Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad gave me his 2005 Jag X type 3.0 tjat had been sitting in his driveway since 2010 in Orlando Florida. Im tryn to get it road ready. What are gonna be my biggest concerns mechanical wise getting it ready? It ran great before he parked it. He had a leg amputated and couldnt drive it anymore.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Hi Allnat,

welcome to our forums.

Sorry about your father's difficulty. He'd probably be thrilled to see her back on the road and go for drives with you.

First I think is a good all-round check for rust, the rear subframe mounts and the long door sills behind the plastic covers.

Drain the coolant all out, there is a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. Flush the rad out with a garden hose and replace the coolant with fresh mix.

You might get an airlock in the system when you change the coolant and they are sometimes hard to get out so do this facing up hill is best.

I would get a new battery, the old one will give you random problems and it's really too old anyway. Here it's a Type 019.

Change the air, fuel and pollen filters, and of course engine oil and filter.

Be careful to have the oil filter fully tightened or it will leak. It's a known problem, I lost 4 litres and nearly destroyed my engine.

Start her up and let us know how she sounds, how she runs.

Let her get to temperature and check the radiator gets warm and then hot, and the radiator cooling fan starts - it may not if your weather is cool, so put the AC on Auto and it should start. Leave the AC on Auto always and just adjust the temp you want, it's a good system designed to work this way. It dries the cabin air in winter.

Get a fault code reader, like the ELM327 OBDII from eBay to use with your smartphone and an app like Torque Lite do you can read and reset codes and read sensors like fuel trims and other live data.

Ducmon and others can advise on better diag tools too.

Keen to hear what you find.

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,625 Posts
If its been standing for 7yrs without being started i would also

Spray fogging oil into the bores to prevent a dry start.
Adding to this make sure you turn her over without the fuel pump relay for a few seconds to get oil around the engine.

Flush out all the fluids especially the brake fluid

Check condition of the sills and rear subframe for rust as mentioned by Jim.

Check tires for signs of decay, rubber degrades with age. So its probably best to replace all four as a matter of course.

Check the condition of the Brake Pads and rotors, again because it's been sitting for 6+ years i would replace them.

ETC ETC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.