Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2012 XKR 5.0L Supercharged White Convertible LHD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently moved to the algarve and brought the Luxembourg 2012 XKR convertible with me. I bought this car six years ago and absolutely love it. A gorgeous looking machine that can bimble around in comfort and then become alive and a smooth fast sports car. Regardless of the day, I can sit in this and smile, every time. You all know this being on the forum, and I appreciate all of the useful information posted here.

As I am moving to the Algarve on the west near Portimao, I would like to know if anyone has a recommended mechanic around here ? I had a great guy in Luxembourg, but now I am coming up for servicing, and any recommendation would be appreciated. I am not a fan of main dealers, as the Jag/Range rover German dealer we used was just a total rip off at services and not reliable.

Minor things here are resetting the windows, which I saw in a post on a 2008 model which I will try here. I also am seeing some rust spots on the rear boot upper section and hydraulics, and will start searching for some beginner car maintenance and clean up tips in the forum.

Also I have been told to try coke and aluminium foil to clean up the exhausts...any thoughts.

Finally I am at around 60k kilometers and so I am cautious to let the car warm up, as there is a rattle from the engine if it is revved when cold. Its amazing as you get a sense of the car sounds and movements.

I am moving somewhere that does not have a garage which is not ideal for me, and I will have to create a car port, and wonder if putting a cover on it will be worse as it will potentially trap moisture.

A few different things here, if anyone has comments, thank you in advance, otherwise its just so good to be part of this community.

Nick

View attachment 60872

· Premium Member
18,886 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently moved to the algarve and brought the Luxembourg 2012 XKR convertible with me. I bought this car six years ago and absolutely love it. A gorgeous looking machine that can bimble around in comfort and then become alive and a smooth fast sports car. Regardless of the day, I can sit in this and smile, every time. You all know this being on the forum, and I appreciate all of the useful information posted here.

As I am moving to the Algarve on the west near Portimao, I would like to know if anyone has a recommended mechanic around here ? I had a great guy in Luxembourg, but now I am coming up for servicing, and any recommendation would be appreciated. I am not a fan of main dealers, as the Jag/Range rover German dealer we used was just a total rip off at services and not reliable.

Minor things here are resetting the windows, which I saw in a post on a 2008 model which I will try here. I also am seeing some rust spots on the rear boot upper section and hydraulics, and will start searching for some beginner car maintenance and clean up tips in the forum.

Also I have been told to try coke and aluminium foil to clean up the exhausts...any thoughts.

Finally I am at around 60k kilometers and so I am cautious to let the car warm up, as there is a rattle from the engine if it is revved when cold. Its amazing as you get a sense of the car sounds and movements.

I am moving somewhere that does not have a garage which is not ideal for me, and I will have to create a car port, and wonder if putting a cover on it will be worse as it will potentially trap moisture.

A few different things here, if anyone has comments, thank you in advance, otherwise its just so good to be part of this community.

Nick

View attachment 60872
Hi there and welcome to the forum, XKR lovely vehicle

Post up a pic or two when you can.

Can't advise much on dealers / Indys in that area, but there are some knowledgable members here who can help with most things.

Try 0000 wire wool on the exhaust tips along with Autosol and they'll pop.

I'm not personally a fan of car covers, they can cause their own issues, but some use them and are happy, so each to their own.

Hope it all works out
Jim

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forum, XKR lovely vehicle

Post up a pic or two when you can.

Can't advise much on dealers / Indys in that area, but there are some knowledgable members here who can help with most things.

Try 0000 wire wool on the exhaust tips along with Autosol and they'll pop.

I'm not personally a fan of car covers, they can cause their own issues, but some use them and are happy, so each to their own.

Hope ti all works out
Jim

Much appreciated ! thank you,

here is a pic
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Premium Member
18,886 Posts

· Registered
8,161 Posts
It's worth being sensitive to rattles on start up, it could be just a supercharger coupler, for which there is an aftermarket fix. Or, it could be related to the timing chain guides that can suffer from premature wear on the 5.0. Usually at or after 100k miles.
There are updated parts to fix this issue and later 5.0 engines had those parts from factory. Jaguar also updated the oil spec to help.

· Premium Member
25,630 Posts
clean up the exhausts...any thoughts
Are you referring to the outsides or the whole thing including the inside of the tips?

· Registered
455 Posts
Hi and welcome
I keep my car outside in the UK and have used a half cover for many years.
Originally it was to keep the cats off the roof but it has the benefit of keeping all of the weather off.
Even if you use a car most days it still spends most of its time idle and if not in a garage all that Mother Nature can throw at it.
If I was moving to a sunny climate I would definitely have at least a half cover.
Just read the US version on the Jag forum and the owners often are changing the roof and also having the dash top recovered due to the sun shrinking the covering, which in the US the interior mostly leather.
I also use a full cover on a TVR and have done for 16 years that I have owned it .
No issues at all.
Just make sure you don’t buy a cheap one. The full cover I use is 5 layered with an inner layer that is soft and doesn’t scratch the surface.
The covers don’t last forever and I replace them every 4-5 years. It’s the sun/UV that does the damage

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi and welcome
I keep my car outside in the UK and have used a half cover for many years.
Originally it was to keep the cats off the roof but it has the benefit of keeping all of the weather off.
Even if you use a car most days it still spends most of its time idle and if not in a garage all that Mother Nature can throw at it.
If I was moving to a sunny climate I would definitely have at least a half cover.
Just read the US version on the Jag forum and the owners often are changing the roof and also having the dash top recovered due to the sun shrinking the covering, which in the US the interior mostly leather.
I also use a full cover on a TVR and have done for 16 years that I have owned it .
No issues at all.
Just make sure you don’t buy a cheap one. The full cover I use is 5 layered with an inner layer that is soft and doesn’t scratch the surface.
The covers don’t last forever and I replace them every 4-5 years. It’s the sun/UV that does the damage

Dear Woo5ie,

Thank you very much for the advice (y) i will look at the half cover and custom options. Not having a garage is the down side of the house we are buying, and at least creating a car port is top of the agenda !

Do you take extra precautions against rust being outside ?

cheers !:)

· Registered
134 Posts
Nice looking motor, I especially like those wheels.

You need to keep it out of the hot Mediterranean sun or you'll have the problems with the leather covering the dash coming off as the Americans do.

· Registered
1,797 Posts
Welcome and good to have you here.
When you have the chance you should put the details of your car in your account signature box: Type, engine type, year, manual or auto and anything else you want to have noted. This will help members to understand what model they are dealing with at a glance, if or when you have a question or require assistance for a problem.
In the meantime...enjoy, enjoy.

· Registered
455 Posts
Dear Woo5ie,

Thank you very much for the advice (y) i will look at the half cover and custom options. Not having a garage is the down side of the house we are buying, and at least creating a car port is top of the agenda !

Do you take extra precautions against rust being outside ?

cheers !:)
Hi I don’t worry about rust as such. As an aluminium body it doesn’t rust by can corrode.
Corrosion can occur when stone chips aren’t fixed and the corrosion makes its way under the paintwork.
I generally keep it clean with a reasonable level of polish.
That said I do have a couple of small areas of paint bubble that I will get fixed this year .

Maybe you may have to be a bit more vigilant as you will near the coast . Rear sub frames may need a bit of attention as well

· Registered
246 Posts
It might be worth getting the car detailed, paint corrected and then a good ceramic coating to help with the heat.
Although being a white car will reduce that problem compared to others.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It might be worth getting the car detailed, paint corrected and then a good ceramic coating to help with the heat.
Although being a white car will reduce that problem compared to others.

Great idea, I actually was talking to a detail outfit here that I might use.

thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts