Jaguar Denso SatNav DVD Drive Cleaning/Tune Up

Reaction score
Downloadable version in my Sig.
I believe this procedure will work on all the Jags fitted with Denso DVD drive, but for this tutorial I've used Jaguar X-Type '02 Drive.

WARNING: Even though it's very simple job If you're not sure what you're doing, don't do it ! If you think your car blew up, or your cat ate your budgie because you've used this tutorial YOU'RE THE ONE TO BLAME FOR IGNORING THE WARNING !

Tools required:

• 7 mm Spanner/Socket
  • Medium size Philips screwdriver
  • small flat head screwdriver
  • small Philips
  • Cotton buds
  • Isopropyl Alcohol or some lens cleaning product

First remove the trim to get access to the equipment rack, then remove four 7mm bolts (two on each side of DVD drive)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next remove five connectors on the back of DVD drive (all by pressing the latch on top, or side of the connector)
3.jpg

Looking at the bottom of the drive press two latches in while pulling the fascia, then swivel it to remove it completely from top latches.
4.jpg

With fascia removed undo four screws, one on the front and three on the back of the drive and remove top cover.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

If you planning on cleaning the lens, remove two small screws and remove the frame that holds the top drive mechanism.
8.jpg

9.jpg

Lift the top of the mechanism (its spring loaded) to access the lens.
10.jpg

Now the fun part, adjusting the power of the laser (by doing that you can force the old laser to give bit more effort while reading the disc,
BUT AT THE SAME TIME YOU WILL GO OVER THE THRESHOLD SET BY MANUFACTURER AND CUT SHORT LASERS LIFESPAN)
Since you've been worn let us continue.

Undo 4 screws around the drive assembly (sorry i thought I've made a photo but i didn't, so i will indicate rough position of the screws) the four screws are easy enough to find.
11.jpg

Lift the assembly taking care not to damage the ribbon, lift the brown latch up with your nail (or if you've just cut your nails use flathead screwdriver/ask missus for help) the ribbon will just pop out and you will be able to remove the assembly.
12.jpg

This step is actually optional but to get better access, you can remove the laser assembly's ribbon, by sliding little brown latches as indicated on the photo.
13.jpg

And here it is, on the photo below you can see the potentiometer which you have to turn ANTICLOCKWISE to let some more juice to the laser, turn in quarters or if your laser is refusing to read even genuine DVD try half turn at the time then stick it back in the car check if your disc is working, if not turn the potentiometer bit more etc.
14.jpg

That's
it, have fun and hope the tutorial help you use your SatNav's DVD drive a bit longer.

SEB.
Any questions sebs [at] inbox [dot] com

Last edited:

iwvc

Reaction score
Was this some sort of factory solution? I've just been inside my DVD unit ( refusing to read DVD) and found the contact ribbons carefully marked with red pen to ensure reassembly the right way round and the adjustment screw chewed up by someone using the wrong type of screwdriver! I bought the car in late 2008 when it was only about 3.5 years old and two previous owners so I would have thought it unlikely that anyone had needed to get inside the unit. Unfortunately for me the adjustment (anticlockwise) seemed to be almost at the end of its travel and I couldn't improve it's reading ability. I just wonder why someone had already carried it out:confused:

Ian C

Reaction score
I doubt anyone in JLR service would bother adjusting laser power, I would say someone was told this can work and went too hard on it, if he knew how things work he wouldn't go all the way to the end of the pot range, if you go too hard it won't read disc either (not to mention killing the lens would be much easier this way) i won't take my unit out but the best thing to do now would be to find out what is the original resistance set, set it to equal value and slowly lower it checking the drive after every adjustment.

iwvc

Reaction score
Thanks. I may have another go later. On my unit there was an additional transparent shield under the metal frame and a tape making access to the laser adjustment screw more difficult, which may have caused the previous person's attempt to adjust it with a misaligned screwdriver chewing the head up? I'll try to get a photo next time I take it apart.

Ian C

Ken Pemberton

Reaction score
Help! I killed it!

Thanks for the excellent tutorial, much appreciated!

Followed it carefully, unfortunately unsuccessfully ("The disk installed is not a map dvd"), so maybe a worn/weak laser wasn't the problem after all. Or maybe the problem I'm left with is just part of the bigger one...

NO ENTERTAINMENT AT ALL. Radio tuner screen comes up, but no sound. CD appears to play, but no sound. CD Changer... system doesn't seem to think there is one!

This "feels" like I've knocked out a fiber-optic connector somewhere... does that sound likely? Anyone come across this before? That cage in the boot is a nightmare to work around (I seem to have some additional boxes crammed into that cavity), so I'd appreciate some pointers before I climb into it again.

One thing... when I removed the fiber cable from the back of the DVD unit, a little spring fell out of it. I couldn't see where it came from. Should I be worried?

Reaction score
Sorry about your setup, I'm not sure what could go wrong with it, as for the satnav drive, I've noticed that during cold months my drive is refusing to work even after it was readjusted (I suppose it's the age/wear)

Ken Pemberton

Reaction score
Lots of poking around the net brought up something interesting... I found pictures of the fiber-optic cables and connectors, and they are alway paired - two per connector. The one in the back of my DVD unit looks like it could hold two, but only has one leading off into the loom. Did I knock one loose somewhere? Has anyone recently been behind their unit and can remember if there are two cables in that plug?

bumbliwa

Reaction score
Thanks Sebastian for your efforts in posting this DIY. I tried all of the above solutions and I think my DVD drive is too far gone. I've checked in with the Denso repair facility in the Netherlands and I might ship it back to them to be rebuilt for 310 euros. Does anyone have any experience with this?
In the meantime I'm going to pick up a used unit online here in the states. Does anyone know how close the part # needs to be when replacing the DVD drive?
Mine is 2R83 10E887 AD with a secondary # of 462100 8119. I assume the last two letters refer to software or firmware versions.
Thanks so much for any response....