Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my first time, I have 2003 x-type diesel which is suffering with intermediate brake drag. after a couple of miles it gets worse then seems to free itself then gets worse etc. In the past 12 months i have had recon handbrake callipers to the rear and section of copper brake pipe. To try and alleviate the problem I have the front callipers overhauled and new flexies fitted. This did assist but it seems to be getting worse. A mechanic friend of mine states her does not know where to start so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading "The skintman"

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hand brake cable? It may look OK, but from a 2003 car you may wish to replace it. The cable can corrode internally and partially seize. This may be playing havoc with the auto handbrake adjustment in the rear calipers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you explain the problem a bit more? Not sure what "intermediate brake drag" means. Do you mean intermittent? Under what circumstances does it happen? What are the symptoms?

If the problem is that when you take your foot off the brake pedal sometimes the brakes are not released, then I would suspect either a sticky caliper (unlikely as it would cause pull to one side), internally swollen brake hose (unlikely for same reason) or faulty brake servo (most likely).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the reply, when I say intermediate I should have said intermittent (having an older moment) at times the brakes do not seem to fully release. The car will hold without using the handbrake. you can feel it dragging the car back when driving this is more obvious if you have been used to driving the car. To passengers it would not appear that anything is wrong.I can drive a few miles and it will be alright then after a few more miles its back again. The front wheels are very hot to the touch the rear not so bad.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
It sounds like the front callipers need a bit of attention, but I'm surprised they're both affected - I wouldn't have expected them to fail in such a synchronised way ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the problem was first noticed I had a mechanic strip down both of the front callipers and overhaul them they work but for some reason at times don't seem to release fully thank you for you time in replying skintman

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Could be the master cylinder not coming right back after brake release and maintaining hydraulic pressure in one or both of the front/rear hydraulic systems. Does the brake pedal (always) return to its stop? (Not that that would be conclusive wrt the MCyl)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the reply, yes it appears that the brake pedal returns..the brakes are really sensitive you just have to touch them and they are on
regards Skintman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Used to have the same problem with a Volvo I used to drive. When the brakes were dragging I used to give the brake pedal a positive 'tap/dab' with my foot. The brakes used to release. Give it a try. Unfortunately, in my case, it meant that the servo had bit the dust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.