Jaguar Mark 2 Tool Kit Spanners

jaguar1966

Reaction score
After many years of ownership, I've only now started to focus on the tool kit of my Mark 2 which was built in April 1966. I've been slowly making sure that the tool kit is complete and correct. One item that clearly is wrong is one of the spanners which is branded Daimler. I've recently bought a Jaguar-branded replacement which is fine except it has highlighted to me that Jaguar used different tool makers for their tools. So the Jaguar spanner I have obtained is Snail Brand but I know they also used a maker called SSP and I have also come across Carrington as well. Question: does anyone know whether these spanner makers supplied by dates or were they supplied and included in the kits in a random manner? So is a Snail Brand correct for my 1966 car or should it be SSP, Carrington or were they mixed up? Amazing after all these years that I can come up with these questions, but does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Bernard Simkins

Reaction score
A very late reply but my fathers Mk2 3.4 in 1965 had snail brand spanners in it as well as Jaguar branded spanners

Bernard Simkins

Reaction score
My father had a new Mk2 3.4 in 1965 which I learned to drive in. I still have the tool kit and some spanners are Jaguar stamped and others snail brand and were original spanners when the car was bought new.

XJ for two

Reaction score
generally they were a mix of tools because not every brand made every type of tool, but the set of 5 spanners would normally be all of the same brand. It doesn't really matter as long as you have the complete set of sizes.

Spencer01

Reaction score
I put a new cable in that way but I think there are 3 screws behind the wood facia to remove the instrument
I know the top dash part needs come off and the center panel needs to come out but I think from what I can see the bezel is larger than the opening in the facia