Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit - my car is coming up as a XK8 on autotrader using my registration, if i manually change it to XKR it is actually more realistic £10780

Just over a month ago i reversed into a wall, it caused what looks like small damage to my drivers rear corner. The Jag garage quoted £4920 as the rear wing needs replacing and a lot of work is required, i then sent this estimate to my insurance company. They have refused to agree to the repairs, they are saying my car is only valued at £7300. The repairs are too expensive and this means my car is beyond economical repair ie over 60%. I complained like hell but the claim handler wont let me talk to the engineers or management to dispute this over the phone. I was told to email them with proof of service history and raise a valuation dispute. I have done what they asked, i also told them the cheapest 2004 xkr coupe on autotrader is £13000 but they claim they are only going by the guides like glasses guide etc.

My car has £104k miles, its in mint condition inside and out. Its a 2004 xkr coupe which i paid a decent price for 1 year ago £10,750 and from what i know these cars have not depreciated at all. You cant find a car like mine for anywhere near £7300 on ebay or autotrader. They claim they are following the guides which they are legally bound by apparently.

I done a quick valuation on autotrader, my car is worth £7800 for buying. Can anyone check on glasses guide. Why are these valuations so bad for my car. The insurance company might stick to the £7300 guide price as that suits them.

Bizarrely i was told they could give me £4700 to go and get the car repaired privately at any garage i want, for some reason the engineers cant pay the £4920 repair cost but they can offer me £200 less to go and get it fixed by myself. Im raging i just want my car fixed, luckily i can still drive around in it.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I think I would take the £4700 and then find somewhere cheaper to get it fixed...

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Well, without knowing the extent of the damage I'm only guessing, but that sounds like an inordinately expensive quote. And I'm not suggesting scrimping, there are plenty of good independents who will do as good a job as a dealer for a lot less IME. (Around here, anyway - I can't speak for your area.)

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
If I were you I would be straight onto the Motor Insurance Ombudsman , you will find his phone number with
a simple internet search , its a simple problem of agreed insurance value and easily sorted .
Secondly I don't know of any Jaguar Dealer who operates a Bodyshop , this work is all subcontracted out to third
Parties . What I suspect is happening here is that the Insurance Company has baulked at the Main Dealer Estimate
and probably rightly so , you should if you can , find out who your Insurer recommends in your area , at the end of
the day only you can decide where the car is repaired so don't let them put a gun to your head .
As regards the value of the car I suspect £7800 is about right , again its easily checked by running it into a Dealer

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you accept their cash offer you stand a very good chance that your car will be registered as an economical write-off, which will devalue it for any future sale.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
edit - my car is coming up as a XK8 on autotrader using my registration, if i manually change it to XKR it is actually more realistic £10780

Just over a month ago i reversed into a wall, it caused what looks like small damage to my drivers rear corner. The Jag garage quoted £4920 as the rear wing needs replacing and a lot of work is required, i then sent this estimate to my insurance company. They have refused to agree to the repairs, they are saying my car is only valued at £7300. The repairs are too expensive and this means my car is beyond economical repair ie over 60%. I complained like hell but the claim handler wont let me talk to the engineers or management to dispute this over the phone. I was told to email them with proof of service history and raise a valuation dispute. I have done what they asked, i also told them the cheapest 2004 xkr coupe on autotrader is £13000 but they claim they are only going by the guides like glasses guide etc.

My car has £104k miles, its in mint condition inside and out. Its a 2004 xkr coupe which i paid a decent price for 1 year ago £10,750 and from what i know these cars have not depreciated at all. You cant find a car like mine for anywhere near £7300 on ebay or autotrader. They claim they are following the guides which they are legally bound by apparently.

I done a quick valuation on autotrader, my car is worth £7800 for buying. Can anyone check on glasses guide. Why are these valuations so bad for my car. The insurance company might stick to the £7300 guide price as that suits them.

Bizarrely i was told they could give me £4700 to go and get the car repaired privately at any garage i want, for some reason the engineers cant pay the £4920 repair cost but they can offer me £200 less to go and get it fixed by myself. Im raging i just want my car fixed, luckily i can still drive around in it.
Bertie...

Don't be offended but this is a no-brainer ;)

Stop whingeing and take the cash, you can get it repaired within that easily.

Our pal reddiesel repairs Maseratis! For a kilo of the Good Stuff! Put it in the front tyre! ;)

You can't get ahead with your insurance sadly.

You could always insure with another company right away.

Then prang it in 5 months and get the second one to repair your car properly.

No loyalty? Show them what can happen! You don't need them after this.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Will it effect your NCB if you take the money? Bear in mind that this claim will have to be notified to every other insurance co you approach. But I'd take the money, get some quotes, and never presume that the Manufacturer will provide the best repair. Because they won't.

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
I think the value of the car is about right and I think the Jaguar Dealer Repair Bill is guaranteed to be excessive . Bertie needs to do the same as Frank
and seek out an Agreed Value Policy based on the cars condition and increasing rarity come Renewal Time , no doubt Frank will be glad to advise .

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Will it effect your NCB if you take the money? Bear in mind that this claim will have to be notified to every other insurance co you approach. But I'd take the money, get some quotes, and never presume that the Manufacturer will provide the best repair. Because they won't.
Any Insurance Pay Out is guaranteed to effect his NCB and your advice I think is absolutely correct

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were you I would be straight onto the Motor Insurance Ombudsman , you will find his phone number with
a simple internet search , its a simple problem of agreed insurance value and easily sorted .
Secondly I don't know of any Jaguar Dealer who operates a Bodyshop , this work is all subcontracted out to third
Parties . What I suspect is happening here is that the Insurance Company has baulked at the Main Dealer Estimate
and probably rightly so , you should if you can , find out who your Insurer recommends in your area , at the end of
the day only you can decide where the car is repaired so don't let them put a gun to your head .
As regards the value of the car I suspect £7800 is about right , again its easily checked by running it into a Dealer
Thanks for your reply. Sturgees of Leicester is the Jag dealer and they have a bodyshop outside of Leicester, its actually 3 miles from my house. I dont trust the insurance companies recommended repair centres, i have found these to be of poor standards in the past, that is why i try and take it to the approved bodyshop. The value of the car is not correct though as it does not reflect real world prices.

If you accept their cash offer you stand a very good chance that your car will be registered as an economical write-off, which will devalue it for any future sale.
Yes that is my thoughts too, i tempted to take the money and run.

Bertie...

Don't be offended but this is a no-brainer ;)

Stop whingeing and take the cash, you can get it repaired within that easily.

Our pal reddiesel repairs Maseratis! For a kilo of the Good Stuff! Put it in the front tyre! ;)

You can't get ahead with your insurance sadly.

You could always insure with another company right away.

Then prang it in 5 months and get the second one to repair your car properly.

No loyalty? Show them what can happen! You don't need them after this.
Ha ha that is not exactly legit. I like your way of thinking though. I am not very good at dodgy things, im the guy that usually gets found out. I do think its tempting to take the money and run.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have NCB protection so it wont affect my NCB which is good, as you know they still ask about previous claims so it will still put my premium up. I have been living in England for 18 months now, the problem is i have no idea what repair shops are good or bad, i dont know anyone to ask about where is a very good repair shop. Im my experience manufacturer approved repairers have been good.

I think the value of the car is about right and I think the Jaguar Dealer Repair Bill is guaranteed to be excessive . Bertie needs to do the same as Frank
and seek out an Agreed Value Policy based on the cars condition and increasing rarity come Renewal Time , no doubt Frank will be glad to advise .
Does this mean i cant dispute their valuation due to a agreed valuation not having been previously agreed?

Any Insurance Pay Out is guaranteed to effect his NCB and your advice I think is absolutely correct
Yeah but luckily my NCB is protected.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

I called the insurance company today and i explained to them how a registration based search valuation was bringing up the wrong model ie XK8. I was put on hold while she spoke to the engineer. They did manually check the valuation for an XKR (not using reg). 2 of the valuations were still the same but she said the parkers valuation was higher on this occasion. So getting an average of the 3 valuation the agreed value is £9950.

Chaps, my car has an ongoing gearbox issue with the lurch, im tempted to just take the £9500 and go and buy another car.

They will give me £6500 (revised figure) to keep the car and repair it myself.

They will give me £9500 (revised figure) to write off the car.

this is their email below

'Our Engineers have valued your vehicle, taking into consideration its current market value and its condition.

Your settlement figure is £9517.95. This is made up of the value of your vehicle, £9950, minus your policy excess of £275 and minus the remaining premiums of £157.05.

If you wish to keep your vehicle your settlement figure is £6491. This is made up of the value of your vehicle, £9950, minus your policy excess of £275 and minus the sale of salvage amount of £3184.'

·
7,785 Posts
Drive over to my area. See my friend Martin. He would repair that no problem and do a blo&&dy good job on top. Seriously I will pm you his email. Send him the photos. Tell him Frank with the Jag recommend him and ask him to give you a price. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Ohh and tell him your paying for it privately not under insurance. Cant do any harm. PM on its way,

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Bertie you can't lose!

It's just your conscience and personal pride to override.

Take either offer, I would take the cash, then sell the car for £4k+ as it is.

It's a boon for someone and there are many who can still make money from this one after they buy it.

Or fix it for £1k+ and sell it for £8k+ don't go to town on it, I do know it hurts our pride but as long as the next chap knows what it is, it's his decision and many have bought such cars before.

You'll lose NCB either way but it's really in your favour, get your next car, pop in to gocompare or check the meerkat.

Your premium will very likely be similar and not be more.

Seriously.

Take it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drive over to my area. See my friend Martin. He would repair that no problem and do a blo&&dy good job on top. Seriously I will pm you his email. Send him the photos. Tell him Frank with the Jag recommend him and ask him to give you a price. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Ohh and tell him your paying for it privately not under insurance. Cant do any harm. PM on its way,
Thanks for the pm Frank. This is something i need to think about, i could have a spare bit of cash left over after the repairs are done. The estimate i got is for replacing the entire rear wing, i dont know if this is necessary or not. I guess there is no harm in getting a quote from the guy you know. At the moment i am tempted to take the £9500 and let them take the car away.

The reason i am tempted by the £9500 option is because 1) my gearbox lurch is still here, i have yet to try the adaptation reset or software update but its like driving in sport mode all the time and i get clunks and jerks sometimes too. The gearbox was flawless when i got it a year ago, the gearbox service never cured it. I am a bit disheartened after causing the damage to the car, since i got the car i scuffed an alloy on a stupid kerb in a multi storey car park where the turns were too tight for a car this size, i also hit a bird on the way to work, it flew up from the road and put a mild dent on my front wing. I love this car but as a daily driver i find it stressful finding safe places to park, supermarkets are full of abandoned trolleys and idiots that insist on parking next to me even if i park far away from the shop. So this is why i have been thinking that having a beautiful car like this as a daily driver is not practical. Buying a second car is not really a sensible option either. So taking the £9500 would save me from repairing it and then having the trouble selling it as a car d.

Bertie you can't lose!

It's just your conscience and personal pride to override.

Take either offer, I would take the cash, then sell the car for £4k+ as it is.

It's a boon for someone and there are many who can still make money from this one after they buy it.

Or fix it for £1k+ and sell it for £8k+ don't go to town on it, I do know it hurts our pride but as long as the next chap knows what it is, it's his decision and many have bought such cars before.

You'll lose NCB either way but it's really in your favour, get your next car, pop in to gocompare or check the meerkat.

Your premium will very likely be similar and not be more.

Seriously.

Take it!
Thanks for the reply Jim. My NCB is protected anyway. If you read what i wrote to Franks reply, you will see why im tempted by the £9500 option. It does make sense to take the £6500 and get it repaired for much less. I think because of the 'lurch' issue with my gearbox is why i am reluctant to keep the car. I could get over the other issues i have but at the back of my head is me thinking the Lurch may not be fixed.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Well that's how I calculated roughly Bertie...

Option A. Not repaired, sell £4,500-£7,000 telling of gbox problem too:
£6500+£4500 = £11,000
£6500+£7000 = £13,500

Option B. Repaired except gbox but sale price allowing you to tell new owner of gbox problem with clean conscience:
£6500-£1500+£8,000 = £13,000.

Option C. Repaired, sell near top price with gearbox refurb and warranty:
£6500-£1500-£3000+£11,000 = £13,000.

Do option A! £11,000-£13,000 with no effort. Go for the £7,000 and someone will still bite your hand off!

No brainer. As I said.

Any complaints?

You are slow, chap! Heheheh. :)

Send me 20% if I did you a good turn. Or deliver a good 3-litre 2004 S Type to me here. Surprise for Christmas.

Or... Come over and buy me a few KEOs and we can drink them together!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well that's how I calculated roughly Bertie...

Option A. Not repaired, sell £4,500-£7,000 telling of gbox problem too:
£6500+£4500 = £11,000
£6500+£7000 = £13,500

Option B. Repaired except gbox but sale price allowing you to tell new owner of gbox problem with clean conscience:
£6500-£1500+£8,000 = £13,000.

Option C. Repaired, sell near top price with gearbox refurb and warranty:
£6500-£1500-£3000+£11,000 = £13,000.

Do option A! £11,000-£13,000 with no effort. Go for the £7,000 and someone will still bite your hand off!

No brainer. As I said.

Any complaints?

You are slow, chap! Heheheh. :)

Send me 20% if I did you a good turn. Or deliver a good 3-litre 2004 S Type to me here. Surprise for Christmas.

Or... Come over and buy me a few KEOs and we can drink them together!

Slow eh. Its old age ha ha.

I wish i had your confidence, as i have never sold a car that has been damaged, i am not so sure how much i will get for a car with a gearbox fault and accident damaged. Its a bad time of year to try and sell a car of any kind. When i bought this car a year ago it took me 5 months to sell my Merc E class diesel, there was nothing wrong with the price or the actual car. So i dont want the same to happen again.

The reason the £9500 option is so tempting is because i dont then have the hassle of trying to sell a car in the run up to xmas, i also dont need to go to the hassle of getting the repairs done. If it was the summer then i would probably be more tempted to sell the car as it is and take the £6500.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.