Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
The base car does not look too bad though - has the better interior and hifi plus nice wheels. Is it on winter tyres? The detailed pictures show quite a few scratches and signs of wear so you would have to check it over carefully and the price should reflect that. The chrome around the lights might be a bit too much but the pedal covers are nice. The LPG tank is not an ideal fit and spoils the boot somewhat.

Does it say it is a Portfolio?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Portfolio didn't start till 2008, those chrome parts are all aftermarket and not Genuine parts.
The 4.2 Portfolio was also a special edition of the XKR only, not the XK. It's essentially an XKR with the Alcon 6-pot front and 4-pot rear brakes and bigger discs, Cremona wheels and "engine spun aluminium" (effect) interior trim, PORTFOLIO inscribed tread plates and most of the options list as standard. In the UK at least they were all available only in one colour, Celestial Black. This is a real Portfolio, for reference:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...portfolio&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
Nice car but that "engine spun aluminium" (effect) interior trim is a tad OTT :)

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Yeah I'm not totally struck on it either. I've seen a few Morgan Aero 8's with a similar trim on the dash and it looks quite good there but I think it's a bit too "vintage" for an X150. If I had a Portfolio I'd be tempted to swap them for the piano black trims as found in the 4.2 XKR-S. They're pricey but you can get good money for the spun aluminium panels too.

I got a spare set of standard wood trim panels and had a local company refinish them in piano black on my own car, much prefer it to the alloy look plastic that was standard in mine.

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
... much prefer it to the alloy look plastic that was standard in mine.
Hmm? alloy-look plastic ...
Mine has something called dark mesh aluminium with piano black. Not sure what it is made of but I don't mind it. Much better than brown wood in an XKR which is also rather vintage :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The base car does not look too bad though - has the better interior and hifi plus nice wheels. Is it on winter tyres? The detailed pictures show quite a few scratches and signs of wear so you would have to check it over carefully and the price should reflect that. The chrome around the lights might be a bit too much but the pedal covers are nice. The LPG tank is not an ideal fit and spoils the boot somewhat.

Does it say it is a Portfolio?
It doesn't say it's a Portfolio, the Chroom around the lights are also to much for me, as the R headrest!, but for the rest i like the 2009-2011 look.
I don't know how it drives on LPG, but the picture of the engine looks good you can't see the aftermarket installation.
And for this one You don't pay extra Tax for the G3 installation and here in Holland Euro95 cost €1,63 vs €0,75 for LPG.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm interested to see that the three buttons under the LCD screen, and also for the seat controls, are chrome edged like later models and IMHO look much smarter. I'd like them too - is it possible to upgrade?

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
R Headrests - I didn't spot them. That car has had the odd bit added/changed along the way. Are the seats and Door cards from an XKR? The standard headrests would have been more honest but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I would hope the chrome can be removed quite easily. Have you seen it in the flesh? LPG prices are rather tempting :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think just the headrests are from an R, the seat bolsters would have different styling otherwise. Seats appear to be "luxury trim", with the perforated leather.

As it's a 2006, the chrome-trimmed seat adjustment buttons must've been fitted afterwards. I recall reading that the centre console buttons were also changed to that silver/tungsten look somewhere in 2008-2009, so it looks like some of those have been retrofitted. However, the front and rear window heater and defroster buttons are black plastic still...

Wasn't Bower & Wilkins only found on the Portfolio models? Same amplifier etc as the Alpine premium system apparently, but different speakers.

Also, the steering wheel rim has 4 distinct pieces of leather, with the bits where you normally hold the wheel being separate from the top part. Mine is made of just two pieces, without the upper gaps visible on that car. Any idea what that might mean?

The B&W and the steering wheel might be results of retrofitting, as well.

·
Administrator
10,096 Posts
Bowers & Wilkins premium stereo replaced the Alpine Premium in 2008.

The updated chrome buttons can be fitted to the infotainment system, you just remove the front shell and swap them over.

You can tell this been done to that car as lower buttons are black and should be grey to match the others.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The updated chrome buttons can be fitted to the infotainment system, you just remove the front shell and swap them over.
Is that a trip to a Jag dealer and £££?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think just the headrests are from an R, the seat bolsters would have different styling otherwise. Seats appear to be "luxury trim", with the perforated leather.

As it's a 2006, the chrome-trimmed seat adjustment buttons must've been fitted afterwards. I recall reading that the centre console buttons were also changed to that silver/tungsten look somewhere in 2008-2009, so it looks like some of those have been retrofitted. However, the front and rear window heater and defroster buttons are black plastic still...

Wasn't Bower & Wilkins only found on the Portfolio models? Same amplifier etc as the Alpine premium system apparently, but different speakers.

Also, the steering wheel rim has 4 distinct pieces of leather, with the bits where you normally hold the wheel being separate from the top part. Mine is made of just two pieces, without the upper gaps visible on that car. Any idea what that might mean?

The B&W and the steering wheel might be results of retrofitting, as well.
This is from the 2011 folder;
Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Vehicle White

And the 2008 folder;

Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Car Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 4.2 Portfolio was also a special edition of the XKR only, not the XK. It's essentially an XKR with the Alcon 6-pot front and 4-pot rear brakes and bigger discs, Cremona wheels and "engine spun aluminium" (effect) interior trim, PORTFOLIO inscribed tread plates and most of the options list as standard. In the UK at least they were all available only in one colour, Celestial Black. This is a real Portfolio, for reference:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...portfolio&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1
The Portfolio was not only for XKR! and not only Black!
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Jaguar/XK/Jaguar_US XK_2013-portfolio.pdf

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looks good and well looked after for the mileage.

Definitely had mods on the fog and main lights.
If you can live with the mods, why not? I'm sure those mods can be removed with ease.

You can tell a well looked after car. This seems a nice example in my view.

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
The 10-way R-Design seats have the bolsters with the ribs.
The 16-way seats, called Luxury (XK) or R-Performance (XKR) were available as options on both XK and XKR but I guess the XKR ones had the logo in the headrests. The later seats were cooled. Not sure about the earlier ones.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.