Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 2.0d has always been slow to get up to temperature, which I've been assuming is the nature of diesels. It's got worse and worse over the last few weeks, and now only just makes it off the bottom of the gauge.
I'm also slowly losing coolant (drops appearing in the area below the water pump), so I really need to get around to sorting this as well.
Should I be looking elsewhere, or just get on and replace the thermostat and find the leak at the same time?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The stat bolted to the water pump is the oil-cooler one and the one most likely to be causing the problem. Make sure you replace it with a genuine Jag part, about £30 from a dealer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stat bolted to the water pump is the oil-cooler one and the one most likely to be causing the problem. Make sure you replace it with a genuine Jag part, about £30 from a dealer.
Thanks Willber, I had no idea there was another one! Now I know, I now understand the oil cooler one is the usual culprit, so I'll get on and do that one. Whilst the air box is off, it'll give me chance to see if the water pump is leaking.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The O ring can fail on the oil cooler stat resulting in a leak too.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yeah, I was assuming that replacing the stat might cure the leak as well.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Part number is JD61162. Jag dealers have the genuine ones.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Part number is JD61162. Jag dealers have the genuine ones.
YM2Q-6L635-AB Ford part works aswell.and is cheaper :) been on my missus for a month no problems :)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Lots (and lots) of threads on here about using the cheaper equivalents. Apparently some do not operate at the required temperature (82C instead of 88C) and some have O-ring problems. The consensus is that for the sake of a few quid it is best to use the genuine article.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Lots (and lots) of threads on here about using the cheaper equivalents. Apparently some do not operate at the required temperature (82C instead of 88C) and some have O-ring problems. The consensus is that for the sake of a few quid it is best to use the genuine article.
the transit thermostat opens at 88C :), and they are genuine ford parts so it should be good,

i do agree, dont buy the ones you see for £5-£6 because they're garbage

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thirded :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always (well, not quite!) take advice when I've asked for it, so I've ordered a genuine jag part (that will be a first for me!) and I'll report back when it's fitted.

Thanks for all your help, folks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks Willber, I had no idea there was another one! [thermostat].
If (when) the car makes it to the normal running temperature, then if the oil thermostat is failing but the water thermostat is ok you will normally see the temperature guage move up and down by about 10 to 15% depending on how you are driving. If both are OK then the guage should be rock solid (or perhaps a miniscule change under heavy load & accelleration). This behaviour has been reported many times on the forum. Mine sits the width of the needle under the half way mark (so you can just see the mark) moving exactly to the halfway position under load. The oil thermostat on mine failed under warranty but it took the dealers 3 attempts at changing the water thermostat before they changed the oil thermostat because they had to refer back to Jaguar for approval who kept saying it was the water thermostat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm delighted to announce the old thermostat is now out, and it was broken! One of the plastic spring retaining lugs has disappeared, and the spring was sideways on it's seat. Thanks��

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.