It all went wrong today.

Norman E

Reaction score
Nice day and my wife had arranged to meet friends for a meal, about 18 miles away. Took the XK. On starting the engine "GEARBOX FAULT" appeared on the dash. Drove out of the garage and stopped the engine while waiting. Restarted, no fault message.

Drove about 6 miles, just past the next village felt vibration and what sounded like a rough exhaust note. Found a lay-by and stopped. Left rear puncture in the sidewall! Had to change the wheel for the space saver. Crummy Jaguar wheel nut spanner simply cammed itself off one nut. Fortunately a local with a landrover stopped and helped and his spider wrench got the nut off.

Arrive a bit late but OK. Afterwards started the car to drive home and a red warning triangle and the words CHECK PEDESTRIAN SYSTEM appeared. Since the bonnet showed no sign of the mortal remains of any pedestrians I drove home. At home a restart was normal with no warnings.

Any idea why I am getting warnings when nothing (apart from the scrapped tyre) appears wrong. Is it a sign of a dying battery?

CanyonLakeJags

Reaction score
On mine, I always suspect the battery. That said, I think it's probably not the most likely cause of the punctured tire. But don't be too certain!

Andy0829

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
On a positive note , you’ve had your 3 things in one day go wrong , you’ll be in the clear for at least a month or more now before any more Victor Meldrew moments 😃👍

Norman E

Reaction score
On a positive note , you’ve had your 3 things in one day go wrong , you’ll be in the clear for at least a month or more now before any more Victor Meldrew moments 😃👍
I hope so. The tyre is most annoying. Its one of the new rear pair of Michelin PS4s I bought after a puncture destroyed one of the old Pirellis, and its only covered about 3000 miles. I drove my old Saab nearly 100,000 miles with only one puncture, and the last one before that must have been about 1980. Yet in the last three years my wife and I have had 5 punctures, three of which scrapped the tyres.

Last edited:

GRTD

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I hope so. The tyre is most annoying. Its one of the new rear pair of Michelin PS4s I bought after a puncture destroyed one of the old Pirellis, and its only covered about 3000 miles. I drove my old Saab nearly 100,000 miles with only one puncture, and the last one before that must have been about 1980. Yet in the last three years my wife and I have had 4 punctures, three of which scrapped the tyres.
Is that down to the tyres, this unusual hot-spell or the chronic state of the local roads?

GRTD

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
…oh yes and back to your original point. Battery. Definitely check / charge / change the battery as necessary

Norman E

Reaction score
Actually a re-check on the punctures. Firstly I can only count three punctures in almost 50 years of motoring covering about half a million miles up to about 4 years ago. The last one of them was on the Saab, about 2002 when I failed to notice a piece of rusty angle iron when I backed into a parking at a remote tourist site in France. That cost me a new tyre.

In the last three or four years a big pothole destroyed a tyre on my Seat Leon, a puncture destroyed a Pirelli P Zero on my Jaguar and now this one has destroyed the replacement Michelin. My wife had a whole set of new Michelin Cross climate tyres on her 4x4 just over a year ago, since then one had been punctured and repaired, and another one scrapped because she drove home on it instead of stopping. So actually five punctures and four destroyed tyres in a period when between us we are covering very little mileage because of the pandemic.
It must be the state of the roads to blame. The latest puncture has pierced the sidewall just outside the edge of the tread and I suspect but cannot prove that its the heavily potholed rods that are to blame.

Norman E

Reaction score