Jaguar to be pure electric brand by 2025

Zero123

Reaction score
I can't see BoJo still being Prime Minister in 2030 so who knows if brand new ICE cars will still be banned.

Ian D

Administrator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I can't see the USA banning ICE vehicles, so Jaguar are basically writing themselves out of this market, and a lot of others, I would think. The complete idiocy of BoJo and his cohorts in announcing no more ICE cars from 2030, thus making all recently installed factory equipment obsolete overnight is going to completely kill all British motor manufacture. We're doomed basically !
You might want to see what other countries are doing too. Most of major European cities are banning ICE before 2030. By 2040 most of the western countries will have banned it too. The images below were drawn up before UK changed to 2030, more countries have announced their strategy since then.
295372DD-9582-44E5-8F01-D3D597DF44F7.png CB416BCB-E59E-4A2A-BA53-669E1C918E45.png
The new euro 7 emissions coming in the next few years, will basically spell the end of combustion engines too as the emissions targets are just too low to achieve.

Many manufacturers (Volvo, Audi etc) have already announced the end of new engines and will just carry on with existing versions until they can’t sell them any longer.

NM_OLD

Reaction score
This chart says 2035 for the UK? If it's accurate then it's interesting that there's a difference between Scotland and the rest of the UK, will you be able to pop over the border to buy a new ICE car for a few years? The ICE ban in London is more worrying, especially if it spreads to other cities !

Ian D

Administrator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
This chart says 2035 for the UK? If it's accurate then it's interesting that there's a difference between Scotland and the rest of the UK, will you be able to pop over the border to buy a new ICE car for a few years? The ICE ban in London is more worrying, especially if it spreads to other cities !
The image was drawn up before the UK changed to 2030, (the images were correct as of April 2020) Scotland is also now aligned with 2030 and more countries have also announced their strategy too since.

As for USA...

This shows how many cities and states are now pushing towards emissions free.

USA emissions strategy

RWD3M

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
That's quite interesting Ian, thanks for sharing.

Something that is noticeable however is the apparent lack of commitment from the likes of China, India, Russia and Africa, which between them share in excess of 2/3 of the worlds population!

Paul in NE

Reaction score
I can't see BoJo still being Prime Minister in 2030 so who knows if brand new ICE cars will still be banned.
I couldn't even see a bumbling buffoon with hair like the ar$e end of a Hedgehog as a clown, but Prime Minister? My God, what have we come to! 😱

Ian D

Administrator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
That's quite interesting Ian, thanks for sharing.

Something that is noticeable however is the apparent lack of commitment from the likes of China, India, Russia and Africa, which between them share in excess of 2/3 of the worlds population!
China is to ban new ICE car sales by 2035.

China ban ICE by 2035

junglejames

Reaction score
it was the same when they demonised Diesel Cars it killed the market the are a bunch of idiots who are not from the world the rest of us have to inhabit but we have to deal with the nonsense they bring.
Whilst I don't agree with banning ICE vehicles, and firmly believe everybody should have a choice as to what sort of car they drive- At least on this occasion there has been plenty of warning.

junglejames

Reaction score
I have to say I agree wholeheartedly. Everything I've read and heard about Jaguar in the last few months has left me concerned that it doesn't have long left.
It all started when the new CEO started.
A French man who has brought everything he knows from his vast experience of running prestige brands, from Renault 🤦‍♂️

Since Mr Callum's departure, his arch rival Mr McGovern seems to have gained the ear of the new CEO and has rubbished everything to do with Callum - eg the announcements about "from now on all Jaguars will actually look nice" or words to that effect.

And despite the fact that Jaguar were ready to launch the new XJ over a year ago, and would have yet again stolen a march on all the competition (bar Tesla) by launching a luxury electric sports saloon, JLR axed it and said they were starting again with new architecture! Thereby throwing away around £2billion in investment, as well as a big lead on the competition.
So any new XJ even if it happens will be around 5 years off, well behind the competition instead of ahead of it.

Somehow we're meant to be impressed with this visionary management approach?

Now I know the above is quite a jaundiced and maybe flawed view. But it's how I see it at least, and every time I read another JLR press release about Jaguar I wince, because it seems badly thought out and half baked. I can't see any genuine future for it.

Be concerned. Very concerned.
Well I've looked at some more of the ramblings from JLR, and it looks like I may have spoken too soon.
Whilst I do not agree on scrapping the new XJ, some of the things that are being said by McGovern seem quite positive.
ie- It is hinted that Jaguar won't be overrun with SUVs. ie that will be LRs domain.
Plus a few on here say they want Jags to feel special. To not look like other vehicles. Well McGovern seems to be saying similar.

I wouldn't be too hard on McGovern. He has designed some of the best SUVs around. If I had the money, I'd be straight in for a Range Rover.
I for one will give it chance now. Lets see how it goes.

Scrapping the manufacturing of cars at Castle Bromwich and scrapping the XJ seems stupid. But as for McGovern, I will wait until I see what he produces.