Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it seems like having the Alcon calipers is a road to eventual piston seizures and the difficulty in getting parts has anyone sourced a caliper that is a direct swap for them?

Jaguar are now looking for €3,700 for one 6 piston Alcon and Alcon themselves don't make them anymore so there is going to have to be something to replace them at some point.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
There are usually service kits for these things. With new pistons and seals etc. Not sure about the Alcons though

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Is the upright different to the non alcon car?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got Tom Lenthall to fit Alcon front brakes onto my 2014 Dynmic R. I bought the kits from Germany and after reading that the pistons corroded, bought these and had them Caliper Rebuild Kits - Godspeed fitted. My suggestion would be to keep your Alcons and do this stainless steel upgrade, avoiding the corrosion issues in future, as well as retaining the hugely improved braking performance. surprisingly 400mm discs are cheaper as well...

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Since it seems like having the Alcon calipers is a road to eventual piston seizures and the difficulty in getting parts has anyone sourced a caliper that is a direct swap for them?

Jaguar are now looking for €3,700 for one 6 piston Alcon and Alcon themselves don't make them anymore so there is going to have to be something to replace them at some point.
I've had siezed brake pistons on almost every car I've ever owned, had to change a rear caliper on my wife's XF on Monday in fact for that very reason. It's far more common on rear calipers with threaded pistons (for integrated parking brake mechanisms) due to water absorption by the brake fluid leading to corrosion in the threads, than on simple sliding pistons. Check the pistons move freely when changing pads, if any of them feel sticky then have the piston dismantled and rebuilt with new seals (and pistons if required) or do it yourself if you can.

Is the upright different to the non alcon car?
As far as I know the uprights are the same, it's the carrier brackets that are different (obviously).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got Tom Lenthall to fit Alcon front brakes onto my 2014 Dynmic R. I bought the kits from Germany and after reading that the pistons corroded, bought these and had them Caliper Rebuild Kits - Godspeed fitted. My suggestion would be to keep your Alcons and do this stainless steel upgrade, avoiding the corrosion issues in future, as well as retaining the hugely improved braking performance. surprisingly 400mm discs are cheaper as well...
Have a set of seals on the way to try first. If the pistons aren't great then I'll get the full kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts