Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of us will have heard dealers trying to promote the X 350/358 as 'future classic' in an attempt to justify the price tag on a car they're trying to sell.

Usually this is followed by "cost over £60,000 new, and that was ten years ago", "last of the proper Jags", and other such lines.

Now, obviously we're all biased but how do posters see the future of the X 350/358? Will it really become a sought-after classic car or actually just end up as another big, obsolete barge, and decline into banger status?

Personally, I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, they're beautiful vehicles whose lineage can be traced back to the first XJs which came out decades ago. But, then again, does that matter? They might just become another old car that basically disappears from our roads.

What do we think gents?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Classics are almost always sport cars or at least coupés. 4-door cars rarely make it into this category, because they simply don't look as good.

A 80's BMW 7 series or S-class Merc go for peanuts conpared to a SL or Porsche of the same age

Same goes for Jaguars.

And then: The proportions on the x350/358 are just not right. I bought the car despite it's looks and it still surprises me how well it drives. I still find it hard though to find it attractive.

Having said that, I do get compliments on my "nice old Jag", recently from an owner of a brand new Mercedes C-class, who asked me, if I would swap.... he must have been joking though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take your point about coupes, Horst, but the price and status of some old saloons sometimes surprises me. Early Ford Granadas, for example, seem to go for a fortune nowadays.

I can't agree with you about the looks of the X350/358 though. I actually think they're really beautiful vehicles, very stylish with great 'presence'.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Granadas and XJ may have something in common: They mean something to people in our age because they where iconic when they where around for the first time and they trigger memories.

So what we see is not only shape but also meaning.

When someone in our age sees a X350 this vision includes all the bells the original XJ rings within us, we see the satus it had when we where young, we remember the admiration, the image of sportiveness and so forth.

The x350 can ring these bells, because all the design quotes are there: The tapered boot, the shape of the grill, the delicate C-pillar, even the long line at the side.

But the proportions are those of a large saloon, while the porportions of it's predecessors where low and slim.

It's getting better in comparison though, because as car design advances cars are getting more and more voluminous, so in comparision one day even the x350 will be sleek.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
I don't see the X Type becoming a high value classic but it will join the ranks of shell we say "lesser classics" that thousands of people enjoy because of nostalgia and there ability to afford to buy and look after

·
Super Moderator
6,468 Posts
The old cars in the best condition may fetch reasonable money one day, when they are very rare and one or two people really want to have one. However, in the main only cars that were very desirable and rare in the first place become really valuable as they become collectors items.

Take a look at any generation of XJs and none are really sought after and expensive. The one that stands out a little is the XJ6C but it is the coupe version! Why should the X350 be any different. Even Roll Royce saloons are not that sought after. It may be nice to have an old Jaguar saloon but prices will mainly be at the lower end of the scale where a decent renovation is way more expensive than the car could be sold for.

People want the XKs and E-Types which were excellent cars in their day, great to look at and were driven by the stars. The later coupes/cabriolets like the XJS and the X100 are picking up a little but these cars were not the best cars of their time and therefore can't be expected to become real collectors items.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I agree in principle with Horst - sports and/or exotica tend to be more sought after, but I'm not entirely sure that is exclusively the pre-requisite for claiming classic status.
Many of us may dream of owning an E Type at some stage and IMHO, there has never been a more beautiful car built.
However, dreams are one thing - practicality is another. I cannot drive an E Type - at least not a manual one.
When I tried, the pedal box was so narrow, I ended up driving in my socks.

I have owned a Lotus 7, so I know about narrow pedals, but that was purely for larks and short-term.
I believe a 'classic' should possibly be the culmination of one's driving experience - one to keep in perpetuity, not for Christmas :-D.
To that end, why not treat yourself to a Rover P5B, a Singer Vogue, a Humber Super Snipe? The list could be endless.

I always find it difficult to believe that any mainstream production car could be a true classic - so many are made nowadays.
Now, try telling that to a Mk2 Cortina owner, or a Mk 3 for that matter.
Millions of the buggers limped off of the production line - what proportion are left today I wonder?

My 10c philosophy - enjoy what you have. The future is way too unpredictable.

Phil.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good post, Phil.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the P5B actually, a vey nice motor. They're also very old and rather thirsty though whereas the X350/358 is obviously much more technologically advanced - yet still somehow quite 'old school'. My X350 still gives me that retro feel whenever I drive it, or even look at it. It's one of the reasons why I like the car so much.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Good post, Phil.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the P5B actually, a vey nice motor. They're also very old and rather thirsty though whereas the X350/358 is obviously much more technologically advanced - yet still somehow quite 'old school'. My X350 still gives me that retro feel whenever I drive it, or even look at it. It's one of the reasons why I like the car so much.
That's hardly ever going to change Westy, those lovely old 'rattlers' we have soft spots for were seldom frugal.
Can you still recall the first car you owned with Electronic Ignition? What a shock that was! (no pun intended).
How about your first Fuel Injected?

I can - now I'm really feeling my age - thanks a bunch! :mrgreen:.

Phil.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can indeed Phil and, to be honest, that's why I don't drive a 'classic' car today - they're just too inefficient to run and take a lot of TLC to keep in tip-top order, and to be honest I've haven't got the time, energy or wherewithal to keep on top of a proper oldie.

So I suppose the X350 is something of a compromise for me inasmuch as I feel it gives me the best of both worlds: classic looks with modern performance.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
When it comes to X350's, I suppose the prime candidate to become collectable will be the XJR. The XJR Portfolio even more so.
They are already thin on the ground so a good one would be worth keeping.

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,625 Posts
Not being horrible but look back through the XJ generations and none of them are worth a substantial amount of money.

IMO it'll be the Top of the line models that'll be worth the most I:E

Super v8 and XJR.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Just to add to that...... Remember the Ford Sierra ??? A 2.0 Ghia might not be worth that much nowadays but try getting your hands on a XR4x4 or even a Sierra Cosworth. They sell for good money and I expect some of the top lineage in most makes of car will attract the top dollar when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just to add to that...... Remember the Ford Sierra ??? A 2.0 Ghia might not be worth that much nowadays but try getting your hands on a XR4x4 or even a Sierra Cosworth. They sell for good money and I expect some of the top lineage in most makes of car will attract the top dollar when the time comes.
Like so many Fords of that generation Jerry, they would rot right there in front of you!

Having said that, I have a colleague from Finland who has 2 Volvo estates and a Capri!
The Volvo's are currently trying to lap the planet in terms of odometer readings.
The Capri is apparently her hubby's pride and joy :-?. Go figure......

Trouble with the Cozzie - like the Rover SD1 Vitesse - they've probably been ragged within an inch of oblivion.
(Which is one reason they developed such beasts) :-D.

Phil.

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
I don't know if comparing a Fast Ford to a Jaguar is really eggs to eggs , Ford and Cosworth at that time had a Rally Pedigree that stretched
over Decades and they milked it to the full with the RS Brand . Its undoubtedly true that many of the RS Sierras were heavily modified though
its also true that its relatively easy to return them to standard spec , its the interior trim and body panels which can be hard to source .
I don't think the X350 or the X358 will prove any more collectable than previous Generations of XJ Saloons and I have cautioned Potential Purchasers
on here many times about falling for Dealers Spiel aimed at inflating the price , stock on forecourts are virtually static with the few potential buyers
baulking at the prices being asked . For Jaguar Enthusiasts the Supercharged Models will always hold a certain allure and cachet , Its my belief that
the X350 is one of the greatest second hand bargains currently in the marketplace , an SE Spec , V6 under 60000 miles , one owner for around £6k ,
whats not to like ?

·
Registered
7,903 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I suppose, to a certain extent, it depends on time scales.
As a lad, I used to drool over the big old Mark 9 Jaguar, and for years after their heyday, they were pretty cheap old barges. Now however, a good'un is pretty pricey.
I would love one, along with an Armstrong Siddeley Star Sapphire , an XK 140 DHC with walnut dash and a Mark 1 Lotus Cortina!
There was a time after the birth of the E Type that XK's were pretty cheap, and as an aside, I was once offered a Triumph Roadster in reasonable nick for about £45!!!!
I have owned a VW Split Screen camper van and they now sell for a lot of dosh........at one time, they were next to nothing.
Classics are in the eye of the beholder; just that some are worth more than others.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Just to chip in about what could or couldn't be a future classic.... I was reminded earlier this afternoon that the Ford Mondeo is 25 years old today....

as for the X350... I'm seriously tempted to treat myself to a Sovereign version when I decide to part with the S-Type... there is a fairly local one on autotrader that has only done 343K miles on its 2.7L engine.

Rick

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.