobs your uncle 👍

Reactions: Northeastxf3.0v6D

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
50+ no problem, lucky you. I had my 3.0.ltr v6 D from new and asked the dealer why I got nowhere near the published figures for mpg. He told me no one did; my wife and I would test the consumption on motorway runs using the computer readout and very careful speed control. Now I am doing the same run daily, 30 mph limited roads, traffic lights, cyclists and scooters galore, 29-31 just like you.
I'm pleased you did not have to dismantle anything to be back with a working gauge though. I guess the only thing to do is to note the fuel used and miles travelled to get a better value for the mpg figure.
I've never noticed any improvement in mpg relative to a recent service, over 12 years of ownership. Your problem is food for thought since you have had a malfunctioning gauge.

Roger.
The fuel consumption issue has been since the fuel prices went sky high before that the fuel consumption was good but it just seems to be slowly getting worse and I'm just wondering if changing all the filters might well cure it but probably won't.
It struggles with 42mpg on a long run but I used to get 55+ on a run.
Maybe it needs calibration or something 🤔?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Not sure how you get 55 - I have managed to get mine to read that, but it requires a reset in a 50mph zone. Real world - not a chance.
I tend to find, the 5 mile trip to the motorway it'll do maybe mid 30's (teens if it's stop-start traffic), then creep up to mid to high 40's on a 70+. mile run, only to fall back to low 40's with a bit of stop-start at the end.
It's a heavy car so setting off and getting up to speed will always drink fuel. Once cruising in top however, it's not going to take much to keep it up there.
29-31 in general cruising about is fair enough. I can easily get that around town if traffic is light and the lights are in my favour. Running at a steady 70 however is very low and suggests a problem, such as continuous DPF regen, in which case, you may also have oil contamination.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure how you get 55 - I have managed to get mine to read that, but it requires a reset in a 50mph zone. Real world - not a chance.
I tend to find, the 5 mile trip to the motorway it'll do maybe mid 30's (teens if it's stop-start traffic), then creep up to mid to high 40's on a 70+. mile run, only to fall back to low 40's with a bit of stop-start at the end.
It's a heavy car so setting off and getting up to speed will always drink fuel. Once cruising in top however, it's not going to take much to keep it up there.
29-31 in general cruising about is fair enough. I can easily get that around town if traffic is light and the lights are in my favour. Running at a steady 70 however is very low and suggests a problem, such as continuous DPF regen, in which case, you may also have oil contamination.
Even with a trip reset on the mway it still struggle to top 40mpg I am sure the grade of the fuel has been affected by the manufacturers to get such a marked drop in consumption.
I was using the car one very short runs a while ago I.e 1 mile to work and 1 home again that was for maybe 2 months when I first got the car.
I'd be inclined to agree with you about the oil contamination, might be well worth replacing the oil and filter with new to rule it out.
I haven't seen anything on the dash about dpf regens though how would I know when it's happening?
My new daily commute is just shy of 15 miles with mix of dual carriageway and 30/40mph zones

·
Registered
68 Posts
Even with a trip reset on the mway it still struggle to top 40mpg I am sure the grade of the fuel has been affected by the manufacturers to get such a marked drop in consumption.
I was using the car one very short runs a while ago I.e 1 mile to work and 1 home again that was for maybe 2 months when I first got the car.
I'd be inclined to agree with you about the oil contamination, might be well worth replacing the oil and filter with new to rule it out.
I haven't seen anything on the dash about dpf regens though how would I know when it's happening?
My new daily commute is just shy of 15 miles with mix of dual carriageway and 30/40mph zones
Hi again. A cold start each journey and the mix of traffic you endure is quite likely to give the consumption you are getting, as jberks said, into the teens to begin with.
Now, your fuel gauge started working without you having found a reason and it changed little during some of your recent motoring so assumed you were not using much fuel for the distance travelled, hence a GOOD mpg figure. The tank contents figure is sent to the RJB and sampled each 131ms then to the instrument panel by CAN after allowing for battery voltage changes. The distance is calculated from the wheel speed outputs from the abs sensors on the wheels.
I don't wish to add to the possibilites of causes but the RJB is sometimes mentioned in posts as giving concern. I can't help with CAN, Robert Bosch has me stumped.
Roger.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I've just completed 175 miles from Dorset back to Cambridgeshire, all on dual carriageway and motorways and, remarkably, no traffic hold ups, average speed of 60mph. The best I got was 58.6mpg. Couldn't quite get to the magic 60mpg but happy with that.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've just completed 175 miles from Dorset back to Cambridgeshire, all on dual carriageway and motorways and, remarkably, no traffic hold ups, average speed of 60mph. The best I got was 58.6mpg. Couldn't quite get to the magic 60mpg but happy with that.
So today we went from Sunderland to whitby and back which is 63 miles each way and most I saw was 40mpg

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd love to see 40MPG as an average from my car, even if it was from the 'bullsh1tometer' in the car...

Reactions: Northeastxf3.0v6D
1 - 20 of 24 Posts